• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
From what I was told, that was how to do it. I guess that's not the case...

If you're in NH, I would start by calling Roger's in Lincoln or Ken Jones in Manchester and go from there.
Thanks for the quick response. Rogers had 1 size 26.5 in stock total and not sure if they would get more in other sizes. KJ, has a couple and indicated they have had a half dozen calls about this boot already. KJ indicated the Atomic rep would be coming in sometime in October for a fitting clinic of sorts. Looks like a buy early sort of year for most ski related gear and perhaps these boots in particular.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Lol so not trying to keep this going but Racers Edge (I would hope they of all shops know what’s going on) doesn’t have S/M and M/L sizing… only S/M/L. They double checked and anecdotally used a M with a guy that has a 28.5 boot/fairly beefy calf and it fit fine.

@onenerdykid got some wisdom on sizing? On a positive note the new straps have been selling pretty fast there according to them.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Here is what I have been looking at and when I poke around more, its clear there are issues.

Clicking on all the options, the S/M says size small in the paragraph description and the M/L says size medium in the paragraph description. There is no 3rd option that says Large. The PN I ordered says Medium in the paragraph description and M/L in the title. I am a 29.5 boot with a relatively small diam. calf. ONK suggested I go with that one. Seems the best choice for my situation. If you have a big foot, beefy calf, wonder how big the Large is, if it exists?

Can't trust everything you see on the web, right?

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
I had a chance to try these on (Ultra 130) at KJ in Manchester, NH. I wear 26.5 and the fit was as expected for me as I had tried last years model this past spring and the fit seems the same out of the box. Neither I or the the boot fitter could figure out how to get the professional strap on correctly, but as noted they are really waiting until the Atomic rep comes in sometime in October to get some training in how to fit the boot.

The boot I tried on had the low volume tongue in it and I understand, this is the thickest tongue and is used to take up the most volume in the cuff making it a low volume cuff. I have calves on the large side so I think it took up too much room for me.

ONK, I’m likely going to purchase these now and get fitted later, but want to make sure I have the option to try the medium volume tongue. Will shops? Have multiple tongues to use during the fitting process?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Lol so not trying to keep this going but Racers Edge (I would hope they of all shops know what’s going on) doesn’t have S/M and M/L sizing… only S/M/L. They double checked and anecdotally used a M with a guy that has a 28.5 boot/fairly beefy calf and it fit fine.

@onenerdykid got some wisdom on sizing? On a positive note the new straps have been selling pretty fast there according to them.
After the catalog was made, a change happened to the labeled/achieved sizing - but not really the strap itself.

Complete boots were made with S, M, L straps and aftermarket straps are made with S/M and M/L. Both sizing versions function the same and cover the exact same sizing spectrum. Without getting too lost in the weeds, since 2013 our Dual Straps' sizing changes by the rear piece (the front velcro area is the same across all sizes) and this is the same for the Professional Dual Straps. S/M and M/L straps have two sets of mounting holes in the back of the boot to cover sizes 22 -30 without issue. Again, same size spectrum covered and moving forward everything will be made as S/M or M/L. The S/M or M/L versions just allow you to more easily center the strap on the front of the boot and allow stock to be more easily managed/available. If you have a dedicated S,M,L strap, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it - if you ever need additional mounting holes to get the perfect set up, you just need to add them on your own (like you would anyway need to do with a Booster strap).

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

Here is what I have been looking at and when I poke around more, its clear there are issues.

Clicking on all the options, the S/M says size small in the paragraph description and the M/L says size medium in the paragraph description. There is no 3rd option that says Large. The PN I ordered says Medium in the paragraph description and M/L in the title. I am a 29.5 boot with a relatively small diam. calf. ONK suggested I go with that one. Seems the best choice for my situation. If you have a big foot, beefy calf, wonder how big the Large is, if it exists?

Can't trust everything you see on the web, right?
I just put this together so you all can get a better idea of how the sizing goes (a more refined version will be on the website shortly).
Professional Dual Strap Sizing.PNG

This is how the complete boots are specified from our side and I would use it as a guide for selecting your strap. As you can see, there is naturally overlap on the "M" straps (if you are a size 27 Hawx boot, you can wear either size Dual Strap because they achieve the exact same thing). Sizing will depend firstly on your boot size (larger boots have larger diameter cuffs) and secondarily on your calf size. If you have a 27 Hawx with a skinny leg, you'll be fine with the S/M. If you have a 27 Hawx with an "athletic calf", go with the M/L and it can accommodate a larger leg if needed.

Even easier- If you are 26 or smaller, get the S/M. If you are size 27 or bigger, get a M/L strap. That will more or less apply to both Hawx & Redster versions.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I had a chance to try these on (Ultra 130) at KJ in Manchester, NH. I wear 26.5 and the fit was as expected for me as I had tried last years model this past spring and the fit seems the same out of the box. Neither I or the the boot fitter could figure out how to get the professional strap on correctly, but as noted they are really waiting until the Atomic rep comes in sometime in October to get some training in how to fit the boot.

