• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Are the shells the same fit as prior models? In other words do these new Ultra 130 pros have the same shell fit/mold as the prior Ultra 130S? I'm currently in the white with red spine Ultra 130 S thats about 2+ years old and instead of buying the new liner etc, I wouldn't mind a new boot that's not white. If it's the same fit, I will know what to buy this next time around.

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Hello @oneonerykid, I like the idea of being able to customize a boot, It would be nice to walk into a shop and tell the fitter I want this shell, this liner, this buckle, this boot board, etc. As you mentioned I am one of those people who discards the stock liner and power strap and uses a zipfit liner and booster strap. So my question is would I expect the same skiing characteristics from the Atomic customized boot as I would with the shell, a zipfit liner and booster strap? Or would I once again replace the stock liner and strap? If that is the case, why not let me buy only the shell and modify it ? Your thoughts?

Thanks

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I suspect the answer is that while we as consumers would like fully modular systems the answer lies in SKU complexity and making life manageable for retailers. Most skiers* buy a boot and ski it till it doesn't seem so good anymore or maybe has got too old so the expectation is still to buy everything in one. Plus given sizing it's not too big an ask to stock some aftermarket liners but shells probably still need marrying to the number of liners you're going to sell.

* You know normal people not like obsessives. I'm stoked that there might finally be a boot on the market where the liner lasts as long as the shell usually counting on going through 2 or 3 per shell but most people probably have no idea and just buy a new boot when the old one gets sloppy.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Basically, the Professional Series is for people who have historically bought their favorite boot, got an aftermarket liner (like an Intuition or Zip Fit or Sidas etc.), and put on an aftermarket strap, like a Booster.
Great idea!

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fair enough. Just a cry from the Sasquatchs/Hobbits as we are so often left behind by boot ranges or given some low end "comfort" boot.

It's likely easier to sell liners, and straps than empty shells. The point is they are trying to accommodate the people that throw away all the stock pieces by providing more quality up front. Not just give you the chassis to build off of.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's likely easier to sell liners, and straps than empty shells. The point is they are trying to accommodate the people that throw away all the stock pieces by providing more quality up front. Not just give you the chassis to build off of.
The thing is, the shell is the thing that basically fits your foot (or doesn't). The people throwing away the liners and straps are doing it because it's the shell they really care about.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@onenerdykid can you tell us a bit more about what the difference is in the foam used in your mimic liner compared to "normal' foment liners ? (speaking s someone whose last foamed liner was in a koflacx comp back in the 80s where it took 5 attempts to get it close to right ogsmile). And would i be correct to assuemthat you will guarantee a correct fit if you just but the liner to fit a current atomic shell (TI 150)
thanks!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@onenerdykid can you tell us a bit more about what the difference is in the foam used in your mimic liner compared to "normal' foment liners ? (speaking s someone whose last foamed liner was in a koflacx comp back in the 80s where it took 5 attempts to get it close to right ogsmile). And would i be correct to assuemthat you will guarantee a correct fit if you just but the liner to fit a current atomic shell (TI 150)
thanks!

I'm sure ONK will chime in here, but it is discussed in the Blister podcast.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Are the shells the same fit as prior models? In other words do these new Ultra 130 pros have the same shell fit/mold as the prior Ultra 130S? I'm currently in the white with red spine Ultra 130 S thats about 2+ years old and instead of buying the new liner etc, I wouldn't mind a new boot that's not white. If it's the same fit, I will know what to buy this next time around.
The new Hawx Ultra for 21/22 uses the same last parameters as the current Hawx Ultra. If your current shell has life left in it, then you can definitely get the Hawx version of the Mimic Professional liner. Same goes for any of you who have an existing Redster or Prime as well. And people can also put Mimic Professional liners into other brands' shells, just like other aftermarket liners.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hello @oneonerykid, I like the idea of being able to customize a boot, It would be nice to walk into a shop and tell the fitter I want this shell, this liner, this buckle, this boot board, etc. As you mentioned I am one of those people who discards the stock liner and power strap and uses a zipfit liner and booster strap. So my question is would I expect the same skiing characteristics from the Atomic customized boot as I would with the shell, a zipfit liner and booster strap? Or would I once again replace the stock liner and strap? If that is the case, why not let me buy only the shell and modify it ? Your thoughts?

Thanks
This is a totally awesome idea and I wish it were possible. It's an absolute nightmare for retailers to be able to stock cuffs and shells in all of the sizes and required hardnesses, and all of the other accessories. From a business perspective, it's just too difficult to manage currently. I like how you're thinking though.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Why would you not have this in a Redster 170?
There are about 25 people who actually buy this boot, the rest are paid by Atomic to use it :) For elite level racers, they have their boots "built" for them and select the liner of their choosing. For this reason, the Redster TI & STI versions of the Mimic Professional liner are only available aftermarket. Plus, this year has been so difficult to manage on a global scale that we are carrying over the Redster TI & STI boots from 20/21 into 21/22.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
thanks!
The foam that is used in the Mimic Professional liners is a PU foam and is the result of testing many, many mixtures/blends to arrive at what we think is the ideal harmony of fit, comfort, performance, and longevity. Traditional foam liners combine two chemicals in a bottle and the reaction between those chemicals produces a very high-pressure PU foam that has plagued boot-fitters for years, to the point where most boot-fitter don't even bother with foam any more. These high-pressure foams often cause the liner to rupture, creating an ungodly mess, and/or yield inconsistent fit results where the medial side doesn't fill as well as the lateral, or vice-versa. In our own race department, it takes our race technicians about 3 sets of liners to get 1 good set. So, we really wanted to address this and make a system that provided the fit comfort, performance we were looking for (even at the World Cup level), and make this an easier & cleaner process for the boot-fitter.

The foam used in Mimic Professional is a low-pressure PU foam that is pumped into the liner with a special gun. The foam is mixed in the entrance tubes and fills a bladder inside the liner. Because the foam is low-pressure, it does not rupture the liner nor create a mess and because it is contained in a special bladder, there are no exit tubes nor foam runoff to manage.

"Guarantee" is word that is hard to promise since there are a lot of variables outside of our control, but we are confident that given the level of boot-fitters we are targeting with the Professional Series and the ease of use of the system that you won't run into any issues. That said, we will of course support and work with any Atomic boot-fitters who run into a problem.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
The new Hawx Ultra for 21/22 uses the same last parameters as the current Hawx Ultra. If your current shell has life left in it, then you can definitely get the Hawx version of the Mimic Professional liner. Same goes for any of you who have an existing Redster or Prime as well. And people can also put Mimic Professional liners into other brands' shells, just like other aftermarket liners.

Thanks! I'm more asking to see if I can buy the new boot and expect the exact same fit from the shell as my current 130S. I'm sure the liner is a huge innovation/improvement.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Is there a list of the bootfitters that will be offering these products or will one be available in the future?
Not yet, it's too soon to tell. But if you're interested, it would be a good idea to tell your favorite boot-fitter that you are looking forward to the Professional Series. That never hurts ;)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid