• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can the Mimic liners be used in a different brand of boots?

ONK addressed this with a yes. Just keep in mind, for the Hawx at least, the liners are taller than most other brands, which has ruined me in a good way from skiing shorter boots/liners.

FINALLY someone else with my experience regarding longevity of the liner. Im constantly told the Intuition liners are great for 75'ish days, but for me I find them very snug for 3 days, feeling great for about 15-20 and then rapidly deteriorating after.

All my Intuition experience sort of agrees with this, but I've only been fit by one guy, who used to fit boots on US Ski Team racers, so:

1. Initial fitting in a sock almost as thin as a nylon -- yes it's a fairly "warm" process.

2. Ski in a super thin sock for 3-5 days.

3. Switch to a medium sock for the next 100 days.

4. Stick a thin Bontex shim under the footbed after that.

I'm just loving my new Hawx boots, but admit to missing the firm, precise fit of Intuition liners. I've grown to love that firm, perfectly molded foam. Buckle the boots in the morning at the car, and never touch them again.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I'm very interested in getting my hands on a pair of Mimics. My husband works at the shop in Eden, UT. The bootfitter there (and part owner) has tons of experience with aftermarket liners, including Boot Doc. He unfortunately does not carry Atomic. Can I order them on my own, or can the shop order them for me?? Are they available now?

They will be available in late summer/early Fall '21 and only through Atomic retailers. Unfortunately, just getting your hands on some liners won't get you very far- there are few necessary tools that are needed in order to fit the liners, which again only Atomic retailers have access to. It's probably best that your husband's shop kicks out a brand and brings in Atomic ;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They will be available in late summer/early Fall '21 and only through Atomic retailers. Unfortunately, just getting your hands on some liners won't get you very far- there are few necessary tools that are needed in order to fit the liners, which again only Atomic retailers have access to. It's probably best that your husband's shop kicks out a brand and brings in Atomic ;)
Yes, well, I can drop that hint :ogbiggrin:
I’m in Ogden. Are you ever here at the N American HQ?

raichu

Booting up
Skier
The Hawx version has a Quick Release/Transition-friendly buckle with a pull-cord.
The Redster version uses a traditional push-action release on its buckle.

Great to hear there are multiple versions! Will the strap land in stores any sooner than those liners? Also, do you know the spacing between the bolt holes in the strap?

You remain the only source of information and images of these products that I can find online. Has Atomic just ditched conventional marketing at this point?

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
You remain the only source of information and images of these products that I can find online. Has Atomic just ditched conventional marketing at this point?

I bet it has something to do with "Sell the old stuff before you sell something new"

Retailers and manufacturers want to get rid of all they can before hyping the new stuff, holding inventory takes up space and money.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Great to hear there are multiple versions! Will the strap land in stores any sooner than those liners? Also, do you know the spacing between the bolt holes in the strap?

Brands discuss 21/22 products at this time mainly to inform retailers about what they should order for next year. This is basically how the entire ski industry operates. Very rarely are things ready to purchase now, especially since Covid has wreaked absolute havoc on global supply chains. 99% of the 21/22 products arrive around the same time frame: late summer/early Fall '21 and the consumer-based website goes live around the same time. All brands' websites are still organized for the 20/21 season.

I'm here to answer questions for retailers and end users, and hopefully help the hype train move in the right direction ;)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does the new 2022 boot have the power/stiffness of the slightly older boots? eventhough it seems to be massivly lighter? like 3-400grams?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Does the new 2022 boot have the power/stiffness of the slightly older boots? eventhough it seems to be massivly lighter? like 3-400grams?

The new Hawx Ultra is definitely a powerful, stable boot that blows the first generation out of the water. But if you're asking me if it performs like a Redster, the answer is not quite. But, then again, all-mountain skis don't perform like World Cup race skis either.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The new Hawx Ultra is definitely a powerful, stable boot that blows the first generation out of the water. But if you're asking me if it performs like a Redster, the answer is not quite. But, then again, all-mountain skis don't perform like World Cup race skis either.
Im 242lbs "bare" and 6'3, skied for 30 years and spent many years running GS 95% of the time. Dont need worldcup plug boots, but definetly need something more than the 2021 hawk prime XTD 130s ;) that 100mm last is pretty important to me though. I was/is happy with my current hawk prime 130s, so guessing I will be lookin forward to it :)

I didnt switch to this boot as most used boot until 2019/2020 season (boot is older), but the liner is packing out, and the boots are getting pretty worn so need something new, probably have 100 days on them though. What is the expected lifetime of a boot and liner?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
What is the expected lifetime of a boot and liner?

Is there an answer to this question? Mileage varies from user to user?

Also @onenerdykid comparing the Hawk Ultra to the Redster. Do heel pockets 'size' adjust down at the same rate as last does? For example a 26.5 Redster clubsport has a last of 96 while the Hawk Ultra has a 98 last. Is the heel pocket 2mm less also on the clubsport?

