• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review The 80-90mm Category: A Melting Pot of Technology and Design

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
80-90mm.jpeg

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article The 80-90 mm category, a melting pot of technology and design.. Please add to the discussion here.

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Phil, Winks...great job. This needs this type of discussion and you've laid out well. Although what about the "3D" side cuts like Faction uses? I believe Volkl does also.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
fliopflops & shorts in a ski video threw me for a hmm we have sub zero at night here some places here. winteris coming
I was like nr 5!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, Winks...great job. This needs this type of discussion and you've laid out well. Although what about the "3D" side cuts like Faction uses? I believe Volkl does also.
I cannot speak about Faction at this point, we haven't been on thier skis. As far as Volkl's 3D, it is a longer radii in the tip and tail, but underfoot, a shorter one. This allows the ski to ease into (and out of) a turn, yet when pressuring the ski underfoot, it reacts quickly. In the past there were elliptical sidecuts that were the opposite of this, with more shape at the extremities and straighter underfoot, IMHO what Volkl is currently doing works much better.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
fliopflops & shorts in a ski video threw me for a hmm we have sub zero at night here some places here. winteris coming
I was like nr 5!
"Casual Day" at SkiTalk Studios.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

In the past there were elliptical sidecuts that were the opposite of this, with more shape at the extremities and straighter underfoot,
@Philpug answered your question maybe without even knowing it. Damn, he’s good! :ogbiggrin:

Faction use an Elliptical sidecut on many of their skis and like Phil mentioned, it’s an opposite and less dramatic multi radius sidecut. One traditional length radius underfoot blended into a slightly tighter radius tip/tail for slightly easier turn initiation while still being very stable when the ski is flat.

The 3D radius is much more dramatic between the different tip/tail and underfoot radius. You can absolutely HAUL on the Volkl when the ski is flat or slightly on edge like a GS/SG ski but when you really pressure the ski in the Center, it becomes much more like a Slalom ski.
Works shockingly well on all their skis.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny, but I tend to think of the Mantra as a wider narrow ski since they feel so chargerish and firm snow oriented.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, but I tend to think of the Mantra as a wider narrow ski since they feel so chargerish and firm snow oriented.
I am not sure I would necessarily disagree with you.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
fliopflops & shorts in a ski video threw me for a hmm we have sub zero at night here some places here.

That's what you get for posting pics of your 648546752 day of skiing when all the other people are broken-heartedly staring at the dead lifts.:roflmao:
Who's laughing now pal? :ogbiggrin:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
When will we see the tapered tip land on the frontside oriented skis?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
When will we see the tapered tip land on the frontside oriented skis?

At risk of asking a dumb question, why would you want a longer ski with a tapered tip for frontside instead of a shorter ski? The primary reasons I can think of for preferring a tapered tip with rocker instead of a shorter ski seem like they would apply primarily to 3D snow.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
At risk of asking a dumb question, why would you want a longer ski with a tapered tip for frontside instead of a shorter ski? The primary reasons I can think of for preferring a tapered tip with rocker instead of a shorter ski seem like they would apply primarily to 3D snow.

Groomers get cut up really quickly and I'm loving my 2023 Kendo 88s as the are unflappable on trail unlike a GS/frontside ski that gets deflected in the piles, chickenheads, chalk.... Plus a 80 ish ski minus a plate can be manipulated and shaped at lower speed (close down the radius & hip drag) instead of having to go 60mph to get the same effects.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Casual Day" at SkiTalk Studios.

And speaking of casual day, if you are looking for a casual day of nice easy going skiing on a ski that will let you get casual then give the PX81 a go. This is not an MX. It is forgiving. You want to skid, slarve, carve or even be a dirty heel pusher this ski is all good. I had the 179 version in about 4" of fresh and it was no problem. I never tried to find the top end on this ski but I certainly got the feeling there is one. And yes it is not a crud buster but works just fine. Never had it the bumps but did have it in Spaulding Bowl at Copper. Most likely won't be a 1st choice for most of the serious skiers on here but worth a look for those just looking for a more relaxed type front side biased easy ski day.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January