• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The adventure begins again - Patroling at a new resort

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last week I accepted a job for the upcoming winter at Megeve! Probably as different a resort as possible from last winter at La Romme, but just the oposite side of the same mountain, les Aravis.
This winter I will not be a lifty, a mechanic, an electrician. I will be a full time patroler and part time info post.
My mornings will start earlier and my days will finish later, but the drive will be shorter.
I will have to ski many runs to open them and at the end of day close them. Many more signs to put up and take down.
I will probably have to do more than 5 rescues in a season, wont be surprised if I end up doing more than 5 a week.
Lunch is provided and if I'm not to busy I get an hour to eat it. No more packed lunch on the go!
There will be co workers and Colleagues to learn from, not make it up as I go along.
There are procedures, plans and preparednes, not just thrown the keys and told best of luck.
New uniform of many parts not just a used Jacket with a name on it.
Why did I get the job, they wanted an experienced person with real English skils (They only have one other real english speaker on the whole operations staff). As a bonus I'm happy to do high wire rescue (aparently the majority of staff are terrified of it?)
Am I looking forward to it, hell yes. Any terpedation, yup they grilled me for 10 min about where my rugby loyalties lie....and I don't even have a telly!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats and have a fantastic season!!! I cross country skied there once when working in Geneve, was tickled by how I had to take a gondola to cross country ski.

I find the skills so useful in general, even helped tend to someone with a deformed wrist on Via Ferrata just last week.

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
First day. First aid refresher. Some theory,

20221126_111355.jpg

Some practical

20221126_113624.jpg

And the room (patrol office) has a view.

20221126_162304.jpg

We do need some snow. Not scheduled to open until the 17th so not worried.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was in Chamonix this summer hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc. I had to look up Megeve, we were close by apparently.

I did spend some moments gazing a all the lift networks and daydreaming of a winter season return.

Best wishes for your new job!

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was in Chamonix this summer hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc. I had to look up Megeve, we were close by apparently.

I did spend some moments gazing a all the lift networks and daydreaming of a winter season return.

Best wishes for your new job!
Nice. My summer job is guiding the TMB!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice. My summer job is guiding the TMB!
Cool! While relaxing with a beer in the afternoon shade outside the hotel in Trient, we were chatting with some folks who were part of a guided tour group. They told us how their guide, after the days' trek and getting everyone squared away for the end of day accommodation, goes out for a run! LOL.

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cool! While relaxing with a beer in the afternoon shade outside the hotel in Trient, we were chatting with some folks who were part of a guided tour group. They told us how their guide, after the days' trek and getting everyone squared away for the end of day accommodation, goes out for a run! LOL.
Some of my friends, Gary and Heather both do that, as will Rob if he's had a slow group!

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's been over 2 months since I've updated this, sorry. In that time we got rained almost shut, got snowed on and 2 rounds of holidays (in the middle of the 2nd set).

Every morning I open runs, I am lucky we get a different circuit (we have 9) each day, some resorts you stick to one for the season. Sometimes it's so fresh you follow the piste bashers as they go home. Early season we see sunrise on the mountain.

PatrolSunrise.jpg

Not all the runs can be accesed by gravity at the start of the day, so we call and uber and get a tow (these are lifties going first)

[media]
Sometmes reopening runs that have been shut for a while

PatrolPoles.jpg

Some morning there is a fair bit to fix

PatrolFence.jpg

Mornings are usually quite in terms of rescues, so we spend time making sure things are right (in some parts of the ski world there is trail crew to do this, but here it's patrol). After the last big snowfall we had to find all the buiried safety mats and dig them up

Patroldignmat.jpg

Lunch is taken in shifts so there is always someone on call - NOW, not 5 min later after extracting yourself from a resturant. In Megeve we do eat quite well ;)

PatrolLunch.jpg

Early afternoon is when we get most calls, I've been lead or solo on more than a dozen and aid to three times that number so far this season. A few scary ones but nothing that you can't recover from (eventually),a few anoying ones that you may not get called for in another country and whole bunch of knees!

PatrolRescue.jpg

I've only been on two heli assisted rescues so far, one was quite serious and both were in places that are hard to get out from with a person in a rescue sled.

PatrolHeli-1.jpg

Sometimes you end up in a corner thinking how am I going to get them out of here. When it's not a serious accident (or other mitigating circumstances) we can't just call for a heli. This one in a stream bed took a bit of thought and making a escape route on foot.

PatrolOffPiste-1024x576.jpg

Once we've found you, stabilized you, then it's off by sled to the ambulance

[video]
At the end of the day we get to watch the sun go down from the top of the mountain

PatrolSunsetPost-576x1024.jpg

We each have a run or runs to close on the way home, sometimes they are a bit of a mess

PatrolClose-1024x576.jpg

And sometimes its nice

PatrolSunset-1024x576.jpg

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Season is now very much done and dusted, I am back into jack hammer n drill mode (House foundation). This was my first full season of being a real ski patroler. Because it was my first I realy enjoyed it, BUT. It was full of ups n downs, especially downs caused by mother nature. Some major parts of the resort were closed and opened again 4 times.

Until mid december, I'm really going to miss seeing this at the end of my commute.

20230402_081033.jpg

And having this for my toilet window
20230320_083028.jpg

Think this is a pic of our last real fesh snow day, 4th of April or so. We've just skated over from the Teleperique (Tram) beind us and have stopped to say hi to Jean-Eves (in Blue) The Mechanic/Electrician in charge of the Caboche Telecabne (Gondola) before we ski off to open our assigned runs for the day.

20230320_081848.jpg

On the skate accross the flats this is the view as the sun crests the Italan border to shine into France

20230304_081226.jpg

Some days you just have to make the most of what snow you have (I'm driving not skiing).

Being a season of open one min, closed the next we had 140 less rescues than the revious year, but I was still involved with this contraption 4 times. (I think there was 30 or so helis called this year)

20230228_134210.jpg

To deal with this sort of rescue, not always of piste but serious (An 11 year old with a suspectd broken Femur) case.

20230228_124544.jpg

And towards the end of season a fair few calls like this, get there and somone let the wrong lifty use a radio, you turn up and the kid has long since picked them selves up and is back doing laps.

20230304_134741.jpg

Way too much of the season the runs looked like this, we would love to install snowmaking here. And it's not money or resources that are stopping us. It's running a ski area with 238 different property owners, and a few (a very small few) are a PITA

20230304_163839.jpg

Resulting in a client experience like this. These runs were actuall closed, but in France, that means please don't go. And if you do have an accident you are footing your own bills becuse you invalidated your insurance (although it will still be lesss than your co pay in the USA).

20230225_110333.jpg

In the end we threw in the towel with the runs in the middle of the resort and bit by bit dismantled all of the signposts and safety gear. This is the tower/pylon protection.

20230331_114300.jpg

Of course we got a few dumps of snow needing the digging out of the signs on the runs that remain open.

A fair number of people didn't understand why we couldn't just re open the closed runs. Even if everything was still in place, 30cm (a foot) of snow over mud n grass, while nice looking, dosen't make it skiable.

20230311_095018.jpg

At the end of the season we closed the main area a week earlier than in a good year and the upper area 2 days later - it then snowed for 2 days straight, but it also rained to the summits and everything slid bigtime.

Am I going back? Put it this way I've already returned the neccesary paperwork to say yes.

Sponsor