• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jim,

I bought boots from Boot Pro in Ludlow VT and had excellent experiences with them. They are my "bootfitter" now, the owner, Shawn, I think is who I dealt with, although all their boot fitters seem very good.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
@onenerdykid got them on. Few mm slack on the strap between screws. Should I punch a hole (see pic)

What size are the screws that come w the straps? One head stripped, like to replace. I was using my gunsmith grade hex set. Metal of the screws seemed on the soft side.

Also screws are a tad short for the Shift Pro shell. It was a PITA installing, could barely get the initial thread to engage.

Recommend you include an additional set of screws maybe 2-3mm longer for thicker shells.

Attachments

• BF87811E-6698-4AE0-80B0-A1F10FD750B0.jpeg
    BF87811E-6698-4AE0-80B0-A1F10FD750B0.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 89D3E686-7661-4C04-9247-F7390D199109.jpeg
    89D3E686-7661-4C04-9247-F7390D199109.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid got them on. Few mm slack on the strap between screws. Should I punch a hole (see pic)

What size are the screws that come w the straps? One head stripped, like to replace. I was using my gunsmith grade hex set. Metal of the screws seemed on the soft side.

Also screws are a tad short for the Shift Pro shell. It was a PITA installing, could barely get the initial thread to engage.

Recommend you include an additional set of screws maybe 2-3mm longer for thicker shells.
You won't need to punch a hole, but if it bothers you aesthetically you can punch a new lateral side hole (hole closest to the boot buckles). Just make sure it's a few/5mm away from the original hole. If not just keep it how it is.

Screws are M4 x 5.5mm. Take the existing good one (and the claw nut) to your local hardware store and get something longer. Avoid going too long, as it will extend through the cuff and eat up the back of your liner. And always throw on some Loctite or similar thread lock.

Mac-O

Booting up
Skier
Hi @onenerdykid - just placed my order for a pair of Hawx Professional! Can´t wait to feel the difference from my ordinary Hawx.
My boot doc told my about Head Liquidfit - what would you say is the main difference compered to Atomic Professional liner?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
My boot doc told my about Head Liquidfit - what would you say is the main difference compered to Atomic Professional liner?
I’ll chime in here about my experience with the liquid-fit. The liquid fit stays ‘liquidy’ kinda like wood glue consistency it never ‘hardens’. I ski almost everyday and i found that liquid-fit stuff would kinda settle overnight in the bladder so the first few runs it would work its way back to where my foot needed. I skied those liners for about 50-60 days before i swapped in some zip fits. I plan on skiing my raptors this season then switching to redster pros next year.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hi @onenerdykid - just placed my order for a pair of Hawx Professional! Can´t wait to feel the difference from my ordinary Hawx.
Nice! It will be very noticeable upgrade for you.

The Head system is very different. Their injection material is wax based and never solidifies in place- it will move around and change shape. It's also only in the ankle area. Our system uses a special heat moldable plastic (the Mimic part in the ankle) combined with injected PU foam (in the heel, ankle, and midfoot), a heat-moldable plastic tongue and a heat moldable carbon cuff in the calf area. Our system also allows for swapping out the tongue for a different thickness (which are sold separately) should you want/need to do that. Our system is much more of a tailored-to-you kind of thing.

Mac-O

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for that - a rather big different so to speak...:)
I think you mentioned it in your pod with Blister that the old Hawx Ultra could sometime collapse mid foot under high pressure turns.
I actually experienced just that when I got my Maverick 100 TI last winter. And that ski can really take some pressure...:)
So the decision was easy to go for a pair of Professional this season. Super stoked!

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
ONK,

Outside of improved fit and longevity of good fit, what should I expect with the Professional liner. Again, I’d be swapping out liner from 2020/2021 Hawk Prime 130. Stiffer overall flex, more reactive, etc.?

Also, Max-O made me think of this but when in funky snow (spring slop and bumps) and high speeds I’d occasionally get this strange feeling from the boot. It was infrequent so not really able to describe it well but kind of like a pinch/poke where bottom of shin meets top of foot. Seems like something going on where the two shell pieces come together and interface with front of liner. Wondering if beefier liner and/or closer fit would address this and it not really being something with the boot shell itself. It definitely occurred more frequently last season and slight packing of liner could have been part of it. I’m average weight (170-175 lbs.) so never thought of me making boot “collapse” but suppose could be right combo of me being out of position, strange torque from mogul, and speed. Always got my attention but was forgotten due to infrequency.

Thank you sir!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, Max-O made me think of this but when in funky snow (spring slop and bumps) and high speeds I’d occasionally get this strange feeling from the boot. It was infrequent so not really able to describe it well but kind of like a pinch/poke where bottom of shin meets top of foot. Seems like something going on where the two shell pieces come together and interface with front of liner.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks and interesting video. Must be the upper cuff I am feeling as can tell it is straight angled plastic and getting into a position it doesn’t normally reach with normal flexing and movements. Wish I could replicate it by just flexing in boot and maybe I could with skis on carpeting and me clamped into bindings.

