• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very nice indeed. Atomic guys obviously realized the weak point in the Booster straps is their endless elasticity which for me makes the flex of the boot feel unnatural so they limited it with a static part of the strap. Very good.

Removable and replaceable tongues is another super strong point as this part of the liner is the first to go packed out.

And then the good ole and still unbeatable foam injection...this looks about...yes, perfect!

Basically, the Professional Series is for people who have historically bought their favorite boot, got an aftermarket liner (like an Intuition or Zip Fit or Sidas etc.), and put on an aftermarket strap, like a Booster.

I am really humbled, touched, grateful and in tears of joy that Atomic created boots specially for me. You cant even imagine how much that means to me... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@onenerdykid thank you for your time in responding to all of these questions and comments. I’m very interested. 2 questions, today... One, is the foam injection one and done? Possible to add more? Does it ‘pack out’? Two, My local atomic dealer doesnt have the redsters, this year. How would you suggest we proceed?

Thanks again
Chris

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid thank you for your time in responding to all of these questions and comments. I’m very interested. 2 questions, today... One, is the foam injection one and done? Possible to add more? Does it ‘pack out’? Two, My local atomic dealer doesnt have the redsters, this year. How would you suggest we proceed?

Thanks again
Chris
Happy to help. Foam injection is one and done, not possible to add more or remove it. But, in our opinion, that's ok because it's your fit and it just works.

Your local Atomic dealer can always special order a boot for you. You both just need to work out the specifics.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The more I look at these the more I like them.

A question: does that scaling up of the Hawx Ultra also apply for the Redster? I mean, Hawx Ultra is stated as 98 mm last, but this only applies for 26,5 size. 27.5 is 100 mm.
Is it the same for the Redster?

For instance TI is 95mm in 26.5, but 97mm in 27.5 and ClubSport is 96 and 98 respectively?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
The more I look at these the more I like them.

A question: does that scaling up of the Hawx Ultra also apply for the Redster? I mean, Hawx Ultra is stated as 98 mm last, but this only applies for 26,5 size. 27.5 is 100 mm.
Is it the same for the Redster?

For instance TI is 95mm in 26.5, but 97mm in 27.5 and ClubSport is 96 and 98 respectively?
Correct - the 2mm scaling up & down from size 26 applies to all of our boots, and the rest of the industry does the same. It's how footwear in general is made.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct - the 2mm scaling up & down from size 26 applies to all of our boots, and the rest of the industry does the same. It's how footwear in general is made.

For the record, IMO, going to 104 on the Hawx in 29/29.5 is a wee bit too much of a good thing.

But I pick nits. So stoked on this boot.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
This technology is really great. I currently have the Hawx Prime 130S. Bought the boot last year. I love it.

1. I am curious as to what you see as the typical Mimic liner life in days? is it 50, 75, 100 etc. I have maybe 50/60 days on mine and am now having to really crank down on the buckles for a solid fit as the liner is seeming to pack out. Is this typical given the days on the boot?

2. You have already noted that I can replace my current liner with the new Pro liner. My current shell has been molded and punched in a few spots. I assume the new liner when filled with the foam will nicely fill into the shell molding?

3. In a similar vane I am curious about the shell/liner molding interaction. Kind of chicken or egg question. Does the liner get filled then you mold shell? Or in theory does this liner remove the necessity of molding the shell in most cases?

Thanks!

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
onenerdykid

I am a bit curious, I admit I do not know a lot about foam injection but one reason I changed to the zipfit liner is my feet change over the course of the ski season. With the cork suspended in a gel, it adjusts to the changes, so my question is, as my feet change what happens with a foam injected liner? Will it create pressure points? I assume it's a closed cell foam so it doesn't compress.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Will there be different densities of foam available? Stiffer/more rigid for advanced skiers and a softer more compliant for a recreational one?
If this were just another foam liner, we would need to do that. But this liner is honestly very different because it is built with our plastic Mimic material near the outer surface of the liner and the PU foam next to foot. This provides with you solid engagement next to shell but comfortable support directly next to the foot. Because of this, we don't have a need for a super hard foam for athletes and softer foams for us mortals. The same foam that Travis Ganong uses (picture in the original post) is the same for us and vice-versa. You get rock solid performance and a boot that is comfortable to spend all day in.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
This technology is really great. I currently have the Hawx Prime 130S. Bought the boot last year. I love it.

