• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

James

Out There
Instructor
^ That. I’ve taken my footbeds out before and discovered long forgotten Bontex shims in there. Sometimes 2.

One thing the originals are very good for is trimming footbeds to fit in the liner. Since they’re just flat you can easily trace the shape.
So it sets on top of the Zeppa?
Or... on top of the zeppa.
These were just rubber cemented on so they could come off.
But it’s much easier in the liner. I wanted to raise the boot board up a little after I made it flat because Head is moronic and won’t do it themselves.

DDEF71C3-AB36-4B80-A474-7D99D51A3D93.jpeg

Those are the same, just two lefts so one is flipped over. That brand seems a little nicer than Bontex.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Very nice indeed. Atomic guys obviously realized the weak point in the Booster straps is their endless elasticity which for me makes the flex of the boot feel unnatural so they limited it with a static part of the strap. Very good.

Removable and replaceable tongues is another super strong point as this part of the liner is the first to go packed out.

And then the good ole and still unbeatable foam injection...this looks about...yes, perfect!

Imho, a booster strap works best under the shell, against the liner. Maybe a stiffer booster strap would work better for you?

I am really humbled, touched, grateful and in tears of joy that Atomic created boots specially for me. You cant even imagine how much that means to me... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Slider

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone ! First post here ;)

Hawx Ultra Professional; ohhh yeah !!!
But my 26.5 by 101mm foot are reminding me I fit perfectly out of the box in the bigger brother.

So what about the Prime 130 Professional ?

Is it a « standard » Prime 130 with the pro liner and strap ? Is it a « preseries » of a potential new prime ? Any picture maybe ?

Cheers :)

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hi everyone ! First post here ;)

Hawx Ultra Professional; ohhh yeah !!!
But my 26.5 by 101mm foot are reminding me I fit perfectly out of the box in the bigger brother.

So what about the Prime 130 Professional ?

Is it a « standard » Prime 130 with the pro liner and strap ? Is it a « preseries » of a potential new prime ? Any picture maybe ?

Cheers :)

Hawx Prime 130 Professional uses the same general aesthetic as the Hawx Ultra version pictured in the original post: black injection material, with anthracite & red accents.

AE5024820_0_HAWX_PRIME_130_PROFESSIONAL.jpg

It uses the existing Hawx Prime mold series + Mimic Professional liner + Professional Dual Strap

erdz

Booting up
Skier
? for ONK. Will boots be shipped with both Alpine and Grip Walk soles? If so, down to which model?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
? for ONK. Will boots be shipped with both Alpine and Grip Walk soles? If so, down to which model?
All Hawx Professional & "S" models will come equipped with GripWalk soles in 21/22. There will not be ISO 5355 pads in the box, but they are available if needed.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
woot, we need ISO pads :eek: still got tone of older race skis and non GW stuff.

but I am switching more and more over of course.

I'm in the same spot, and thought the S Hawx came with ISO 5355 pads. Shoot.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
woot, we need ISO pads :eek: still got tone of older race skis and non GW stuff. but I am switching more and more over of course.

I'm in the same spot, and thought the S Hawx came with ISO 5355 pads. Shoot.

From 21/22 onwards (and this looks true for the boot market in general), boot models that have replaceable soles will use GripWalk on the mid to higher end part of the spectrum and below that they'll use ISO 5355.

The good news is that when you see a dedicated alpine boot with GripWalk, at least 95% of the boots are backwards compatible with ISO 5355. The only exceptions to that are when you mix tech inserts into the mix. Then it gets a little fuzzy and you need to ask questions before you pull the trigger.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From 21/22 onwards (and this looks true for the boot market in general), boot models that have replaceable soles will use GripWalk on the mid to higher end part of the spectrum and below that they'll use ISO 5355.

The good news is that when you see a dedicated alpine boot with GripWalk, at least 95% of the boots are backwards compatible with ISO 5355. The only exceptions to that are when you mix tech inserts into the mix. Then it gets a little fuzzy and you need to ask questions before you pull the trigger.

Will the typical Atomic dealer have the ISO sole pads? Can't imagine they are particularly expensive or difficult to install.

Thanks for the feedback.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will the typical Atomic dealer have the ISO sole pads? Can't imagine they are particularly expensive or difficult to install.

