• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@onenerdykid Any chance of more pro centers opening in western us this year? Racers Edge is a great shop(bought several boots when I lived there), but it’s over 1100 miles away from NW Montana(current home). Our local dealer doesnt carry any Redsters, and Im skeptical of them ordering a boot like that without slipping my foot into them.

Or how about a on the road pro center with your reps doing some shop touring with boots during the summer months? That way i could buy from my local shop without them having to commit to carrying a full range of redsters, etc.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid Any chance of more pro centers opening in western us this year? Racers Edge is a great shop(bought several boots when I lived there), but it’s over 1100 miles away from NW Montana(current home). Our local dealer doesnt carry any Redsters, and Im skeptical of them ordering a boot like that without slipping my foot into them.

Or how about a on the road pro center with your reps doing some shop touring with boots during the summer months? That way i could buy from my local shop without them having to commit to carrying a full range of redsters, etc.
Not that I know of, but I'm also not involved in those decisions. If new shops come on board (or elevate themselves to an APC level) it happens after the ski season and changes take place for the incoming fall season.

Just out of curiosity, what Redster are you looking at? If it is something from the TI/STI realm, then you want to at least make sure you are working with an elite-level racing shop. No boot at that level should feel good/correct out of the box and you'll need a fair bit of boot work from any brands similar offerings. If you are looking at a CS boot, then make sure your foot works in a Hawx Ultra. If an Ultra is fine, then you won't have much work to get a CS going for you. As a general rule - when it comes to Redster-level boots (from us or other brands), it's more about making sure your boot-fitter as the right skills & tools rather than how well the boot fits out of the box. These boots use fantastic plastic and lots of it, and you would be surprised how much work can be done to them to get them working for someone. Even if your local shop doesn't carry the Redster line, the boot-fitter should be able to assess your foot well enough (and in comparison to other offerings he/she does stock) to be able to make a well-educated guess as to the probability of a boot like that working for you.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Just out of curiosity, what Redster are you looking at? If it is something from the TI/STI realm, then you want to at least make sure you are working with an elite-level racing shop.

i would like to try the (ti or sti) 93’ish last(26.5) 130/140 boot. Ive got real skinny heels/ankles and Im always swimming in that area right out of the box, then one week later after the liner compresses im really flopping around. My concern about the club sports is id be fighting that heel slop. Ive had so much L foam, mustache pars and heel lifts done in my life! Im thinking the 93 would have a tighter heel/ankle poscket but myconcern with the 93 last is these would be my everyday boots and my current 96 boots(raptors) have punches on both feet for 5th metatarsal areas, can the 93 accommodate that much work to get the same room in that area as a 96 boot…

Our local shop fitters are good and work hard to get your boots fitting nicely but definitely not at the same level Ive experienced with a high end race shop(i don't race).

another question, will more of the redsters be shipping with the professional liner next season?

Side note, ive got some hawx xtd for my touring boots. Ive got two layers of volume reducers and mustache pads in those. I went one size up to give my toes abit more room, may have been a mistake but Im really enjoying those boots. SO MUCH stiffer than my ranger 130’s(both fore-aft and side-side).

thanks
Chris

Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
i would like to try the (ti or sti) 93’ish last(26.5) 130/140 boot. Ive got real skinny heels/ankles and Im always swimming in that area right out of the box, then one week later after the liner compresses im really flopping around. My concern about the club sports is id be fighting that heel slop. Ive had so much L foam, mustache pars and heel lifts done in my life! Im thinking the 93 would have a tighter heel/ankle poscket but myconcern with the 93 last is these would be my everyday boots and my current 96 boots(raptors) have punches on both feet for 5th metatarsal areas, can the 93 accommodate that much work to get the same room in that area as a 96 boot…

Our local shop fitters are good and work hard to get your boots fitting nicely but definitely not at the same level Ive experienced with a high end race shop(i don't race).

another question, will more of the redsters be shipping with the professional liner next season?
Well, the CS has the exact same ankle & heel pocket as the 93mm World Cup boot (that no longer exists), so it's definitely snug. It will have a tighter heel pocket than your Raptor (Jonathan from Blister can confirm if asked), but not as tight as the TI. From a wall thickness standpoint, the CS is thinner than the TI but about the same as the STI (CS is thinner in some spots but thicker in others) and I would comfortably say the CS is thicker than other boots in "beer league" race boot category.

The only Redster boot shipping with a Mimic Professional liner will be the Redster CS 130 Professional. For the TI & STI boots, Mimic Professional liners are only available aftermarket. We just don't sell enough TI and STI boots to justify offering two 130s or 150s etc., one with a regular Mimic World Cup liner and one with the Mimic Professional.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
130 CS is just fire (and some magic)

I cannot understand why shops doesnt push it more. all my friends (and internet friends) who tried (and fit) it love it

@onenerdykid would be happy to ski at my mountain I think, red boots are dominating, even amongst the non atomic ski, skiers ;)
Race training every single day there now for all ages, buddy's kid is debuting in U8 tomorrow, stoke is real!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
130 CS is just fire (and some magic)

I cannot understand why shops doesnt push it more. all my friends (and internet friends) who tried (and fit) it love it

@onenerdykid would be happy to ski at my mountain I think, red boots are dominating, even amongst the non atomic ski, skiers ;)
Race training every single day there now for all ages, buddy's kid is debuting in U8 tomorrow, stoke is real!
It's nice having a boot color that no other brand uses- it's easier to notice the rising takeover of local mountains ;)

I've always said this boot is the sleeper in our range, but I think it's there's more and more skiers looking for it, telling their local dealers about it and thus stock it. But at the same time, I do get it - shops want boots that are easy sells and our Hawx range is the ticket for 90-95% of skiers out there, so that's where the focus goes. It just takes more work, effort, tools, training, etc. to make Redster-style boots fit & function correctly. And that's where the "barrier" is for a lot of dealers (even good boot-fitters).