Thank you

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Im 242lbs "bare" and 6'3, skied for 30 years and spent many years running GS 95% of the time. Dont need worldcup plug boots, but definetly need something more than the 2021 hawk prime XTD 130s ;) that 100mm last is pretty important to me though. I was/is happy with my current hawk prime 130s, so guessing I will be lookin forward to it :)

I didnt switch to this boot as most used boot until 2019/2020 season (boot is older), but the liner is packing out, and the boots are getting pretty worn so need something new, probably have 100 days on them though. What is the expected lifetime of a boot and liner?

A guy your size is definitely going to turn most any commercial boot to mush. Couple that with big skis and it only exacerbates the issue. We currently don't build a 100mm boot on the same level as a Redster Club Sport, and as much as I see the need for some people to be in such a boot, it won't be happening in the near future. With that said, if you have a medium/100mm-ish foot shape, it should not be that difficult to get you fit in a Club Sport. There is sooo much plastic in the lower shell that it can really be made to fit a "100mm foot" with minimal swearing.

As for a boot's life expectancy, this is hard to put a number on but most any boot from any brand will last around 150-200 days of actual skiing (not ownership days). This number drops down if people are in fits that are too big, with how rough people are on their gear, if they don't properly take care of it, etc.

One last point, it's a Hawx not a Hawk :beercheer:

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Also @onenerdykid comparing the Hawk Ultra to the Redster. Do heel pockets 'size' adjust down at the same rate as last does? For example a 26.5 Redster clubsport has a last of 96 while the Hawk Ultra has a 98 last. Is the heel pocket 2mm less also on the clubsport?

Thank you

In this specific example, it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Simple answer is no. The Club Sport last is derived from our (now extinct) Redster World Cup last, which share the exact same ankle & heel pocket dimensions. The Club Sport has slightly more space in the navicular, mid/forefoot, and big toe, but the ankle & heel of the World Cup. The Hawx Ultra last is derived from our medium volume Hawx Prime and basically scaled down to 98mm. It's narrow, but it's also designed with a completely different (read: thicker, warmer) liner construction in mind. For what it's worth, my foot can hop into a Hawx Ultra and not need any boot work- I'm locked in & comfortable from the get go. In my Club Sport, I need to do a bit of grinding in the navicular area then I'm all set. Basically, if you can fit into an Ultra, getting a CS to fit is only slightly more work.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm...so the Mimic Professional liner doesn't fit in the Prime XTD?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hmmm...so the Mimic Professional liner doesn't fit in the Prime XTD?
It does, but there isn't an articulating zone in the back of the liner. So you can put a Mimic Professional liner into a Prime XTD, but it won't be a friendly tour.

Arraksboll

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does the professional liner stiffen the boot compared to a regular liner? Asking because my recent boot history suggests that I need to steer away from the stiffest boots. Might have something to do with me being quite short (168 cm) and with short legs for my length, I don't know... Recent boot history:
-Lange SX 120 with Surefoot foam liner: perfect fit but too upright and WAY too stiff.
-Needed pin/walk mode, bought K2 Pinnacle 110 with Intuition Pro Tounge. Can ski these just fine, but after a couple of years started thinking I was not getting enough support (which I now think might be partly because I can't crank them tight enough with the single cuff buckle).
-Bought Scarpa Maestrale RS for touring. Better support (!), flex is maybe a bit on the soft side for resort use. Could probably use these as my only boot but suspect they would not last very long and I want to save them for touring.
-Tecnica Cochise 130. Too stiff. Have had some work done to soften them, but it is not enough. Part of the problem is problably that the fit is a bit sloppy, so I also need a tighter fitting boot.

I've been looking at Hawx Prime 120. Initial fit feels good. If I would buy one of these it would be tempting to think of the professional liner as a backup plan in case I would once again find myself in a boot that has too much volume around the ankle. So, does it affect the flex of the boot? Also, could the flex of the Hawx Prime Professional boot be brought down to something that might be within my preferred range?

/Johan

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Does the professional liner stiffen the boot compared to a regular liner? Asking because my recent boot history suggests that I need to steer away from the stiffest boots. Might have something to do with me being quite short (168 cm) and with short legs for my length, I don't know...

I've been looking at Hawx Prime 120. Initial fit feels good. If I would buy one of these it would be tempting to think of the professional liner as a backup plan in case I would once again find myself in a boot that has too much volume around the ankle. So, does it affect the flex of the boot? Also, could the flex of the Hawx Prime Professional boot be brought down to something that might be within my preferred range?

/Johan
Hi Johan - Our Mimic Professional liners might stiffen the boot a little, but they won't turn a boot that is the correct stiffness into a boot that is too stiff and conversely, they won't turn a boot that is too soft into the proper flex. They will increase your skiing performance but only because the fit is so greatly improved and you have a better connection/interface with the boot.

The Hawx Prime 130 Professional (which uses a normal 130 shell & cuff) has a stiffer shell and stiffer cuff than the 120. The flex of the 130 can be softened a little, but something tells me if you find the Cochise 130 to be too stiff, then a Prime 130 would be also. This is basically impossible to say for sure without seeing you flex the boots, but given your boot history, I would start you down the road of the 120.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January