• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The absolute best series of skis

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
My current quiver of head monster 88, 98, and 108. I rarely need my 115 pow ski(or any other ski besides the 98 really)

That was my other thought on the thread, but I havent been on the 2010s vintage monster series. My equivalent was just using an M-Pro 105 for any open terrain and then figuring I’d be “ok” with an M-Pro 90 or 99 or whatever whenever I wanted to ski at a mountain without a ton of high alpine bowls. I’d still be kind of bummed about the absence of what I think of as a real pow ski though.

Speculatively the Rossi Black Ops line could work similarly, I’d just use the Squad 60%+ of the time but I haven’t been on mine yet. Still, that seems like a boring answer.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
1 brand/series would be tough.

My daily driver is a Stockli Stormrider 88. For carving I have a Head Super Shape 77 but I'd love a Stockli but it would not be a SR. For deeper/softer snow I have a Nordica 104 because it's a lot more playfull and forgiving than a Stockli SR.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone who tests a lot skis each year I would go with . . . wait, wait a second, hold on boss is calling me, be right back!

Unfortunately I have just been informed that the Skilluminate is tracking me and I am not allowed to answer these questions at this time, please try again later.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Finally took out my Head Wild Joys yesterday and holy moly are these skis awesome. Soft packed spring snow with the occasional hard pack patch. The Wild Joys didn't let me down. Super easy to ski and did everything I asked of them.

I love my Super Joys and now can say I love the Wild Joys as well. What a series of skis.

SmartSelect_20231226_095527_Gallery.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ok today I skied my Head Super Joys at Bromley and these skis are truly rockstars. Bromley was 40ish degrees and overcast. Conditions were crusted over hardpack and not a stitch of soft snow. My SJs KICKED A$$. I seriously love these skis. Held an edge and didn't waiver once even on pretty steep pitches. I've said i loved them before but today was the day I learned to 100% trust these skis because they have my back. I even went down lower twister which is under the chairlift and even with the super hardpack conditions these skis held on for deer life and I felt so solid.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I could see sticking to one series of skis if I was based out west. Not in the East though. I like a race inspired proper carving ski for the many hard snow days we have. A narrow Enforcer or Mantra etc, won't cut it for me.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My Stocklis are all pretty awesome too;.all stormriders of varying widths. Volkl Blaze 106s are awesome too. Then there's my dynastar 67 underfoot slalom skis. So many great ski brands.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty easy: Laser FIS SL, WRT, GS, GS FIS and SC/AX-for December skiing.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My Stocklis are all pretty awesome too;.all stormriders of varying widths. Volkl Blaze 106s are awesome too. Then there's my dynastar 67 underfoot slalom skis. So many great ski brands.
Base on other posts you could add the Head Joy family of skis?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
K2 VO's from the 80's were my favorite!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
K2 VO's from the 80's were my favorite!

Same. In fact, although they wouldn't measure up to current top of the line skis, I'm going to say the all time best series was K2's 610, 710, 810, 910, their related FO variants, then the first cousin 712, 812, and 912s capped by the VO Slaloms.

And every darn one made on Vashon Island, well, until they weren't.

Fight me!

Last edited:

Ryan Perham

Putting on skis
Skier
I think this is a fun exercise. I think I would go with the K2 Mindbender since they have ti and c variants.

Hardpack – 89ti
Daily driver – 96C (tighter terrain) or 99ti (more open terrain)
Fresh snow – 106C (tighter terrain) or 108ti (more open terrain)
Big dumps – 116C

The only thing missing is a groomer only ski.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
No question, the ********* ************* collection. ;)
Yes, no question, the ***Mind*** ***bender*** collection. ;)

Highly-functional, strong skis that aren't too much of handful for non-experts, all well-tuned to all their various widths.

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
“Volkls Only”
Race tigers for bullet proof days
Kendo 88 for hard pack groomers
Mantra 102 daily beasts
Katana 108s for fresh up to 2’
Revolts 121 for the deep

i sprinkled in a Moment Countach
and both the Vwerks mantra and katana for bc/at

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Of ski series currently available, out of nowhere, I'll echo the Mindbender votes above. Have owned and loved the 108ti for 3 seasons. It's all the width I need for a resort pow ski.

Grabbed a pair of the newer 99tis to replace my aging Enforcers and find them better in every way except, perhaps, at speeds that my knees should no longer be skiing.

They "pull" eagerly into a turn for a 100, to the point that I'll likely be bottom fishing for a pair of 89tis this spring......or Forza 70s or Line Blades, or, or, or -- this Ski Talk Forum can be a dangerous place! :ogbiggrin: