• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Thanks, I'll start there :).

On a side note, I was looking through your catalog and noticed you sell lifter plates. If I were to install the 3mm ones on my shoes, would they need to be grinded to iso spec? The only reason I want the plates are to protect the shoe from damage when walking, since you can replace the plates when worn.
That's correct - adding any lifter to a Redster boot will require the boot's toes & heels back to ISO heights. The 3mm lifters won't last very long, you're most likely better off with the 5mm. They will last longer (it's the ends of the toes and heels that wear down first) and you'll need the boots ground no matter which one you go with.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use these which are cheaper and make walking easier. They are bulky and kind of a pain to put in your pocket when dirty. Just an alternative.

Sidas - Ski Boot Traction Cleats for Ski Boots

1618953213632.png

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
130CS what a boot!

2 weekends, 4 skidays, of 6-8 hours of actual skiiing each, 0 liftlines and just tons of vert, of what for me has been pretty hard skiiing I'm just loving the 130CS. my thighs and entire body are hurting, not my feet!!!

For me the fit is more comfy than my 100mm hawx after som initial breaking. Only negative thing so far is.. why didnt I do this sooner?!
Kinda wishing for an even tighter fit so will see my boot guy again, and throw in the volume reduzer. Ironicly the first boot that has been done right from the start for me, without pain on my right toe knuckle.

any comments on how they are for really cold days vs the regular hawx series now? Im honestly considering this for "daily", even for longer trips where I can only bring 1 boot.

Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
130CS what a boot!

2 weekends, 4 skidays, of 6-8 hours of actual skiiing each, 0 liftlines and just tons of vert, of what for me has been pretty hard skiiing I'm just loving the 130CS. my thighs and entire body are hurting, not my feet!!!

For me the fit is more comfy than my 100mm hawx after som initial breaking. Only negative thing so far is.. why didnt I do this sooner?!
Kinda wishing for an even tighter fit so will see my boot guy again, and throw in the volume reduzer. Ironicly the first boot that has been done right from the start for me, without pain on my right toe knuckle.

any comments on how they are for really cold days vs the regular hawx series now? Im honestly considering this for "daily", even for longer trips where I can only bring 1 boot.
I told you so ;)

This boot really rips - it's definitely the sleeper in our boot range. For me, it's just as warm as an Ultra. It's my primary resort boot.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
130CS what a boot!

So, just to make sure: you went from Hawx Magna to CS130? And all good?

If that’s the case I should absolutely have no worries about going from RS130 to CS130 as the difference is 1 mm only.

Best for me is that the BSL difference is also 1 mm only so I wont have to adjust the bindings of my skis and could rotate the two boots.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, just to make sure: you went from Hawx Magna to CS130? And all good?

If that’s the case I should absolutely have no worries about going from RS130 to CS130 as the difference is 1 mm only.

Best for me is that the BSL difference is also 1 mm only so I wont have to adjust the bindings of my skis and could rotate the two boots.
nono, I went from 100mm hawx prime 130s? I belive its called , I have 102/103 mm left foot and 104,8mm right foot ish according to scan-fit app

magna is 103 104?

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
nono, I went from 100mm hawx prime 130s? I belive its called , I have 102/103 mm left foot and 104,8mm right foot ish according to scan-fit app

magna is 103 104?

OK clear. So you went from 100 mm to 96 mm boots and they work fine. Gives me quite a lot of hope and peace of mind as I was worried if going from 97 mm to 96 mm would be OK.
I like the Redster Clubsport 130 very much and am looking forward to the Professional model with all the bells and whistles.

Perhaps the only downside compared to Ultra is that I will still have to carry around the Boot Traction thingies to protect the soles as I am not a fan of putting vibram soles.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Like @onenerdykid you can just router them and put on changeable soles, I dont think anyone are vibram/rubber though?
I just walk in the snow, or try to, kinda spoiled, I have not walked more than 50 meters at any time to a hill this year I think :p

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like @onenerdykid you can just router them and put on changeable soles, I dont think anyone are vibram/rubber though?
I just walk in the snow, or try to, kinda spoiled, I have not walked more than 50 meters at any time to a hill this year I think :p

Yeah, them changeable soles I meant, not sure vibram or something else. Just do not want to do anything with the soles and alter them in any way.

