• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
Matt - I went ahead and bought 2021-22 110s to replace my 2019-20 120s (Hawx Ultra) > the 100s have the Gripwalksole while the 120s have the WTR (I think). My head is spinning trying to figure out whether I need to have the bindings adjusted on all my skis which I was using with the 120s > ski boot guy said "Nope, they are interchangeable." Or in lieu of adjustment, can I swap the sole plates a la' this pic?
Hawx Ultra 120 v 110 Soles.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tecnica used to have the Inferno 9.3 110. It was a narrow 93 mm shell (on a 26.5), not a full bore race boot but a high level rec offering, it is a shame it was discontinued.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Matt - I went ahead and bought 2021-22 110s to replace my 2019-20 120s (Hawx Ultra) > the 100s have the Gripwalksole while the 120s have the WTR (I think). My head is spinning trying to figure out whether I need to have the bindings adjusted on all my skis which I was using with the 120s > ski boot guy said "Nope, they are interchangeable." Or in lieu of adjustment, can I swap the sole plates a la' this pic? View attachment 153614
If they are the same size boot, you can definitely swap the replaceable soles. Depending on the bindings, they may be auto adjust or might need a AFD/toe height adjustment if they are GW compatible.
What are the bindings?

Some people prefer the traditional alpine soles vs the GW versions so even if the bindings can be adjusted, you might like to stay with the old soles and swap to the new boots.

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
If they are the same size boot, you can definitely swap the replaceable soles. Depending on the bindings, they may be auto adjust or might need a AFD/toe height adjustment if they are GW compatible.
What are the bindings?

Some people prefer the traditional alpine soles vs the GW versions so even if the bindings can be adjusted, you might like to stay with the old soles and swap to the new boots.
Thanks Greg. Here are the skis/bindings I use > the red Attack 14s are GW and the next two are AT (so either sole plate should be fine?) then an Attack 13 demo (can't find any AT designation) then a Griffon and a Solly Lab 16 (both circa 2016?) > all of them have been adjusted for the 120s and both the 120s and the 110s are 26.5. I guess my question boils down to: Am I better off swiping the soles such that the 110s become "identical" to the 120s from a binding compatibility standpoint (or does it not matter as my ski boot guy said)? A related question: My real puzzlement comes from reading that the two older bindings shouldn't work with WTR sole plates (which I believe are the 120s?) but were adjusted by the shop when I bought the 120s??
binding.compat.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lab 12/16 is definitely not compatible with anything other than DIN 5355.
The green accented Griffon and the Attack 13 aren't looking that good neither when it comes to WTR/GW compatibility.

Best bet is to ask the shop to swap out the GW sole for DIN soles. We did that for two different sets of new Atomic Hawk Ultra boots this year. Should be no charge.

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
The Lab 12/16 is definitely not compatible with anything other than DIN 5355.
The green accented Griffon and the Attack 13 aren't looking that good neither when it comes to WTR/GW compatibility.

Best bet is to ask the shop to swap out the GW sole for DIN soles. We did that for two different sets of new Atomic Hawk Ultra boots this year. Should be no charge.
Thank you. And if I swap to a DIN 5355 then no adjustment necessary for the bindings that are presently adjusted to the WTR 120s?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you. And if I swap to a DIN 5355 then no adjustment necessary for the bindings that are presently adjusted to the WTR 120s?

With a DIN 5355 sole, some bindings will require adjustment, some will not.
The Lab 12/16 uses a fixed non-adjustable AFD. No work required.
The rest of the bindings have a AFD adjustment screw in the center in the front of the toe piece. The green accented Griffon has the screw behind the AFD. Don't remembered the 2015 (ish) Attack 13 demo has a adjustment screw or not.

To adjust the AFD clearance is a relatively simple procedure. With the boot in the binding. Pull back and downward on the top of the boot rear cuff. There should be a slight drag between the boot sole and the AFD when inserting/removing a 0.5 mm feeler gauge. A business card is a handy substitute.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The old Atomic hawks have regular alpine soles, not WTR so if you swap out the soles from the old to the new, you’re good to go with no adjustment.

Can order a set of new regular alpine soles if you wanted a new set of soles on the new boots-swap the old ones for now till the new ones come in.
I got a set for myself to swap out my Atomic Hawx Ultra Hawx boots soles when they wear out.