The boot I tried on had the low volume tongue in it and I understand, this is the thickest tongue and is used to take up the most volume in the cuff making it a low volume cuff. I have calves on the large side so I think it took up too much room for me.

ONK, I’m likely going to purchase these now and get fitted later, but want to make sure I have the option to try the medium volume tongue. Will shops? Have multiple tongues to use during the fitting process?
Are you sure the boot came with the "Low Volume" fit tongue (white plastic tongue)? All Hawx boots in all sizes should come with the "Medium Volume" fit tongue (black plastic tongue). And on the tongue's pull strap there will be a "V3 Low Volume" or "V3 Medium Volume" label stitched on to it.

Good idea to at least reserve them until you are ready to buy. You would need to ask the staff at KJ if they ordered the V3 tongues. That's up to them. Also ask them if they ordered any Redster Professional boots or liners as they come with the High Volume fit tongue (red plastic tongue). If you need more space, you can try the tongue from those liners. Lastly, if you get the boot fitted with one tongue you can swap it out later on- that won't cause a fit problem. That's what I did with my Redster CS which comes with the High Volume fit tongue. It ended up being too much volume for me so I swapped it out for the Medium and now it fits like a dream.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
@ScottB i dunno.
I just put this together so you all can get a better idea of how the sizing goes (a more refined version will be on the website shortly).
View attachment 142168
This is how the complete boots are specified from our side and I would use it as a guide for selecting your strap. As you can see, there is naturally overlap on the "M" straps (if you are a size 27 Hawx boot, you can wear either size Dual Strap because they achieve the exact same thing). Sizing will depend firstly on your boot size (larger boots have larger diameter cuffs) and secondarily on your calf size. If you have a 27 Hawx with a skinny leg, you'll be fine with the S/M. If you have a 27 Hawx with an "athletic calf", go with the M/L and it can accommodate a larger leg if needed.

Even easier- If you are 26 or smaller, get the S/M. If you are size 27 or bigger, get a M/L strap. That will more or less apply to both Hawx & Redster versions.
Thx. Another suggestion… put a short YT/Vimeo video up that instructs how to properly set up the strap. If you’ve got an Atomic shop that isn’t sure how to set up it properly like in @Jb.schulte sitation … not a good sign that your training materials/collateral are supporting your launch.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@ScottB i dunno.

Thx. Another suggestion… put a short YT/Vimeo video up that instructs how to properly set up the strap. If you’ve got an Atomic shop that isn’t sure how to set up it properly like in @Jb.schulte sitation … not a good sign that your training materials/collateral are supporting your launch.
Resources like this exist for retailers already, created from the HQ side. Sometimes things just take a little time to trickle down to shop-kid level. Making sure the message gets from global brand to specific country to sales rep to buyer to shop kid is definitely a challenge that we/any brand often face. And making sure it doesn't turn into a game of telephone is even harder.

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
Are you sure the boot came with the "Low Volume" fit tongue (white plastic tongue)? All Hawx boots in all sizes should come with the "Medium Volume" fit tongue (black plastic tongue). And on the tongue's pull strap there will be a "V3 Low Volume" or "V3 Medium Volume" label stitched on to it.

Good idea to at least reserve them until you are ready to buy. You would need to ask the staff at KJ if they ordered the V3 tongues. That's up to them. Also ask them if they ordered any Redster Professional boots or liners as they come with the High Volume fit tongue (red plastic tongue). If you need more space, you can try the tongue from those liners. Lastly, if you get the boot fitted with one tongue you can swap it out later on- that won't cause a fit problem. That's what I did with my Redster CS which comes with the High Volume fit tongue. It ended up being too much volume for me so I swapped it out for the Medium and now it fits like a dream.
I do think it was the black tongue so I guess it would be the medium tongue. When I pulled the liner out of the shell, at the bottom of the tongue where it velcros to the liner it said "Low" maybe this is in reference to how the tongue is positioned when attached to the liner? It does look like there are a couple ovals on the liner just above the toe box and a red line on the bottom of the tongue that shows up in the oval when it's properly positioned? Also good to know that swapping out the tongue would not affect the ankle/heel fit once it is foam injected.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I do think it was the black tongue so I guess it would be the medium tongue. When I pulled the liner out of the shell, at the bottom of the tongue where it velcros to the liner it said "Low" maybe this is in reference to how the tongue is positioned when attached to the liner? It does look like there are a couple ovals on the liner just above the toe box and a red line on the bottom of the tongue that shows up in the oval when it's properly positioned? Also good to know that swapping out the tongue would not affect the ankle/heel fit once it is foam injected.
The tongue fixation to the liner is adjustable via Velcro and there are "low", medium (unwritten but indicated), and "high" marks for fine tuning tongue position on each V3 tongue style.

