• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Anti-Spacer for Forks

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's pretty awesome. Always been the short-coming of air suspension. Coil is so heavy but so supple. This is a great product and hopefully becomes standard equipment...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Coil is cool but I would need 2 springs. One for my "winter" weight and one for my "summer" weight. Also I would need another for when I load up my pack for longer rides...

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's pretty awesome. Always been the short-coming of air suspension. Coil is so heavy but so supple. This is a great product and hopefully becomes standard equipment...
Yeah, I'm always that guy who takes all the spacers out immediately.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read way too much of this stuff, and was intrigued by the approach, but I don't get the idea that you can get more air into the chamber by putting these (admittedly high-tech) volume reducers into the fork.

Isn't this governed by good old reliable PV = nRT?

Probably reading too fast.......

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I read way too much of this stuff, and was intrigued by the approach, but I don't get the idea that you can get more air into the chamber by putting these (admittedly high-tech) volume reducers into the fork.

@mdf, please weigh in!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

My sense was that they would not describe it as "getting more air into the chamber." I think they would describe it as "finding a way for a given number of molecules to fit into a given space under less pressure".

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@mdf, please weigh in!
The idea is that more gas molecules can stick to a surface than can fill up an empty space. And this high-tech charcoal has a lot of texture so a LOT of surface area. It never occured to me that the sticking was pressure-dependant and reversible. Very clever!

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The idea is that more gas molecules can stick to a surface than can fill up an empty space. And this high-tech charcoal has a of texture so a LOT of surface area. It never occured to me that the sticking was pressure-dependant and reversible. Very clever!

Isn't that how pressure swing adsorption oxygen concentrators work? And non-liquid CO2 scrubbers?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Presumably. But those are not something I've ever had reason to think about.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps this is something like the polar nature of water?

The world would be a very different place if water were non-polar.

For instance, ice would not necessarily form at the top of a lake.

And pipes might not burst when they froze.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Perhaps this is something like the polar nature of water?

Yeh, not sure about polar but you're right about the ice @ top. The liquid version of this trick is a toy called a Cartesian diver. Higher pressure -> gas dissolves in liquid -> liquid density decreases so floaty things sink. Reversible, ofc.

Kinda funky, hey? Ice only floats at a certain range of pressures. Think about that the next time anyone talks about frozen pumping pipelines anywhere.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeh, not sure about polar but you're right about the ice @ top. The liquid version of this trick is a toy called a Cartesian diver. Higher pressure -> gas dissolves in liquid -> liquid density decreases so floaty things sink. Reversible, ofc.

Kinda funky, hey? Ice only floats at a certain range of pressures. Think about that the next time anyone talks about frozen pumping pipelines anywhere.

Fun with math and science!

It's the ordered, inflexible crystal lattice structure of ice that results in floating, not the polar nature of the water molecule specifically -- I knew I was reaching a LONG ways back in the brain on this one.

Great article on floating ice:

13 known types of ice?!?!

Sponsor

Staff online