• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
pro straps will be with you guys over there soon, we had our delivery here in the UK a couple of weeks ago :thumb:

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Lol @cem nothing yet. I may have missed it but anyone heard if the straps going to be available through the atomic website, retailers or both?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say both, I ordered mine through my local ski shop that carries Atomics and I think I saw them on their website too.

Mine have not come in yet, but the shop said October to me.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Lol @cem nothing yet. I may have missed it but anyone heard if the straps going to be available through the atomic website, retailers or both?
Sorry I missed your original question, usually product is not available directly through the USA website. But, if you click on one of the Professional boots, you can find a Professional dealer in your area who will most likely have the straps. Just give them a call and they can tell you their delivery date.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I missed your original question, usually product is not available directly through the USA website. But, if you click on one of the Professional boots, you can find a Professional dealer in your area who will most likely have the straps. Just give them a call and they can tell you their delivery date.
I've probably missed it somewhere in this thread, but how can I see on the Atomic website which dealers are Professional dealers?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I've probably missed it somewhere in this thread, but how can I see on the Atomic website which dealers are Professional dealers?
You'll have to click on a Professional boot and look at the dealer locator.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
@onenerdykid I'm in CO, called a bunch of shops, big and small, online and retail, mostly in but some out of state. Only 1 is carrying them, no one else has them on order. Sample size of 12-13.

Having done plenty of global launches over the years, that’s a problem imo. Think you may be running into a launch execution issue, some channel confusion or a combination of both. If I was talking to the folks in the shops in person about the Pro Dual Strap, my guess I’d be encountering a lot of blank stares.

I don’t think making products and parts available through the Atomic USA website is a bad idea and I doubt you’d disintermediate new boot sales. Customer support is rarely a bad thing, unless it’s done poorly. Incremental revenue is also never a bad thing. Honestly it’s a powerstrap, an accessory, and from a customer perspective most customers aren’t going to put in a lot of effort to find the new strap and will buy a readily available booster strap or patriot strap instead. I’ve always started at my customer and worked backwards.

Btw if anyone is interested, Racers Edge in Breck has them in stock.

Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid I'm in CO, called a bunch of shops, big and small, online and retail, mostly in but some out of state. Only 1 is carrying them, no one else has them on order. Sample size of 12-13.

Having done plenty of global launches over the years, that’s a problem imo. Think you may be running into a launch execution issue, some channel confusion or a combination of both. If I was talking to the folks in the shops in person about the Pro Dual Strap, my guess I’d be encountering a lot of blank stares.

I don’t think making products and parts available through the Atomic USA website is a bad idea and I doubt you’d disintermediate new boot sales. Customer support is rarely a bad thing, unless it’s done poorly. Incremental revenue is also never a bad thing. Honestly it’s a powerstrap, an accessory, and from a customer perspective most customers aren’t going to put in a lot of effort to find the new strap and will buy a readily available booster strap or patriot strap instead. I’ve always started at my customer and worked backwards.

Btw if anyone is interested, Racers Edge in Breck has them in stock.
Feedback received loud and clear. But, you really need to remember how much of a disaster this past year has been due to Covid, and the consequences of it are far from over. There is no such thing as a "successful launch" when global industry sales are down by 30-40%, marketing budgets are slashed by 80%, factories have 700 day lead times (if they are even open, which many still aren't), and people weren't allowed go to work or allowed to go skiing for that matter (ski resorts in France weren't allowed to open this past winter and most ski shops in Europe were closed all season). And the fact that major tradeshows were cancelled meant the vast majority of retailers weren't able to see/touch/try any new 21/22 products. They mainly ordered gear based on rumor or on the picture of a sample. That brands have been able to launch anything at all is honestly nothing short of a miracle. Thank god I'm not working in the bike industry, it's even worse there.

As for selling online, I am mostly in agreement with you. The main problem is the vast majority of the ski industry is retailer based, not end user based, therefore most of the focus goes to retail. With that said, I think there is totally a way to balance things out that works well for both. Unfortunately, our industry is very stuck in old ways but I hope that changes soon because it really needs to. Especially around spare parts.

Ultimately, I share your frustration because I want everyone to be able to get the cool new gear they want. Unfortunately, it's not going to be easy for anyone, whether you are looking for skiing equipment or bikes, components, etc. If anything is on your radar, you'll most likely need to do some searching and pull the trigger quickly because there's not going to be any excess stock floating around this year.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
my local shop knew 100% about all the new atomic stuff, the local atomic shop also at local indoor, even the place I bought atomic on sale at the foot of a remote hill knew and had it incoming so here the level has been very good, they know everything knew, and will stock everything. this is europe, norway though.

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
You'll have to click on a Professional boot and look at the dealer locator.
Hi ONK. When I do this, it shows all of the local ski shops in my area (Southern New Hampshire) that carry Atomic. I’d be surprised if they all plan on carrying the professional line and have been trained to fit the professional liner. Is there a way to find out which shops have or will be trained to fit the Professional boot?

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Unfortunately, our industry is very stuck in old ways but I hope that changes soon because it really needs to.

This…time for folks to start thinking in a disruptive/lateral manner. I’m not sure the level of sophistication in your ERP system, here’s an idea, as a former tech/web guy not a huge project by any means…
- First get all the products/parts up on the website
- Customer goes to the Atomic website
- Checks a box for item/s they’re interested in
- Queries order/PO database and presents a targeted list by proximity, not just a list of retailers in the area. That way they’ve got likely/hot targets.
- My guess you could pull from the web/IT budget to make it happen
- Your retailers will like it because you’re keeping it in the family

Lol if people there like the idea, send me some Atomic gear and we’ll call it even.

