• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ONK — Just want to say I appreciate you being so accessible on this forum and Blister. I’ve got a “strange” foot so have spent an unreasonable amount of time thinking about, researching, and working on ski boots. Historically Nordica and Lange worked for me but local boot fitter got me into Atomic Hawk Prime 130s last season. Amazing boot with zero issues thanks to your work and that of local fitter. I’m also using XTD for touring and really like direction you are going with Professional series. I’m not ready/needing to change the current Atomic boot quiver given great fit and performance but the modular options and new stuff in the Atomic pipeline is great. Keep up the good work!
I'd like to second this comment. I have never skied in an Atomic boot, and ONK's commitment to providing us with information has been fantastic!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ONK,

You posted something very important that I want to clarify and highlight.

Are you saying that the latest version of the Atomic Grip Walk sole IS compatible with Alpine ISO 5355 bindgs, ie. standard Alpine bindings?? So you don't have to buy new Grip Walk bindings for those boots??

"The good news is that when you see a dedicated alpine boot with GripWalk, at least 95% of the boots are backwards compatible with ISO 5355. The only exceptions to that are when you mix tech inserts into the mix. "

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
ONK,

You posted something very important that I want to clarify and highlight.

Are you saying that the latest version of the Atomic Grip Walk sole IS compatible with Alpine ISO 5355 bindgs, ie. standard Alpine bindings?? So you don't have to buy new Grip Walk bindings for those boots??

"The good news is that when you see a dedicated alpine boot with GripWalk, at least 95% of the boots are backwards compatible with ISO 5355. The only exceptions to that are when you mix tech inserts into the mix. "

When it comes to a boot, GripWalk is GripWalk and ISO 5355 is ISO 5355. Having one does not mean you have the other.

What I was referring to was a Hawx Ultra boot (for example) can come equipped with GripWalk but the GripWalk pads can be removed and ISO 5355 pads installed. Just because the boot comes with GripWalk does not necessarily mean that the boot must always be GripWalk.

Non-tech insert alpine boots can easily change from GripWalk to ISO 5355 (and vice-versa) for almost every model from every boot brand.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's called a Volume Reducer. Packaged with new boots

MIne are called Size Adjusters, not that it matters.

IMG_3763.JPG

raichu

Booting up
Skier
I'm really not sure how the UK pricing will go, I think the UK team is still trying to figure it out given what is happening over there.

Here are the MSRPs in the US:
Hawx Ultra 130 Professional- $1,050
Hawx Ultra 115 Professional W - $900
Hawx Prime 130 Professional - $1,050
Redster CS 130 Professional - $1,050
Mimic Professional liners - $300
Professional Dual Straps - $80

I'd love to put the dual straps on my touring boots but it's difficult to tell details from the images in your opening post (and they seem to show slightly different versions of the strap). Will the dual strap have a transition-friendly buckle (i.e. with a pull-cord and/or a quick-release hook design)?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Can the Mimic liners be used in a different brand of boots? How are they different/better than other foam injected liners? I've read what I could here but am still :huh: I need to take up volume, even in a 92 last boot.

Intuition liners create a great fit for me in a Rossi Hero 92 last boot, until they pack after about 20 days. I've spent the better part of this season cranking the buckles tighter and tighter. Boot Doc have those thick soles on the bottoms that I don't care for, plus the process can be botched pretty easily.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Can the Mimic liners be used in a different brand of boots? How are they different/better than other foam injected liners? I've read what I could here but am still :huh: I need to take up volume, even in a 92 last boot.

Intuition liners create a great fit for me in a Rossi Hero 92 last boot, until they pack after about 20 days. I've spent the better part of this season cranking the buckles tighter and tighter. Boot Doc have those thick soles on the bottoms that I don't care for, plus the process can be botched pretty easily.

Yes, Mimic can be bought after-market and used in other boots. The big difference in this foam injection is that it is a low-pressure system that does not require the typical outflow tubes (fed out of the boot toe overlap). This should result in a more consistent and trouble-free foaming process.

BTW - Where do you typically need to take up volume in the 92 last boot?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, Mimic can be bought after-market and used in other boots. The big difference in this foam injection is that it is a low-pressure system that does not require the typical outflow tubes (fed out of the boot toe overlap). This should result in a more consistent and trouble-free foaming process.