Thanks for the feedback.
This is where I will get back on my soapbox...forget the effin ascetics of a contoured sole design and make all of the replaceable soles straight and the same across the board. It will save in molds and SKU's. Much easier and simpler for the manufacturer, the shop and the consumer. This isn't just Atomic but every brand.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
This is where I will get back on my soapbox...forget the effin ascetics of a contoured sole design and make all of the replaceable soles straight and the same across the board. It will save in molds and SKU's. Much easier and simpler for the manufacturer, the shop and the consumer. This isn't just Atomic but every brand.
@Philpug - The straight sole design isn't easier or simpler to make- it would be another super expensive hot-runner mold. But it would take about 20 years for before molds and SKUs get reduced by this plan. You have to consider all of the different grip pads of older boots that need to stick around for spare parts (we are still selling thousands of grip pads for ancient B-Tech boots every year). Switching to a straight sole design now would cause the number of molds (and therefore mold costs) to skyrocket because 1) we still have to have the old molds to keep making spare parts for all older boots, 2) we have to have the current "contoured" molds to produce spare parts for current boots, and 3) we would then have these new straight molds for single density ISO 5355, dual density ISO 5355, GripWalk and whatever tech insert compatible versions that need to exist. And if we go to a straight grip pad, then we also need to make all new canting shims: one for the contoured grip pad and a completely different set for the straight grip pad (assuming we don't want to walk away from that side of the business). I totally get where you are generally coming from Phil, but if Atomic did this, it would create an absolute nightmare for retailers and consumers.

But, like I said, I do agree with the core of your argument. In about 2010, we recognized the insanity of doing a different grip pad interface every time a new boot came out. Since then, we set a plan in motion to eventually only have one grip pad interface for our replaceable soled alpine boots and another version that utilize tech inserts (you need separate tech insert versions because of the heel insert). This saw the light of day with the first Hawx Ultra and any non-tech insert boot after it would share the same grip pad interface. So, we're working towards simplicity but it will take a little longer before all of our non-tech insert alpine boots use the same replaceable sole system.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

Thanks for the feedback.
They should. We make our spare part grip pads easier to manage than most other brands.

AircooledType1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
[QUOTE="onenerdykid, post: 570695, member: 663

Availability is slated for late summer/early fall ’21
[/QUOTE]
Any chance the power strap will be available earlier? Really need a new one, but don't want to get a booster to hold me over if there's a way to get the strap earlier. Thanks!

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
ONK — Just want to say I appreciate you being so accessible on this forum and Blister. I’ve got a “strange” foot so have spent an unreasonable amount of time thinking about, researching, and working on ski boots. Historically Nordica and Lange worked for me but local boot fitter got me into Atomic Hawk Prime 130s last season. Amazing boot with zero issues thanks to your work and that of local fitter. I’m also using XTD for touring and really like direction you are going with Professional series. I’m not ready/needing to change the current Atomic boot quiver given great fit and performance but the modular options and new stuff in the Atomic pipeline is great. Keep up the good work!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
[QUOTE="onenerdykid, post: 570695, member: 663

Availability is slated for late summer/early fall ’21
Any chance the power strap will be available earlier? Really need a new one, but don't want to get a booster to hold me over if there's a way to get the strap earlier. Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Given how COVID has ruined everything, it's a miracle we could even launch this project for the 21/22 season. The only product that exists now is for media outlets, retailers, and athletes. You'd have to convince someone from that group of people to sell you theirs ogwink

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
ONK — Just want to say I appreciate you being so accessible on this forum and Blister. I’ve got a “strange” foot so have spent an unreasonable amount of time thinking about, researching, and working on ski boots. Historically Nordica and Lange worked for me but local boot fitter got me into Atomic Hawk Prime 130s last season. Amazing boot with zero issues thanks to your work and that of local fitter. I’m also using XTD for touring and really like direction you are going with Professional series. I’m not ready/needing to change the current Atomic boot quiver given great fit and performance but the modular options and new stuff in the Atomic pipeline is great. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support! Make some turns at Smuggler's Notch for me if you are ever over there!

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the support! Make some turns at Smuggler's Notch for me if you are ever over there!
Not an easy one to get to from where we live but one of my favs! Hard to “scare yourself” at any New England resort but Smuggs has some legit terrain.

Sponsor

Staff online