• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
@onenerdykid Sorry if it's been asked already (couldn't find it searching)... does heat molding the Redster CS shell also adjust alignment similar to the Salomon shell heat process?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid Sorry if it's been asked already (couldn't find it searching)... does heat molding the Redster CS shell also adjust alignment similar to the Salomon shell heat process?
You want to adjust cuff alignment before heat molding whenever possible. The reason Salomon has said heat molding does the cuff alignment is because they didn’t have actual cuff alignment hardware in their boots.

Adjust cuff alignment through actual cuff alignment hardware. Expand the fit of the shell & cuff through Memory Fit.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
@onenerdykid First, let me say that there are no great boot fitters in St. Louis Mo. I had a quick try on of the Hawx Prime 110 in 27.5 to determine length and width issues and it felt great on my right foot. It's the right length, and it was snug without being uncomfortable. The left foot, however, feels very tight on the top of my foot right where it turns up into the ankle. I would not call it pain, but it's uncomfortable, and I question how long I can wear it. I'd say my left foot feels just a bit more snug at the top of the foot, but the fit and length is fine elsewhere. It's better standing up, and it's really fine when leaning forward, but sitting down while trying to break it in, well, it's uncomfortable. This is my first pair of good, non rental boots, so I was trying to take the advice of not getting a boot that was too big. I skied a 28.5 wide last this winter and I was swimming. I have not had the boot heat fitted yet.

My question, really, is this something that can be fixed with heat fitting, with a real boot fitter (I'd have go to Kansas City to find a good one, likely), or just with a normal break in process. I would really hate to go up into a 28.5 or the Magna, as the right foot really feels perfect.

Thanks for your help, and I also wanted to say I really loved the boot deep dive series you did on Gear:30. Fantastic stuff.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am not ONK. but I quoted the important part of your post. You need a real boot fitter. Do not upsize till you see a real boot fitter (not a boot reseller).
I expect that's the right answer. I just wanted to be sure that was a spot that could be influenced by a boot adjustment. Did not know if the tongue area could be changed.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@DerKomisar if the right and left boots fit THAT differently, you need a damn good bootfitter.

No way to shortcut things, if that's the case.

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
first, everyone’s comment about seeing a good boot fitter is 100% correct. That said there is a foot scanner app that is very easy to use, GregL has a thread going on TGR….check it out. Greg has given me sound advice in the past.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
first, everyone’s comment about seeing a good boot fitter is 100% correct. That said there is a foot scanner app that is very easy to use, GregL has a thread going on TGR….check it out. Greg has given me sound advice in the past.

i found and used the app- was not sure people took it seriously here. I’be done it three times and gotten slightly different results each time, but the latest are (R): length 27.1, width 10.2 heel W 7.1, instep 7.5 And (L): length 26.6 width 10.4, heel 6.7 and instep 7.9. Evo used it to size me into a 27.5 mondo, which I think it right. But maybe I overlooked that my left foot should be in a wide boot?

I’ll go through that thread today and maybe post over there. Also- I tried the left boot on again tonight after leaving it unbuckled all day and it felt better. I’ve had it on for about a total of 45 minutes now across three attempts. Maybe it‘a getting better?

Last edited:

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
i found and used the app- was not sure people took it seriously here. I’be done it three times and gotten slightly different results each time, but the latest are (R): length 27.1, width 10.2 heel W 7.1, instep 7.5 And (L): length 26.6 width 10.4, heel 6.7 and instep 7.9. Evo used it to size me into a 27.5 mondo, which I think it right. But maybe I overlooked that my left foot should be in a wide boot?

I’ll go through that thread today and maybe post over there. Also- I tried the left boot on again tonight after leaving it unbuckled all day and it felt better. I’ve had it on for about a total of 45 minutes now across three attempts. Maybe it‘a getting better?
I have a high instep and ski in low volume boots. sanding down the footboard a mm or two has made a big difference for me in the past. Also most liner tongues have a considerable amount of plastic over the instep that can also be sanded down to make more room for a tight instep.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a high instep and ski in low volume boots. sanding down the footboard a mm or two has made a big difference for me in the past. Also most liner tongues have a considerable amount of plastic over the instep that can also be sanded down to make more room for a tight instep.
Good to know- thanks for the insight. Depending on how I adjust the tongue I can relieve some of the pressure, so I was hoping something small could be done there, but lowering the footbed would make sense too. I know I don't need room in any other direction, so I think a wider or a longer boot would just add space that I don't need in other places. If you know, what is considered a high instep? I do use currex runpro medium profile insoles in my running shoes and find that they really help with arch support, but I was not thinking of myself as a high instep.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks- my bad. I'm still learning all the correct terms and I appreciate the feedback. The footbed is the removable insert, correct? And then the footboard is under that, part of the shell?

The footbed is usually under your feet inside the liner.
The so called footboard is more commonly called boot board. It is generally outside and under the boot liner. Some are secured to the shell but more are just drop in.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
The footbed is usually under your feet inside the liner.
The so called footboard is more commonly called boot board. It is generally outside and under the boot liner. Some are secured to the shell but more are just drop in.
I just checked that out- mine is drop in. I do think thinning that out could help.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I just checked that out- mine is drop in. I do think thinning that out could help.
As @KingGrump mentioned the board is in the shell, I know @pliny the elder wrote about Zappa angles by planing the boot board (foot board). I only mention this as you need to be careful to not change the ramp angle by planing/sanding/grinding too much toe/heel etc..

SkiNHut

Booting up
Skier
I am a long time Hawx user, recently got the new Atomic Hawx 110 XTD GW and all was going well until recent spring skiing conditions I noticed significant thigh burn on flat runs.

This never happened to me in my old Hawx. I am wondering if this is some combination of conditions, poor technique, stiffer boots, and/or slightly higher ramp angle due to the grip walk sole?

Some articles I have read generally point to “back seat” skiing causing thigh burn and recommend a more upright stance and ankle flexion. Having skied for over 10 years in both a 90 and 100 Hawx without any issue I wonder whether my newer boots are less forgiving and forcing me to have better form especially in the softer conditions?

Given this past weekend was my last day out I probably won’t know for sure until next season but wanted to think about possible solutions. Appreciate any thoughts/advice.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I am a long time Hawx user, recently got the new Atomic Hawx 110 XTD GW and all was going well until recent spring skiing conditions I noticed significant thigh burn on flat runs.

This never happened to me in my old Hawx. I am wondering if this is some combination of conditions, poor technique, stiffer boots, and/or slightly higher ramp angle due to the grip walk sole?

Some articles I have read generally point to “back seat” skiing causing thigh burn and recommend a more upright stance and ankle flexion. Having skied for over 10 years in both a 90 and 100 Hawx without any issue I wonder whether my newer boots are less forgiving and forcing me to have better form especially in the softer conditions?

Given this past weekend was my last day out I probably won’t know for sure until next season but wanted to think about possible solutions. Appreciate any thoughts/advice.
Could be related to more effective forward lean. The ski/walk mechanism on Hawx XTD boots is really robust and doesn't allow the cuff to flex all that much. Might be worth visiting your boot fitter and having him/her adjust that for you.