• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Art of Falling

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I was in middle school I had a soccer coach that made us do falling drills over and over again. You know, reach out an arm but using it to absorb the fall, tucking it in and rolling out on to the shoulder and then all the way around. He thought us to never stiff arm an impact the way so many beginner snowboarders do resulting in wrist and arm breaks.

That coaching has saved my ass so many times over the years.

If there's any new-is parents reading this teach your kids the same. It's huge. You can't get really good at these sorts of higher risk activities unless you really know how to fall. It's am invaluable skill honestly.

EasternSkiBum

Booting up
Skier
The only motion I can think of to reduce disaster is to try to get your feet downhill so you can use the edges to arrest your speed.
That's how I chunked off my tibial plateau... skis dug in and my momentum shoved my femur through my lateral meniscus and chunked a piece off the tibia. 3 month recovery from that surgery... now I'm getting the whole knee replaced largely because of it.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's how I chunked off my tibial plateau... skis dug in and my momentum shoved my femur through my lateral meniscus and chunked a piece off the tibia. 3 month recovery from that surgery... now I'm getting the whole knee replaced largely because of it.
Still, probably better than hitting a rock or a tree

Sponsor