• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Dear forum, I am upgrading from my 2016 Redster FIS 150 and considering the STI 150 lifted. I am active in masters SL racing, 50yo, 170cm 68kg, my feet measure 238mm. My current boot size is MP24/.5 with Zipfit gara liners. My current setup has great heel and midfoot hold and with the memory fit heat molding I created enough room for my wide front foot and pronounced halus valgus. To achieve an even better race fit I am wondering if I should consider sizing down the new STI to a 23,5 shell. Or would that just open a can of bootfitting worms with low return on investment?
What's the shell fit like in your current 24/24.5 Redster FIS 150s? (To do this, remove the liner from the shell, step into the shell with your bare foot, slide your foot to the front of the shell and examine the space behind your heel. 1cm or 2cm of space?)

Despite being a "93mm" boot, the STI (in the same size) is going to be lower volume and narrower in all aspects than your Redster FIS shell. Be aware of this when considering sizes and with your wide foot.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
What's the shell fit like in your current 24/24.5 Redster FIS 150s? (To do this, remove the liner from the shell, step into the shell with your bare foot, slide your foot to the front of the shell and examine the space behind your heel. 1cm or 2cm of space?)

Despite being a "93mm" boot, the STI (in the same size) is going to be lower volume and narrower in all aspects than your Redster FIS shell. Be aware of this when considering sizes and with your wide foot.
Space behind heel looks between 1 and 2cm, see photo. Good to know that the STI is already a tighter fit. Can I expect heat molding and fitting to achieve the same width outcomes with the STI shell? Can I still use my Zipfits? As I mentioned in the other thread with my wide front feet, width more than length will be the deciding factor. I can ski my Redster FIS with unbuckled and still have a decent heel hold.

Attachments

• 20210923_110847.jpg
    20210923_110847.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 90
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Space behind heel looks between 1 and 2cm, see photo. Good to know that the STI is already a tighter fit. Can I expect heat molding and fitting to achieve the same width outcomes with the STI shell? Can I still use my Zipfits? As I mentioned in the other thread with my wide front feet, width more than length will be the deciding factor. I can ski my Redster FIS with unbuckled and still have a decent heel hold.
From where I'm sitting on the internet, shell fit looks pretty good. Sure, you could go down to 23/23.5 but my gut reaction is you won't need to. Especially when you jump to the STI- it will be automatically more responsive due to its lower volume.

You'll most likely be able to achieve the same width, but the instep height will be more of a limiting factor than anything. You'll need a boot-fitter who can see your foot in the boot to properly answer that one.

As long as you stick with the same size, you'll probably be able to use your current Zip Fits. You might need to remove material from them to counter the drop in shell volume.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just FYI, ONK (onenerdykid) is the Atomic ski boot product manager, and is the best qualified person in the world to answer questions on Atomic ski boots. He is also an ex-bootfitter and very un-biased.

I can relate my experience with choosing a shell size for a new Redster Club Sport boot. Trying them on is really important. In the smaller size, I found my toes were crunched both lengthwise and width wise. I could only be in the boot for 5 minutes max. (this is without any work done on the boot). The next size up was very comfortable and my toes never touched the end of the boot. I went with the larger size as it was also snug everywhere else. I have a very responsive and comfortable pair of ski boots that I enjoy being in all day. I am also sure with a lot of toe box work I could have made the smaller size work too. I bet my toes would not be "comfortable" for all day use, though. I am not sure if the fit of the smaller boot would have made it ski any better, I am completely locked down and snug in the larger boot, so in my mind there was no need to go smaller. I probably could have set the buckles looser in the smaller size for the same degree of snugness.

In the past, when there were very few width choices, everyone went as small as possible to get a snug fit. You have a wide foot, so you need more room in the boot. MY son has a very wide foot and skis one size too large to get enough width. From what you describe, you are probably in the right shell, but if you are feeling movement, then that indicates going down a size.

I also put a pair of zipfits on and tried to get into the smaller shell size. I could not physically get my foot into the boot. The zipfit was too high volume and would have needed work to make useable. Others have described the process, and you probably have gone through it.

It may not be where you want to go, but the new Professional boot series from Atomic in 2022 might work well for you also. Since you have a zipfit, it might not be the best option. I suspect compared to your old boot, the new Atomic lineup has something that will be a big improvement and considering all your options with a good bootfitter is your best approach. Check their 2022 lineup if you haven't already (Rester Club Sport, STI, Team, and CS Professional)

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
My new STI 150 in 24.5 arrived today, beautiful glossy red boots. The fit is noticeably tighter and more precise than my old Redsters. Glad I did not size down. With the Zipfits there is not a trace of movement in the shell, yet they are wearable out of the box. Definitely will require a heat mold to accommodate my wide front foot. The power control mech at the back has just one screw, while my old Redsters have two. The STI could also accept a second screw with a minor mod, as the photo shows. Could someone explain the purpose of the second screw, and how to adjust forward lean?