Of course the answer that this phenomenon goes away with new Professional liner would be acceptable

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Truberski,

I have a guess as to what you feel. A women I ski with just got new hawx ultra xtd boots. She was getting some pain on her shin above her ankle. After a tongue adjustment, heat mold, new mimic liner, and another heat mold, still there. Felt good when not skiing. Flexing brought it on. The shell or clog overlap in the front had to be cut down as it was digging into her shin on the side when she flexed the boot a lot. All is well now. First time I had ever heard of that needing to be done

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
ONK,

Outside of improved fit and longevity of good fit, what should I expect with the Professional liner. Again, I’d be swapping out liner from 2020/2021 Hawk Prime 130. Stiffer overall flex, more reactive, etc.?

Also, Max-O made me think of this but when in funky snow (spring slop and bumps) and high speeds I’d occasionally get this strange feeling from the boot. It was infrequent so not really able to describe it well but kind of like a pinch/poke where bottom of shin meets top of foot. Seems like something going on where the two shell pieces come together and interface with front of liner. Wondering if beefier liner and/or closer fit would address this and it not really being something with the boot shell itself. It definitely occurred more frequently last season and slight packing of liner could have been part of it. I’m average weight (170-175 lbs.) so never thought of me making boot “collapse” but suppose could be right combo of me being out of position, strange torque from mogul, and speed. Always got my attention but was forgotten due to infrequency.

Thank you sir!

With the Mimic Professional liner, because the liner contours literally mirror the contours of your foot, ankle, leg, etc., you will first notice a surprisingly seamless, locked-in feel to the boot. That locked-in feel translates to an incredibly responsive & simultaneously comfortable boot. And because the foam is filling up the space around your foot as it exactly needs, it creates the proper thickness in the area you are referring to. I bet that alone will help a lot.

Additionally, the tongue's plastic thickness is thicker and more powerful than what a regular Hawx boot has- the Mimic Professional tongue actually comes from the Redster series. It will act like a better shield there for you. I imagine that this could also help address the weird issue you are feeling in your current Hawx liner.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
With the Mimic Professional liner, because the liner contours literally mirror the contours of your foot, ankle, leg, etc., you will first notice a surprisingly seamless, locked-in feel to the boot. That locked-in feel translates to an incredibly responsive & simultaneously comfortable boot. And because the foam is filling up the space around your foot as it exactly needs, it creates the proper thickness in the area you are referring to. I bet that alone will help a lot.

Additionally, the tongue's plastic thickness is thicker and more powerful than what a regular Hawx boot has- the Mimic Professional tongue actually comes from the Redster series. It will act like a better shield there for you. I imagine that this could also help address the weird issue you are feeling in your current Hawx liner.
Thank you and this information is super helpful. I hope leadership of Atomic appreciates how good of an ambassador you are to the brand. You clearly know your stuff and have a way of explaining things that
even I can understand and appreciate! And, I’ve never seen/heard you knock another brand which adds to your credibility.

Said more direct, you are the man and I am very glad your current boot designs work so well for me!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Thank you and this information is super helpful. I hope leadership of Atomic appreciates how good of an ambassador you are to the brand. You clearly know your stuff and have a way of explaining things that
even I can understand and appreciate! And, I’ve never seen/heard you knock another brand which adds to your credibility.

Said more direct, you are the man and I am very glad your current boot designs work so well for me!
I sincerely appreciate that, I really do. I guess it's just a holdover from my boot-fitting days and enjoying helping people out.

Let's hope we can keep the good ideas coming ;)

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am excited to say I received a call yesterday from The Racer's Edge in Breck. My special order 26.5 Mimic Professional liner has been delivered to the shop!! They will go into my Hawx Prime boots.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I am excited to say I received a call yesterday from The Racer's Edge in Breck. My special order 26.5 Mimic Professional liner has been delivered to the shop!! They will go into my Hawx Prime boots.
Nice, glad to hear things are arriving in shops. Keep us posted on how everything goes- curious to hear what you think of the fit!

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Nice, glad to hear things are arriving in shops. Keep us posted on how everything goes- curious to hear what you think of the fit!
At least they are making it somewhere, we are looking at November for delivery

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Just posted this in another thread but the first picture in this thread shows it also. Why do these boots have only one bolt in the back installed? How should the second one be put in? Can it be done at home?
Thank you.

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look back in the Atomic boot thread. ONK explains it very well. Summary is one screw is normal for the stock 16 deg forward lean. If you want to change it, you settle on what you want and drill a second hole and install the second screw. It is fine to ski it with just one screw

Someone

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello everyone,

I recently got a STI 150 and i'd like to know if i can turn the canting "circle" 180° the way it's drown on the picture.

IMG_20211015_072719.jpg

It seems it could rotate the Shell to get the tune right.

(Am i asking on the right topic ?)

Thanks.