• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been so happy with the Hawx Ultra XTD 115W. This makes me want to get the alpine version for inbounds.

Atomic is doing a great job innovating and sharing that with consumers.

Same boat. Loved my XTD 130s so much that I quit skiing my (previously beloved) Lange RX130s....

And then went and bought a pair of next years 130 "S" models.

Loving them, but Tom "Razor Heels" K could now use a bit more heel hold, so I really need to get into the local shop and put in a pre-order for the Pro liners in 29.

Fabulous skiing the past two weeks has put me WAY behind on the To Do List! :ogbiggrin:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A guy your size is definitely going to turn most any commercial boot to mush. Couple that with big skis and it only exacerbates the issue. We currently don't build a 100mm boot on the same level as a Redster Club Sport, and as much as I see the need for some people to be in such a boot, it won't be happening in the near future. With that said, if you have a medium/100mm-ish foot shape, it should not be that difficult to get you fit in a Club Sport. There is sooo much plastic in the lower shell that it can really be made to fit a "100mm foot" with minimal swearing.

As for a boot's life expectancy, this is hard to put a number on but most any boot from any brand will last around 150-200 days of actual skiing (not ownership days). This number drops down if people are in fits that are too big, with how rough people are on their gear, if they don't properly take care of it, etc.

One last point, it's a Hawx not a Hawk :beercheer:
bumping this, just helped a buddy with new boots, more specificly the 2021 club sport redster which was a great price here, seeing the performance he is getting out of them, and considering doing it for myself as Im running out of "pure frontside boot". Am I correct in saying the 2022 will get the injection liner & elastic dual strap over the 2021 right? but booth can be added, if I want to? and 2021 has the mimic liner?

we are having freezing nights still which makes for superb skiiing conditions, but bluebird days and above freezing during the day, my current 130s with worn liners+ warm outer shells from sun = Im getting that telemark feel, especially when I grab the 190+ gofast skis.

I was kinda waiting to go all 2022 stuff, but we have 30+ days left of regular skiiing, its currently snowing, and I will log even more days on summerskiiing and indoor,.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
bumping this, just helped a buddy with new boots, more specificly the 2021 club sport redster which was a great price here, seeing the performance he is getting out of them, and considering doing it for myself as Im running out of "pure frontside boot". Am I correct in saying the 2022 will get the injection liner & elastic dual strap over the 2021 right? but booth can be added, if I want to? and 2021 has the mimic liner?

we are having freezing nights still which makes for superb skiiing conditions, but bluebird days and above freezing during the day, my current 130s with worn liners+ warm outer shells from sun = Im getting that telemark feel, especially when I grab the 190+ gofast skis.

I was kinda waiting to go all 2022 stuff, but we have 30+ days left of regular skiiing, its currently snowing, and I will log even more days on summerskiiing and indoor,.
It will definitely make for a good resort option for you (especially if you add on some sort of grippy, Vibram-esque lifter).

20/21 Redster CS 130 has a standard Dual Strap and non-Mimic liner.

21/22 Redster CS 130 has a Professional Dual Strap and a Mimic World Cup liner (heat moldable Mimic material but not foam injected)

21/22 Redster CS 130 Professional has a Professional Dual Strap and the Mimic Professional liner.

All above boots use the same shell & cuff.

If you get the 20/21 CS 130 now, you can always add the Professional Dual Strap and Mimic Professional liner later on.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought this years Redster CS 130 at the beginning of the season. When I heard about the new professional series I thought, awe I should have waited. After using the boot all season, I am glad I did not. The boot is so good as is, that the improvements will be incremental and easily added if desired.

I do have an order in the works to add the new Prof. dual strap, but to tell you the truth, the dual non-elastic strap works well. I actually leave it pretty loose because the boot's flex and the tongue are so good its not really needed. It will ramp the flex up quicker if you tighten it up, but I prefer the more gradual ramp. The elastic feature of the new one will be a benefit, I think, so I ordered one for next year.