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
The tongue fixation to the liner is adjustable via Velcro and there are "low", medium (unwritten but indicated), and "high" marks for fine tuning tongue position on each V3 tongue style.
Got it about the tongue.

also, I put down 1/2 the price of this boot to reserve the only 26.5 at KJ. they also told me they were unsure if they would get any more of these this year. I also volunteered to be the fitted as part of their training process for this boot when the Atomic rep comes in to show them the ropes ogsmile

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Yay. Arrived. Thought I was getting the Hawx version but got the Redster.

So did I receive size Medium as in S/M/L or a S/M (small) or M/L (medium) that’s indicated on the Atomic USA website?

Also, these are going on Shift Pro 120s which just have a hole middle of the back of the shell. What is the secondary strap with a hole for (see poc)/how should I handle it? Still a second? If so, recommended both size (looks 6mm ish)?

Attachments

• 5A6B1821-08A3-48AD-B0F8-0624B80E27FE.jpeg
    5A6B1821-08A3-48AD-B0F8-0624B80E27FE.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 101A7716-09A0-48EE-B586-579B313C11EC.jpeg
    101A7716-09A0-48EE-B586-579B313C11EC.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 537B7C17-178F-4F80-BD4E-0763D4147A0E.jpeg
    537B7C17-178F-4F80-BD4E-0763D4147A0E.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Yay. Arrived. Thought I was getting the Hawx version but got the Redster.

So did I receive size Medium as in S/M/L or a S/M (small) or M/L (medium) that’s indicated on the Atomic USA website?

Also, these are going on Shift Pro 120s which just have a hole middle of the back of the shell. What is the secondary strap with a hole for (see poc)/how should I handle it? Still a second? If so, recommended both size (looks 6mm ish)?
Nice. So this version that you have labeled as "M" is what is now M/L. The only difference is that the M/L has 4 sets of mounting holes (two positions for a two-hole fixation). I'm not sure how that is going to jive with your Shift Pro because I think they have an odd way to mount the power strap (a two piece power strap like S/Pro or S/Max?). Is your boot's strap mounted like this?
salomon-s-pro-strap mount.jpg

You should put the new strap on the cuff without drilling anything to make sure it fits first. And then if it fits, then you will need to drill new holes into the cuff where you want the new strap mounted.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice. So this version that you have labeled as "M" is what is now M/L. The only difference is that the M/L has 4 sets of mounting holes (two positions for a two-hole fixation). I'm not sure how that is going to jive with your Shift Pro because I think they have an odd way to mount the power strap (a two piece power strap like S/Pro or S/Max?). Is your boot's strap mounted like this?
View attachment 142448
You should put the new strap on the cuff without drilling anything to make sure it fits first. And then if it fits, then you will need to drill new holes into the cuff where you want the new strap mounted.
Thx. More holes is def better. Haven’t ridden the shift pros yet. FYI M seems to fit 27 Shift Pros fine based on wrapping it and the mounting holes seem to align.

Realized I’ve got 2 holes on them vs 1 with my S/Pros… so think I’m good there.

Also should I punch a hole through the part of the strap where the tab with the hole in it is (see previous pic) or just attach screw through the tab?

Attachments

• 79CB90BA-5742-4FDC-90FF-417FED43B9AF.jpeg
    79CB90BA-5742-4FDC-90FF-417FED43B9AF.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Also should I punch a hole through the part of the strap where the tab with the hole in it is (see previous pic) or just attach screw through the tab?
Just attach the straps with the existing holes (don't add a hole through the fabric webbing). This allows you to have more potential to tighten the strap as tight as you want.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
ONK,

I got some some Hawx Primes two years ago from Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT and they have been best boots and buying/fit experience in my many, many years of being a skier. Only modification I made was to add Booster strap, custom insoles, and normal heat molding of liner. The new liners are intriguing and I plan to take a look at them. Can you confirm my understanding that the Professional series Primes are the same shell as my current boots (they are the grey ones with green parts). I have about 80 to 90 days on the shells so I’m leaning to no change or buying new Professional liner but we’ll see…..

Thanks,
Jim

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
ONK,

I got some some Hawx Primes two years ago from Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT and they have been best boots and buying/fit experience in my many, many years of being a skier. Only modification I made was to add Booster strap, custom insoles, and normal heat molding of liner. The new liners are intriguing and I plan to take a look at them. Can you confirm my understanding that the Professional series Primes are the same shell as my current boots (they are the grey ones with green parts). I have about 80 to 90 days on the shells so I’m leaning to no change or buying new Professional liner but we’ll see…..

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim, Glad you are liking your Primes! The new Hawx Prime 130 Professional is the same mold series as your current boot (but only available in a 130 flex- you might have the 120?) and comes with the new Mimic Professional liner and Professional Dual Strap.

Given that you've only got 80-90 days on the boot, I would steer you towards getting the Hawx version of the Mimic Professional Liner and going with the Professional Dual Strap for your existing boots. That would save you a decent chunk of cash vs. buying the complete boot.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
TY! Shiny, new boots are always nice but my wallet prefers your idea. I’m on the 130 flex shell already so even more reason to go with the individual upgrade approach. I have some skis to drop off to be mounted and good excuse to see what Boot Pro has in supply or is expecting.

Sponsor

Staff online