Attachments

• 20211001_000256.jpg
    20211001_000256.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
The power control mech at the back has just one screw, while my old Redsters have two. The STI could also accept a second screw with a minor mod, as the photo shows. Could someone explain the purpose of the second screw, and how to adjust forward lean?
You old Redsters did not have a system to allow adjustable forward lean (just cuff rotation).

Your new Redster STIs have adjustable forward lean and for that reason the boot is delivered with only the bottom screw mounted. Once you figure out where you like the cuff positioned (loosen the bottom screw and push the cuff forward or rearward), you drill the top hole and add the second screw. Bear in mind that once you add the top screw, changing the forward lean isn't really possible. It's more of a set it and send it type of thing.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
I see, thanks for explaining. Is the second screw also required to achieve the full 150 flex or just to fixate the lean angle? What's the effect if you don't mount the top screw at all and keep lean angle adjustable ?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I see, thanks for explaining. Is the second screw also required to achieve the full 150 flex or just to fixate the lean angle? What's the effect if you don't mount the top screw at all and keep lean angle adjustable ?
On this level of boot (from any brand really), this is not really a flex adjustment. It will ever so slightly change the feel at the beginning of the flex pattern but it will not add +10 flex.

It can technically be skied without the top screw in (a lot of people don't add it) but I would suggest that you do add the second screw to ensure the cuff doesn't move/slip forward on you.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Ok that makes perfect sense. I'll play around first to find the preferred lean, then fixate. Do you know what is the lean angle of my old Redster?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Ok that makes perfect sense. I'll play around first to find the preferred lean, then fixate. Do you know what is the lean angle of my old Redster?
Both are delivered at 16° but your old Redster might feel like more because the Carbon-loaded rear spine is super, super stiff. It's about 5-6 times stiffer than the normal plastic and therefore doesn't flex rearward, which can give the impression of having more forward lean.

From a body positioning perspective, both boots should feel very similar in their "out-of-the-box" state.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
I'm really looking forward to feel how the carbon spined and spineless designs compare. What's the reason Atomic decided to drop the carbon?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I'm really looking forward to feel how the carbon spined and spineless designs compare. What's the reason Atomic decided to drop the carbon?
Chronologically speaking, the TI & STI boots came first and many athletes' boot technicians were adding layers of fiber glass to the rear spine of the cuff to stiffen that portion of the boot. We essentially built that into the first generation Redster boots with the Carbon Spine. But given changes in ski construction, radius changes, etc. it didn't end up working and racers went back to the cuff you have and continue to ski it without fiber glass.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
That's quite interesting. Could you elaborate on what adverse effects racers encountered with the carbon spine?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
That's quite interesting. Could you elaborate on what adverse effects racers encountered with the carbon spine?
The boot became too aggressive/direct for their needs. The current options offer better damping/suspension/control.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi Matt,

I found a 19/20 Redster CS 110 in 24.5. Is the shell construction the same as the 21/22 model? BTW.. waded through the Gear:30 Blister podcast. You guys went off on a few tangents but I really appreciated the deep-dive into the Atomic boot line.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hi Matt,

I found a 19/20 Redster CS 110 in 24.5. Is the shell construction the same as the 21/22 model? BTW.. waded through the Gear:30 Blister podcast. You guys went off on a few tangents but I really appreciated the deep-dive into the Atomic boot line.
Glad you enjoyed the conversation. Tangents (bonus topics) tend to happen with these ;)

On your size the boot did change - in 19/20, sizes 24 and smaller used a low cuff while sizes 25 and larger used a regular cuff (which is taller and thicker). Starting in 20/21 and continuing into 21/22, all sizes of the 110 have the regular cuff.

treehugger

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
In the womens Ultra what were the changes from 2020 to 2021? My daughter is looking for a non grip walk sole so unless I spring for new bindings I'm looking for older stock. Thanks for the great info in this thread!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
In the womens Ultra what were the changes from 2020 to 2021? My daughter is looking for a non grip walk sole so unless I spring for new bindings I'm looking for older stock. Thanks for the great info in this thread!
21/22 is an all new mold series. Same geometry, same fit but far more stable and powerful.

Any boot in the Hawx Ultra/Prime/Magna series can be set up as GripWalk or Alpine Norm ISO 5355. If they come as GripWalk, then you just need to get a set of Alpine Norm soles to work with your existing bindings. Much easier than buying new bindings or spending time trying to find an older model that won't ski as well.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Glad you enjoyed the conversation. Tangents (bonus topics) tend to happen with these ;)

On your size the boot did change - in 19/20, sizes 24 and smaller used a low cuff while sizes 25 and larger used a regular cuff (which is taller and thicker). Starting in 20/21 and continuing into 21/22, all sizes of the 110 have the regular cuff.
So how is the flex compared to the 19/20 model. Taller and thicker indicates greater leverage but stiffer, at least initially?

Sponsor

Staff online