The liner in this years CS boot (non-mimic) is very very good. It is dense foam, very comfortable, and very responsive. It seems to work perfectly with the close fit of the shell to give you almost instant reaction, but great padded feel and comfort. I do have a mimic in my Hawx XTD touring boot, and I like that a lot as well. It was a big improvement over the light weight touring liner that came with the XTD originally. The new CS mimic will have to be really impressive to top what they have now. I don't feel like I am giving up anything to use the non mimic liner for a few years until it packs out and then upgrade to a mimic or mimic professional.

I wound up cutting the clog V notch a little deeper to soften the flex of the boot. Atomic puts three lines on the clog specifically for that. I used the middle line of the three. In the warm spring temps, the boots flex is absolutely perfect for my skiing. The thing that amazes me about this boot, is there is very very little shell distortion. Just nice damp flex and rebound. The plastic is definitely different than my previous Lange RS140's and really does feel softer, but firmer. More initial give, but ramps up firmer and more controlled. It just feels very nice and the control and skiing precision I get from the boot is "best eva" without having a rock hard race boot. Don't get me wrong, this boot is firm, but with a nice progressive feel to it.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was kinda waiting to go all 2022 stuff, but we have 30+ days left of regular skiiing, its currently snowing, and I will log even more days on summer skiiing and indoor,.

Jealous. We just ended an amazing corn (fairly poor pow) season here, and I'm not ready to quit......I guess that will help with early season excitement next season.

James

Out There
Instructor
What color are next years boots? Red or green or graphite or something else?

Btw, wth is wrong with everyone and these Son of Darth Vader boot colors? Incredibly boring and disappointing.

I was going to say Johnny Cash didn’t ski, but apparently he did at least once.

06D0AE0C-6D5C-488F-94E1-27AB518047F5.jpeg

J.R. Cash, Bavaria, Germany 1954
Ski trip to the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the Wetterstein mountains.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
What color are next years boots? Red or green or graphite or something else?

Btw, wth is wrong with everyone and these Son of Darth Vader boot colors? Incredibly boring and disappointing.

You can see the Professional boots in the original post of this thread.

Redster CS 130 Professional is our classic racing red with dark red buckles.

Hawx Ultra & Prime 130 Professionals are black with anodized red accents.

Hawx Ultra 115 W Professional is black and pewter accents.

There's also a lot of nice detailing you'll notice when you get the boots in hand. I don't think you'll find the boots to be boring.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
my pre taste at new pro I guess, got fitted today for redster CS130, minor adjustments for my "jahnsrud" toe. then skied them.
to no surprise to anyone, performance was definetly a solid notch or two up from my hawx prime 130x

Are the "modern" boots wider in the front of boot than older? guess my shell is 5-6 years (bought multiple boots when I found one that fit with minimal work back then) I'm on my last pair, and they have probably seen 200+ days....

I did hawx xtd 130for new touring, but thinking I need a pair of proffesioanl ultra as well for next year

Temps were 12c in shade at end of day and bluebird, redster was miles ahead in stiffness. Happy camper! are redster 130 cs 96 or 98 btw?

2021-04-17 13.02.03.jpg

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Current boots aren't so much wider as they are smarter, if that makes sense. A Club Sport is 96mm in size 26, so it is definitely a narrow boot, but we put a lot of effort into making sure the curves/shapes/contours are all in the right spot (as best we can) and toe boxes are less "arrow head shaped" than they were 15 years ago. It's very anatomically shaped.

Glad you are enjoying them, definitely a strong boot!!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you sir, It has a totally different feel, and roomier where I needed, but the control aspect was very very nice.

I think this means I can go with a 98mm "ultra "for new mimic pro line 2021 version ? then the question is, can I use the same proffesional injected liner for both boots? or is the redster cS 130 pro a different injected liner than the regular 130 flex pro?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Thank you sir, It has a totally different feel, and roomier where I needed, but the control aspect was very very nice.