BTW - Where do you typically need to take up volume in the 92 last boot?
Everywhere. The heel has stayed fine with the Intuition Race FX.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Intuition liners create a great fit for me in a Rossi Hero 92 last boot, until they pack after about 20 days

FINALLY someone else with my experience regarding longevity of the liner. Im constantly told the Intuition liners are great for 75'ish days, but for me I find them very snug for 3 days, feeling great for about 15-20 and then rapidly deteriorating after.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
FINALLY someone else with my experience regarding longevity of the liner. Im constantly told the Intuition liners are great for 75'ish days, but for me I find them very snug for 3 days, feeling great for about 15-20 and then rapidly deteriorating after.

Pack out times on that scale speak to the loose shell fit more than the Intuition.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Everywhere. The heel has stayed fine with the Intuition Race FX.

This is why I wish ZiFit would come out with a model that could actually address this fitting challenge. A model that provides volume adjustment along the sides of the mid-foot. They would have to charge more for it probably, but unless your shell fit is fairly tight around the mid-foot, a Zip won't get the job done without adding additional padding.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Interesting. I have not had this experience.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Interesting. I have not had this experience.

A liner can only do so much and will always perform better if the shell is well matched to the shape of the foot. We shouldn't expect liners to perform miracles, but there are some that are better than others. We should also expect that any liner parts made of foam will break down over time.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pack out times on that scale speak to the loose shell fit more than the Intuition.

I cannot go any smaller. I am in a 92 last boot in a 22.5, which is what, 85mm last? I measure a 23.5. I suppose I could cram into a 21.5, but that opens a whole new host of issues with bindings.

Possibly, but I don't think its humanly possible to ski a tighter shell fit than I do day in and day out. YMMV.
Same. I'm not sure if I need to go with the Dreamliner in a medium volume except I can barely get my foot into inside the boot. I have the added bonus of having hypermobile feet and ankles.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I'd love to put the dual straps on my touring boots but it's difficult to tell details from the images in your opening post (and they seem to show slightly different versions of the strap). Will the dual strap have a transition-friendly buckle (i.e. with a pull-cord and/or a quick-release hook design)?
The Hawx version has a Quick Release/Transition-friendly buckle with a pull-cord.
The Redster version uses a traditional push-action release on its buckle.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

Hi Amy, Yes- Mimic Professional liners can be used in other brands' boots. We make a Mimic Professional liner for our Redster TI/STI boots that would work in your Rossi Hero boot. There are also thicker tongues available aftermarket should you need to reduce the volume even further.

Just out of curiosity, even though you are in a very low volume boot, what is the shell fit like? If you were to remove the liner from the boot, step into the bare shell with your thin ski sock on, and slide your foot to the front so your toes just barely touch, how much space is behind your heel? Knowing this can help gauge a few things.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Amy, Yes- Mimic Professional liners can be used in other brands' boots. We make a Mimic Professional liner for our Redster TI/STI boots that would work in your Rossi Hero boot. There are also thicker tongues available aftermarket should you need to reduce the volume even further.

Just out of curiosity, even though you are in a very low volume boot, what is the shell fit like? If you were to remove the liner from the boot, step into the bare shell with your thin ski sock on, and slide your foot to the front so your toes just barely touch, how much space is behind your heel? Knowing this can help gauge a few things.
Thanks! I have about 3-5mm behind my heel, if that. They are tight length-wise. I love the performance of the boots overall. And when I first got into them with the Intuitions (the stock race liners were unskiable--way too much room in the boot) I was in heaven. I had no idea how much control I had been missing over the years. I want that feeling back! When I had Boot Docs in a previous shell, I did end up getting an injectable tongue, too.

I'm very interested in getting my hands on a pair of Mimics. My husband works at the shop in Eden, UT. The bootfitter there (and part owner) has tons of experience with aftermarket liners, including Boot Doc. He unfortunately does not carry Atomic. Can I order them on my own, or can the shop order them for me?? Are they available now? I've been preparing to pull the trigger on another pair of Intuitions, but am hesitant because I'm just going to run into the same issue. I'd really prefer to not order new liners every season!

D5426DD2-19C4-4A80-81E2-A4CE2ACB4E36.jpeg
D5426DD2-19C4-4A80-81E2-A4CE2ACB4E36.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online