1. I am curious as to what you see as the typical Mimic liner life in days? is it 50, 75, 100 etc. I have maybe 50/60 days on mine and am now having to really crank down on the buckles for a solid fit as the liner is seeming to pack out. Is this typical given the days on the boot?

2. You have already noted that I can replace my current liner with the new Pro liner. My current shell has been molded and punched in a few spots. I assume the new liner when filled with the foam will nicely fill into the shell molding?

3. In a similar vane I am curious about the shell/liner molding interaction. Kind of chicken or egg question. Does the liner get filled then you mold shell? Or in theory does this liner remove the necessity of molding the shell in most cases?

Thanks!

1. Normal liners (from just about every boot brand) last anywhere from 100-150 days of skiing depending on how well/poorly the boot fits you to begin with and how well they taken care of. It's one of those things that you can't truly put a number on, kind of like insulation ratings for winter boots.

2. That's exactly what will happen.

3. With Mimic Professional and other customer liners, you want to get your shell work done first and then fit the liner. Small adjustments can be made afterwards, but you want to get the bulk of the work done before you Mimic and foam it.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
onenerdykid

I am a bit curious, I admit I do not know a lot about foam injection but one reason I changed to the zipfit liner is my feet change over the course of the ski season. With the cork suspended in a gel, it adjusts to the changes, so my question is, as my feet change what happens with a foam injected liner? Will it create pressure points? I assume it's a closed cell foam so it doesn't compress.

With traditional foam liners, especially those where the foam was more like cement, the liners were challenging to fit correctly and be comfortable to say the least. With our system, you would need a drastic change to happen to your foot (like a serious injury) for these liners not to fit you over the course of a season. The need to continually adjust the fit of our liner has honestly not been a topic that has come up so far.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If this were just another foam liner, we would need to do that. But this liner is honestly very different because it is built with our plastic Mimic material near the outer surface of the liner and the PU foam next to foot. This provides with you solid engagement next to shell but comfortable support directly next to the foot. Because of this, we don't have a need for a super hard foam for athletes and softer foams for us mortals. The same foam that Travis Ganong uses (picture in the original post) is the same for us and vice-versa. You get rock solid performance and a boot that is comfortable to spend all day in.
If I read this correctly, unlike back in the day when the high performance boot consisted of injecting 2 or 3 times as much foam with high seem-busting pressure to make the instant-force-transmission rock hard liner, these boots all have a kinder gentler material somewhere inside them. Am I reading that correctly?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

1. I am curious as to what you see as the typical Mimic liner life in days? is it 50, 75, 100 etc. I have maybe 50/60 days on mine and am now having to really crank down on the buckles for a solid fit as the liner is seeming to pack out.

Curious whether you tried sliding the "sizing insole" in, under your footbed and the liner?

This works great for me for a tighter alpine fit, and I pull it out for skinning (because I do so little I don't want blisters).

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
If I read this correctly, unlike back in the day when the high performance boot consisted of injecting 2 or 3 times as much foam with high seem-busting pressure to make the instant-force-transmission rock hard liner, these boots all have a kinder gentler material somewhere inside them. Am I reading that correctly?
Correct, we use a softer foam than the traditional stuff that used to rupture liners. We spent a lot of time on finding the right mixture in order to arrive at something comfortable that was still supportive and durable (long-lasting).

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks so much for your reply ^^

The shop I use here in Breck for boots, Racers Edge, is a Atomic Pro Center. I stopped in yesterday and the guys (not the owner) didn't know whether or not they will be carrying the Pro series. I assume as a Pro Center they will be?

Also I have customer foot beds. Would I put the stock beds under the custom?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also I have customer foot beds. Would I put the stock beds under the custom?

The "sizing insole" I referenced is the flat, ~2 mm thick, kind of felt-like thing, that comes with the boots. Think of it as a high-quality version of a Bontex shim.

It would go in the liner, under your custom insole.

Sponsor

Staff online