• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Art of Falling

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What are you guys doing to fall so much? I guess I need to ski harder to keep up, but I prefer not to fall.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
What are you guys doing to fall so much? I guess I need to ski harder to keep up, but I prefer not to fall.
How many days did you ski/ fall this year? I'll go first. 4 falls in 53 days. No none were in the lift line.:philgoat:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
How many days did you ski/ fall this year? I'll go first. 4 falls in 53 days. No none were in the lift line.:philgoat:
40 days, 4 falls. 2 were on sheet ice and one turning around on flat ground at the base...‍♂️

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It's about one fall per 30 days, 1/2 are non-consequential and due to inatention - fiddling with my pole straps or something. The last one was booting out on ice. When I first started skiing it was more like 10 per day for a couple of years, but non were damaging. Now most result in some type of injury. So far, no injuries that would prevent me from skiing.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I've fallen 3 or 4 times this year. Two were on the same bump run when I ejected from the heels. Bindings were a bit low but more likely due to bad form. One was the photo in my avatar.

Make it spectacular!!!!!
tempImagesZDwU0.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That’s not so bad. I don’t think you quite qualify as an expert faller though. I ski about 30 days a year and fall once or twice, usually when I am just cruising along and not really trying to stay athletic.

I did have a good one last year when I went off one drop fast, then skied up a hill on the side of a trail, tried to jump off another drop, got caught up on a stick under the snow, and fell off about 6 feet flat on my face. My good luck falling ended when I broke my collarbone a few months later mountainbiking.

James

Out There
Instructor
4 falls in one season?
I had two head planters last week and thise are just the ones I remember. One was tough to get the ski out of the deep slush. The other was supermaning into slush on steep after the click of binding release.
That’s just the ones I remember, and no I’m not buying people a beer. That’s the stupidest thing ever. Those not falling should buy the beer.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... I had three crashes just in the trees this year... thankfully not tight trees and didn't hit anything. (I tend to ski very slowly in trees - I'm not that good.)

I can think of a couple of others at least, but I'm sure I'm probably missing a few. Some aren't very memorable.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I must be an expert faller. First trip of the year, I'll fall once a day, sometimes more. Tend to not fall as often as the season goes on.

I fall enough that I don't bother counting the times. These falls are self inflicted -- I'm not colliding with anyone or anything. Just lose my balance sometimes, typically I am inclining too far inside and fall over... I tend to fall on easier terrain trying to get bigger angles or playing with technique stuff. On steeper terrain and/or moguls, it is unusual for me to fall. Falls where consequences are high (ie at high speeds, or on steep terrain) are very rare for me.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I only fall directly under the lift when people are watching. So I don't ski there. Or in big lift lines. So I try to avoid them too.
So you don't fall at all.... :hail:
4 falls in one season?
I had two head planters last week and thise are just the ones I remember. One was tough to get the ski out of the deep slush. The other was supermaning into slush on steep after the click of binding release.
That’s just the ones I remember, and no I’m not buying people a beer. That’s the stupidest thing ever. Those not falling should buy the beer.
We have a code if you fall you buy. However, if no one saw it,it never happened. PS-brush off any snow.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Interested in this topic as I just had my first major ski injury 2 weeks ago (grade 1-2'ish MCL sprain).

I think park rats are the ones to look to as their discipline has exponentially more instances of falling and crashing compared to regular skiers.

This video has good drills to build kinesthetic awareness of the crashing or falling motion. I will try to integrate these drills on my next ski trip

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online