I think this means I can go with a 98mm "ultra "for new mimic pro line 2021 version ? then the question is, can I use the same proffesional injected liner for both boots? or is the redster cS 130 pro a different injected liner than the regular 130 flex pro?
Honestly, if you have this boot, I don't think you will need a Hawx Ultra. Just get a Mimic Professional liner and Professional Dual Strap for your CS boot and you'll have your resort weapon.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I need the GW for the table dancing! hope we can do that next year! ;)

but my new 2021 hawx 130 xtd I allready have + redster with new liner and booster might indeed be enough. I seem to have a few boot jumps every few years where I have the patience to fit them, so I dont have to do it for a few years...

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I need the GW for the table dancing! hope we can do that next year! ;)

but my new 2021 hawx 130 xtd I allready have + redster with new liner and booster might indeed be enough. I seem to have a few boot jumps every few years where I have the patience to fit them, so I dont have to do it for a few years...
There are grippy/rubber lifters can you get for solid sole boots, like Redster. Any shops that would be able to do toe/heel routering or sole planing usually have some sort of selection.

Laundrygnome

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a pair of 21 Hawx Prime 130s, I love the boots but they have loosened up a bit with about 30 days on them. The lv tounge is intriguing, will they only work with the professional series liners?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I have a pair of 21 Hawx Prime 130s, I love the boots but they have loosened up a bit with about 30 days on them. The lv tounge is intriguing, will they only work with the professional series liners?
The V3 Tongue System only works with liners that have a removeable tongue. This means Mimic Professional as well as most Redster World Cup liners, but not regular Mimic or 3D liners.

Don'tfit

Putting on skis
Skier
Question for the Nerdy Kid if you may. Skiing the CS130 with a zipfit for the past season and a half (C19).
Really really like the fit, response. 5'11" and 160lbs me is and Most of the time the flex pattern is spot on with little to no distortion in the clog......but......there are times when it feels maybe a little too stiff to initiate the flex. I have considered relieving the V but I would like to read your thoughts on the leverage effect of increasing the forward lean angle with, I think they (you) call it the power shift? I have tried this with the thick shim at the rear between the clog and the cuff and still only one cuff bolt and it indeed changed, softened, my perceived feel of the flex pattern. No real variation in the outside air temperature or power strap when A-B ing the change. Thanks for any thoughts.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Question for the Nerdy Kid if you may. Skiing the CS130 with a zipfit for the past season and a half (C19).
Really really like the fit, response. 5'11" and 160lbs me is and Most of the time the flex pattern is spot on with little to no distortion in the clog......but......there are times when it feels maybe a little too stiff to initiate the flex. I have considered relieving the V but I would like to read your thoughts on the leverage effect of increasing the forward lean angle with, I think they (you) call it the power shift? I have tried this with the thick shim at the rear between the clog and the cuff and still only one cuff bolt and it indeed changed, softened, my perceived feel of the flex pattern. No real variation in the outside air temperature or power strap when A-B ing the change. Thanks for any thoughts.
Is using the thicker, 5mm shim in the back solving the issue for you? Or is it still a little too stiff?

If you are wishing the boot initiated the flex more easily, I would have the shell Vs cut down a bit. Perhaps just a couple of millimeters at first, then see how that feels. If not enough, do a couple more. I think you will find this to be the best way to arrive at your desired flex pattern because even though it's non-reversible, you are taking off so little that it won't feel like you've done too much too soon.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am happy to say that I have the Professional liner for my Hawx's Prime 130s on special order (whenever they start shipping) from my local boot shop. My stock liners seemed to have packed out a bit after 1.5mm vertical in them. I added the footbed thingy that worked for awhile, but now time for a new liner. Really happy that the Pro liner is an option rather than new boots.

Query in the catalog the liner for the Hawx Prime shows that it comes "standard" with the mid volume tongue? I assume that is correct?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Query in the catalog the liner for the Hawx Prime shows that it comes "standard" with the mid volume tongue? I assume that is correct?

Yes, Hawx boots & liners come with the Medium Volume tongue which is the same foam thickness found in a regular Hawx liner.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January