But for 22/23, there might be more reasons for dealers to carry the Redster CS line of boots. We'll see.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
good to hear, and its kinda along the lines of what my local favorite fitter says, they use more time for the more racy stuff. I'm also guessing they make more money on the other ones, the redster CS are usually pretty darn cheap vs others, and on summer sale very very very good deals.

brought a buddy there yesterday, and they got him into some new hawx prime 120s, at least they got the color, my friend has weird wiiiiide feet, but just putting them on vs magna he could feel they were "nicer but I cant tell you why", his kids are getting older again and he can ski again

1641543066161.png

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
... If it is something from the TI/STI realm, then you want to at least make sure you are working with an elite-level racing shop. No boot at that level should feel good/correct out of the box and you'll need a fair bit of boot work from any brands similar offerings.
it's more about making sure your boot-fitter as the right skills & tools rather than how well the boot fits out of the box. These boots use fantastic plastic and lots of it, and you would be surprised how much work can be done to them to get them working for someone.
Just as an anecdotal data point on this, I couldn't even get my right foot into the TI shell before getting it worked on (even without the liner), and I'm now very happy with the fit and performance out of the boots. Most of the time I'm happy skiing around in my Hawx XTDs, but going to the Redsters is like getting out of my pickup (which goes pretty well for a pickup) and into a proper sports car.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
But for 22/23, there might be more reasons for dealers to carry the Redster CS line of boots. We'll see.
Well this sounds interesting.

I searched (briefly) for a CS 130 this fall with no luck. The Ultra fit me well and I almost went with it, but I think I’ll try to get one more season out of my current boots and hopefully find (or order if needed) a CS next fall.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier

Who is the local dealer? Great Northern Cycle & Ski? Hard to find anything "race-ish" in Whitefish.

Last edited:

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Went to Racer's Edge in Breckenridge yesterday and had my new Professional Liners molded and foamed. Fairly quick process, particularly when you already have a shell that has been fitted. The only thing I would like to see changed if possible would be for the foam to take a bit long too firm up. Would have liked a bit more foam in my right liner but by the time the foam was worked around to know that it had hardened in the tubes to the point that we couldn't get anymore in. We added a bit of padding to the spots (achilles pockets) on the outside of the liner and that did the job.

I Skied them today. Nice and snug over the whole foot, really excellent heel pockets. Vey happy with the way the liners ski. I will confess to feeling like I am cheating. There is no way a proper ski boot should feel this good and not hurt any where or cause a part of your foot to go numb..

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Went to Racer's Edge in Breckenridge yesterday and had my new Professional Liners molded and foamed. Fairly quick process, particularly when you already have a shell that has been fitted. The only thing I would like to see changed if possible would be for the foam to take a bit long too firm up. Would have liked a bit more foam in my right liner but by the time the foam was worked around to know that it had hardened in the tubes to the point that we couldn't get anymore in. We added a bit of padding to the spots (achilles pockets) on the outside of the liner and that did the job.

I Skied them today. Nice and snug over the whole foot, really excellent heel pockets. Vey happy with the way the liners ski. I will confess to feeling like I am cheating. There is no way a proper ski boot should feel this good and not hurt any where or cause a part of your foot to go numb..
Glad to hear that it was a good result for you in the end! As for the setting time, this is tricky. Mixing the two chemicals together causes the reaction to take place- I don't think there's a whole lot we can do there but I can check.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
@onenerdykid My Pro booster straps landed in my hands yesterday. Looking at the two pre-made holes and how they line up with my raptors, I wasn't quite sure how much the strap should wrap around the cuff and where the buckle should land un-tensioned. I have it installed with only one bolt now for a test fit. Look proper? If so I'll make a second whole in the under strap to line up with the Raptor's second mounting hole.

Attachments

• IMG_5596.jpeg
    IMG_5596.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 56

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@chris_the_wrench,funny, Atomic straps on the Raptors.....conversely, I skied my Hawx Ultras yesterday with my old Raptor booster straps, and liked the change.

But it might be time to check in again at the shop on my pro liner and strap status, since your straps showed up.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid My Pro booster straps landed in my hands yesterday. Looking at the two pre-made holes and how they line up with my raptors, I wasn't quite sure how much the strap should wrap around the cuff and where the buckle should land un-tensioned. I have it installed with only one bolt now for a test fit. Look proper? If so I'll make a second whole in the under strap to line up with the Raptor's second mounting hole.
You'll need to check it with your leg in the boot. Like a Booster, they tend to sit a little inside and once tightened will sit straight/centered on the tongue. Ultimately, sitting centered-ish on the tongue/cuff is the goal.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad to hear that it was a good result for you in the end! As for the setting time, this is tricky. Mixing the two chemicals together causes the reaction to take place- I don't think there's a whole lot we can do there but I can check.

Just a thought, but usually temperature effects chemical reaction rate, so keeping tubes in the fridge might slow it down. Making it colder can make it thicker too, so might not be good in real life.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have done a few straps and what works for me is putting on your boot without making holes (your boot on your foot), buckling your boot as you would for skiing and getting it exactly where you want it (centered and correct height) and then marking the boot/strap for where the hole should be. Having another person helps with the marking part.

Sponsor