5B02EA7E-7BF2-43CA-A46E-907FD5103125.png

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While I like the GW soles on my new Ultras, I use Yak Trax on my Lange RS with solid DIN soles, which I think gives a smoother gait. The Yaks are a bit of a pain and have started to loosen up after years of use and occasionally fall off. If WTR was more like the Yaks, it's a shame it didn't survive.

sullywhacker

Booting up
Skier
The old Atomic hawks have regular alpine soles, not WTR so if you swap out the soles from the old to the new, you’re good to go with no adjustment.

Can order a set of new regular alpine soles if you wanted a new set of soles on the new boots-swap the old ones for now till the new ones come in.
I got a set for myself to swap out my Atomic Hawx Ultra Hawx boots soles when they wear out.

View attachment 153623
Ahh thanks. I'm obviously slow on the uptake but it sounds like my veering off into this bramble bush was caused by my erroneous thinking that my 120s were WTR > I will swap out the 110 soles for the 120s and use them in the interim while I order the 5355s you suggested. Thank so much for sticking with me here!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@onenerdykid trying to find a pair of redster club sport 110 for gf, which is surprisingly hard track down, none of my usual dealers or race dealers or even pro center has them, but just found one locally which is a 2018 model, are they same as 2022? ish except liners?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid trying to find a pair of redster club sport 110 for gf, which is surprisingly hard track down, none of my usual dealers or race dealers or even pro center has them, but just found one locally which is a 2018 model, are they same as 2022? ish except liners?
What mondopoint size is she looking at? Before the 21/22 season, sizes 21-24 used the low cuff and larger sizes used the regular cuff. Starting with the 21/22 season, all sizes use the regular cuff.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
thank you sir, guessing liner difference is the new one can be molded multiple times vs only a few for old?

can you do the pro injectionliner on the 110 CS or will it be too stiff for her?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
thank you sir, guessing liner difference is the new one can be molded multiple times vs only a few for old?

can you do the pro injectionliner on the 110 CS or will it be too stiff for her?
The 21/22 liner has Mimic material in it, old one doesn't.

And you can definitely do a Mimic Professional liner in it too. Shouldn't be too stiff for her at all (as long as the boot is the right flex to begin with).

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you!

just spoke with the atomic pro center, they have all the liners pro liners in the sizes we need, and boots in stock as it turns out! so booking an appointment there!

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Onkid, how do you see these fit wise compared to the tecnica Cochise line? Non xtd compared to Mach 1? For guys whose feet love tecnica products?

I will be in the boot market next year and love what I’m reading on The Hawx lineup but want to make sure my foot type would even be compatible

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Onkid, how do you see these fit wise compared to the tecnica Cochise line? Non xtd compared to Mach 1? For guys whose feet love tecnica products?

I will be in the boot market next year and love what I’m reading on The Hawx lineup but want to make sure my foot type would even be compatible
Yes, the Atomics fit better ;)

but seriously, Hawx Ultra XTD is lower volume than the Cochise, the Prime XTD is more similar to the Cochise.

Hawx Ultra is analogous to Mach1 LV, Hawx Prime to Mach1 MV, Hawx Magna to Mach1 HV (the last one not so much as the Mach1 HV doesn’t use a high volume cuff but a medium volume cuff- their boot isn’t really “HV”).

As for our boots fitting you, I can’t say. But the Hawx options you are most likely looking at will have heat moldable shells, liners with higher customization potential, adjustable geometry, and sole canting. Lots of ways to adapt the fit to your needs.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, the Atomics fit better ;)

but seriously, Hawx Ultra XTD is lower volume than the Cochise, the Prime XTD is more similar to the Cochise.

Hawx Ultra is analogous to Mach1 LV, Hawx Prime to Mach1 MV, Hawx Magna to Mach1 HV (the last one not so much as the Mach1 HV doesn’t use a high volume cuff but a medium volume cuff- their boot isn’t really “HV”).

As for our boots fitting you, I can’t say. But the Hawx options you are most likely looking at will have heat moldable shells, liners with higher customization potential, adjustable geometry, and sole canting. Lots of ways to adapt the fit to your needs.
I have a question about a local bootfitter/shop and would like to PM you on your opinion on the fitter. Is that ok?

Sponsor