I only had to walk on tarmac once this year for like 100 m and it left some deep scratches on the soles of my RS 130-heartbreaking. Would not want any of this anymore.ogsmile

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Unfortunately, nothing from Atomic exists yet like this yet. But there are options from other brands, like Head, where a Vibram lifter is available. They usually aren't automatically fitting, but any shop that does lifters and make them work without any issue.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went from a RS140 to the Club Sport this year. I am finishing up a review on the CS and will post soon. I hear you on marking up the plastic soles of these boots. Just a FWIW, my RS's are 9 years old and very marked up on each end of the boot, but its never affected the contact with the binding. Never used the slip on rubbers until this year of Covid, when I started walking through parking lots. The plastic soles hold up fine, at least walking from lodge to slopes. I am hoping next season is back to normal, and I will boot up in the lodge. The slip on rubbers work great for parking lots, but I don't like carrying them on my person while skiing. So far, I stash them in a plastic bag some where outside the lodge and retrieve them at the end of the day. If I skied with a backpack, which I don't in the resort, that would take care of the issue. I agree with you on the slip on rubbers, but not using is not that bad either. I guess it depends on where you are walking and how far. The plastic soles are a bit slippery on ice for sure.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A question about Hawx Ultra 95S: any changes from this to next year's model? What is the reason these do not come with Mimic liner, or am I wrong on this?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
A question about Hawx Ultra 95S: any changes from this to next year's model? What is the reason these do not come with Mimic liner, or am I wrong on this?
For 21/22, there is a new Hawx Ultra (it's part of the original post to this thread). Same fit but updated shell & cuff construction that delivers better skiing performance and easier step in. The 95 S W will have a Mimic Gold liner. You won't find any info on the new range until the 21/22 website goes live late summer/early fall.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For 21/22, there is a new Hawx Ultra (it's part of the original post to this thread). Same fit but updated shell & cuff construction that delivers better skiing performance and easier step in. The 95 S W will have a Mimic Gold liner. You won't find any info on the new range until the 21/22 website goes live late summer/early fall.

Thank you!:beercheer:
I will wait till fall then.
Hope they will continue being available in white.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi Folks. Anybody heard of any updates to the Hawx Prime 130 XTD boots for 2021/22? As I shared before (on this thread or another?) last season I bought a Hawx Prime 130 for piste, and a Hawx Prime 130 XTD for touring. I made the mistake of buying them in the same size--now I know I need the touring boot to be one shell size larger. So I'm hoping to buy the same Prime XTD 130 boot one size bigger for next year. Before I buy the outgoing model...I wondered if there was anything new in later summer/fall. Thanks.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I made the mistake of buying them in the same size--now I know I need the touring boot to be one shell size larger.

Ermmm.....could you please elaborate on that as I bought my Ultra XTD in the same size as my Lange RS 130. Still have not tested them for touring but what you say sounds like new boots for me too :ogbiggrin:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is the BSL the same for comparable sizes of Redster Ti vs CS 130? What is the BSL for the 27.5?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ermmm.....could you please elaborate on that as I bought my Ultra XTD in the same size as my Lange RS 130. Still have not tested them for touring but what you say sounds like new boots for me too :ogbiggrin:

I have the same size XTD, Redster Club Sport, and Lange RS140. The XTD is the shortest by a smidge. It depends on if you are downsizing to fit into your alpine boot. You don't want to downsize to squeeze into an AT boot.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the same size XTD, Redster Club Sport, and Lange RS140. The XTD is the shortest by a smidge. It depends on if you are downsizing to fit into your alpine boot. You don't want to downsize to squeeze into an AT boot.

This does not sound too good for my budget....:geek:
XTD have BSL 4 mm shorter than RS 130, but strangely I feel good in them.
Good for alpine boot that is. Tight.
Means probably that I should immediately buy a pair of them one size bigger...if I can find one....damn.

Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hi Folks. Anybody heard of any updates to the Hawx Prime 130 XTD boots for 2021/22? As I shared before (on this thread or another?) last season I bought a Hawx Prime 130 for piste, and a Hawx Prime 130 XTD for touring. I made the mistake of buying them in the same size--now I know I need the touring boot to be one shell size larger. So I'm hoping to buy the same Prime XTD 130 boot one size bigger for next year. Before I buy the outgoing model...I wondered if there was anything new in later summer/fall. Thanks.
The 21/22 version is 1:1 the same as 20/21 - no change. If you can find them on sale now, grab 'em!

Sponsor

Staff online