Ran into the similar thing in med device… it’s a very risk/tech averse industry, because it’s life and death, literally. However, you need to innovate to improve outcomes. I wanted to incorporate AI, Machine Learning, Augmeted/Mixed Reality, force feedback minimally invasive procedural simulation (fake patient but feels real vs animal labs for physician training) about a decade before people were willing to consider it and/or when the majority finally understood what the technology could do.

@ScottB I‘m not seeing it.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hi ONK. When I do this, it shows all of the local ski shops in my area (Southern New Hampshire) that carry Atomic. I’d be surprised if they all plan on carrying the professional line and have been trained to fit the professional liner. Is there a way to find out which shops have or will be trained to fit the Professional boot?
From what I was told, that was how to do it. I guess that's not the case...

If you're in NH, I would start by calling Roger's in Lincoln or Ken Jones in Manchester and go from there.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
This…time for folks to start thinking in a disruptive/lateral manner. I’m not sure the level of sophistication in your ERP system, here’s an idea, as a former tech/web guy not a huge project by any means…
- First get all the products/parts up on the website
- Customer goes to the Atomic website
- Checks a box for item/s they’re interested in
- Queries order/PO database and presents a targeted list by proximity, not just a list of retailers in the area. That way they’ve got likely/hot targets.
- My guess you could pull from the web/IT budget to make it happen
- Your retailers will like it because you’re keeping it in the family
From what I have been told, our SAP-based system can't tell you which shop has a specific product - it's actually not as easy as it sounds or ought to be (especially when a store has multiple locations but a single ship-to).

But, I have forwarded a lot of these conversations to our team here in Austria and they are looking at ways to get out of the 1980s... With any luck, we'll find a solution.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
From what I have been told, our SAP-based system can't tell you which shop has a specific product - it's actually not as easy as it sounds or ought to be (especially when a store has multiple locations but a single ship-to).

But, I have forwarded a lot of these conversations to our team here in Austria and they are looking at ways to get out of the 1980s... With any luck, we'll find a solution.

My guess there’s a simple API that could be written to port it, assuming there isn’t a 3rd party one out there already.

Btw I did get a survey from Salomon recently asking if I was interested in buying parts directly off the Salomon website. Not sure if you heard about that. Could use in a justification/use case/business case.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB I‘m not seeing it.

Here it is:

Its been a while for me, but here is the scoop on how to deal with the Atomic parts ordering system. First off, they are a EU company, so go to the EU atomic websites, I choose Great Britain so its in English. There is a drop down for which country somewhere on the US page. This will show you all the latest stuff, along with the EU models of things if you are interested. Second thing to know is there is a US Atomic warehouse and a European warehouse, they are separate systems, but US will talk on the phone to EU if you ask. Get the Atomic part number of what you want (US and EU use same PN's, US does not list all PN's on their site, just what they want to stock). You can call US warehouse if you need info or inventory status, but they will not take any orders, only from a Atomic shop. You go to any Atomic shop, as far as I know, and ask them to do a special order through Atomic warehouse. The US warehouse will order EU listed items if you have the PN, but they only get a shipment at the beginning of the season. Essentially now, early fall. Any other time, the EU part order will sit until next years shipment. Its possible there could be more than one shipment from EU factory to US during the year, I never got that detailed. (that statement makes me laugh at myself for how detailed I did get) Basically I tried to order a Mimic liner that the US warehouse did not have in my size, and they could not get it from the EU warehouse, even though EU had a good number in stock. US warehouse said I would have to wait till next years fall shipment to fill the order. Having been "experienced", at the end of last ski season, I went to my local shop and placed a order for the new dual elastic strap (EU part) and another spare part. My local shop said they will be in soon with this Fall's shipments.

@onenerdykid, I suggest you check into if US warehouse will stock the new dual elastic strap, right not it is not listed on the US website, only EU websites.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Quick update. 2 Dual Straps left at Racers Edge in Breck. Size medium.

Purchased and being mailed. I’d probably spend more on gas picking up in person nowadays than shipping.

So another launch observation…
- Racers edge has literature that says new straps are sized S/M/L.
- Atomic website link @ScottB posted states there’s just one size. (Thx I was intentionally referencing the US site).

@onenerdykid is there just one size or S/M/L? If multiple sizes will a M fit a 27/27.5 boot/15.5” calf?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

There are SAP solutions/modules for this, but Atomic is probably not using them in their System

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, If you look at all the offerings on the UK website, there are two sizes of the straps, size S/M and size M/L. Then there is a Redster strap in two sizes and a Hawx strap in the same two sizes. The Haw strap has a quick release buckle, the Redster does not. Otherwise the same. Kinda confusing and I already wined to ONK about having to make more decisions than necessary. :ogbiggrin:

Boot sizes go from 21ish to 30 ish, so I would say S/M is for 21-25 and M/L is for 26-30. And if really getting anal, its about your calf size and not entirely your boot length. If you have a short foot but a really wide calf, you could go with the M/L, or visa versa. @tazdevl you are clearly a M/L strap. BTW, I have a Redster boot but I chose the Hawx strap. I may have gone out on a limb on this one. :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online