• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The absolute best series of skis

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not really. It would be more like if you had to pick one series, it could be the best average of all the 3 or 4 skis you pick. I'll give an opinion here. I love the Nordica Enforcer 88 and the 94, 100, 110 free all get rave reviews so why wouldn't that be a great series to choose?
Well if you are keeping it limited to one particular discipline then you have to specify that particular discipline when asking what brand and product category. The answer for race skis will usually be very different than the answer for park and pipe or all mountain..

Like the cars/trucks/bikes example.. Small engine FWD/AWD will be different than large engine RWD answers..

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well if you are keeping it limited to one particular discipline then you have to specify that particular discipline when asking what brand and product category. The answer for race skis will usually be very different than the answer for park and pipe or all mountain..

Like the cars/trucks/bikes example.. Small engine FWD/AWD will be different than large engine RWD answers..
Well, I don't see a lot of posters that come off as park skiers, many ex-racers but not many still active so I would think all mountain skiing? Seems to be the majority of posters on here.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
That would be my response too but what about BIG trucks and semis? RWD Muscle car? Honda's core competency is small engines..
Which seem to work okish in Red Bulls - don't see your big American lumps doing much better ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, I don't see a lot of posters that come off as park skiers, many ex-racers but not many still active so I would think all mountain skiing? Seems to be the majority of posters on here.

Nah, I think you had it right in your OP.

Rephrase it as: What series of ski models covers the greatest portion of your individual skiing, and no pigeonholing of ski types or skier types is at all necessary (nor desirable).

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
One reason for my question is I was kind of going to head in the direction of one series. It was going to be Nordica Enforcer series. The problem is when I find a great deal on a ski I've wanted to try or it has great reviews I buy it. The one problem for me with the Enforcer series is I wanted a low 80's frontside ski. I ended up with a Brahma 82 and love it. I then questioned myself why wouldn't I love the Brahma 88? Problem is I already have the Enforcer 88. For my East Coast powder ski I was going to go with the Enforcer 110 or 104 Free but I got a great deal on here on a Kastle BMX 105 HD. Now I'm all over the place. I have other skis but now my main skis are Brahma 82, Enforcer 88, Kastle FX 96 HP (hasn't arrived yet), Kore 99's and the Kastle 105.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nah, I think you had it right in your OP.

Rephrase it as: What series of ski models covers the greatest portion of your individual skiing, and no pigeonholing of ski types or skier types is at all necessary (nor desirable).
It's the word "absolute" that has me going off. Also, why would anyone want an entire quiver of skis for essentially similar conditions and tasks? The point of a quiver is DIFFERENT tools for different situations..

TS
East Coast Scott

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's the word "absolute" that has me going off. Also, why would anyone want an entire quiver of skis for essentially similar conditions and tasks? The point of a quiver is DIFFERENT tools for different situations..
Are you trying to say these skis in the same series all ski the same and aren't different tools for different conditions? How can you say the Enforcer 88 and the 104 free are for similar conditions?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Are you trying to say these skis in the same series all ski the same and aren't different tools for different conditions? How can you say the Enforcer 88 and the 104 free are for similar conditions?
Ya, they are both soft snow skis.. But the Enforcer isn't the Free. Aren't those different models/series?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I don't think it can be done properly with one series. It's hard enough with one brand.
Unless of course your skiing doesn't encompass a wide variety. Lots of great deep snow ski companies don't even make a narrow ski, let alone a racing ski (if they make racing skis they probably make speed skis too - so that's covered). And if they do make a racing ski, it surely isn't in the same series as their powder ski.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't think it can be done properly with one series. It's hard enough with one brand.
Unless of course your skiing doesn't encompass a wide variety. Lots of great deep snow ski companies don't even make a narrow ski, let alone a racing ski (if they make racing skis they probably make speed skis too - so that's covered). And if they do make a racing ski, it surely isn't in the same series as their powder ski.

This is more or less my reaction to the thread. If I wanted a ~90 mm all mountain ski and a 115+ powder ski in one series I don’t have a lot of choices. I have even fewer choices if I also want a touring ski (in fact, I can think of about 2 or 3).

Really the only way I could answer the question is to choose which conditions and use cases I prioritize and I’m not sure that tells you very much about the skis.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thinking about it a bit more, probably I’d just choose the Dynastar M-Pro line and use the Pro Rider for everything.

Rossi black ops, assuming I like the Squad, could be even better because I can use the Squad for everything but deep powder days and touring.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The way Head markets some of their skis is pretty much made to order for this thread.

The Joy series of women's skis, lead by the hugely popular Total Joy, as well as the wider powder ski, the Great Joy. There is also a narrow Absolute Joy and a hard charger Wild Joy.

Then Head followed with their most successful ski series launch in Head's history: The Kore series, lead by the Kore93 ( I have a pair and love 'em), and also featuring a Kore87, Kore99, Kore105, Kore117.
I agree with Head being perfect for this thread but I am basing it on the Super Shape series. The i Super Shape was so good they added the e Super Shape.

Sponsor

Staff online