• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@onenerdykid - Maybe this question has been asked already but I was just wondering if there was any plans to do a Magna XTD at some point? At times it seems like those with wider feet are left out of the hybrid/touring market.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hopefully soon I'll be able to update this thread with my experiences with my new Atomic boots (ski season just started here in NZ!) - sadly they still haven't arrived into the country, it turns out that Atomic doesn't do manufacturing runs very often for the smallest sizes of some of their boots :') (maybe especially with all the global material shortages?)

As per my bootfitter at the start of June: "They are only in production now, these smaller sizes are always left to last. This is the first production run of this model and size since we placed the order back in September."

At any rate, it means I've started the season on my old Hawx boots, so I'll be able to compare the new and old boots pretty directly, after a few weeks skiing on the old boots first. :)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should have your ski legs back right around the time the new boots arrive. Hope they fit to your liking.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
The red has arrived!

1658828556454.png

1658828575026.png

I'll ski them for the first time in a few days, on the weekend. @onenerdykid can probably easily identify them on sight especially with the liners clearly visible :)

I was a bit apprehensive trying them on but the fit is actually very good. The heel pocket is fantastic! I hung out for a while in the shop in the the boots (and stock liners) and we just ended up expanding the area around the naviculars a small amount - no other fit work for now, I'll ski them and see how they go. I was pretty comfortable standing around in them. My footbeds needed some slimming down to fit in those shells though, wow :D They got trimmed around the edges a bit.

The plastic feels very solid compared to my old Hawx, I'm excited to see how they ski.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just made the move from Lange to Atomic, landing in the Redster TI 130. Had Bob Olsen do the fitting in Govy earlier this week - consummate pro, highly recommended.

I tell fitters that my feet were shaped by plug boots and that's not far off the mark. Needed a little grinding to accommodate my "seventh toe" bunions and a slight bit of canting but other customization needed was minimal. They fit great and should work well for my coaching and skiing needs.

68057412821--E13C875D-F3D8-4B6C-8577-DF5CE4DCCBF4.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I expect you will really like them. Compared to Lange RS boots they will be a big step up in precision. I have never been in Lange plug boots, although I have the narrow feet for them. What Lange were you in?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was in a ZA plug, then an a RS140 after #projectfemur and #hip2point0 to give my older, coach-oriented feet a break. The RS140s are the ones just replaced - it was time. Before that, FWIW, I was in other Lange plugs and the Nordica Grand Prix (back when it was only available as a plug boot, before it returned to retail channels).

I'm sure it'll work well. Most plugs work well for me. But even the RS140s worked well because they were dialed in. It was simply time to replace.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Just made the move from Lange to Atomic, landing in the Redster TI 130. Had Bob Olsen do the fitting in Govy earlier this week - consummate pro, highly recommended.

I tell fitters that my feet were shaped by plug boots and that's not far off the mark. Needed a little grinding to accommodate my "seventh toe" bunions and a slight bit of canting but other customization needed was minimal. They fit great and should work well for my coaching and skiing needs.

View attachment 174359
Nice choice!!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had Bob Olsen do the fitting in Govy earlier this week - consummate pro, highly recommended.

Bob is truly The Bomb. I really miss having him in my back yard!

Alpine Racing Center in the small community of Mt. Hood during the "real" ski season.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
I am at 27 mondo, 106 last, and big calfs. I need a high volume stiff boots, will atomic build something for the strong folks?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I am at 27 mondo, 106 last, and big calfs. I need a high volume stiff boots, will atomic build something for the strong folks?
Hawx Magna 130 S would be a good starting point. Full PU boot, all the same adjustments and technology as the rest of the Hawx range, just built around a high volume foot shape.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
What's up with the atomic boot website? The old page that described all their products is gone, replaced by an incomplete listing of individual boots. Is the old site returning with new product soon?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
What's up with the atomic boot website? The old page that described all their products is gone, replaced by an incomplete listing of individual boots. Is the old site returning with new product soon?
All new website is currently in the works and will fully launch late summer/early autumn.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
any of the 23 avail at my pro center you thiiiink? been moving so havent been able to hang much there lately

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
The red has arrived!

View attachment 174083

View attachment 174084

I'll ski them for the first time in a few days, on the weekend. @onenerdykid can probably easily identify them on sight especially with the liners clearly visible :)

I was a bit apprehensive trying them on but the fit is actually very good. The heel pocket is fantastic! I hung out for a while in the shop in the the boots (and stock liners) and we just ended up expanding the area around the naviculars a small amount - no other fit work for now, I'll ski them and see how they go. I was pretty comfortable standing around in them. My footbeds needed some slimming down to fit in those shells though, wow :D They got trimmed around the edges a bit.

The plastic feels very solid compared to my old Hawx, I'm excited to see how they ski.
Have had a couple of days (well, half-days) skiing on them, and they're great! I'd also had some sole canting work done on one side and I could feel the difference in that right away as well (in fact my fitter has a little Atomic kit to work out the sole canting required, quite neat). The fit is good while skiing (had minimal shell work done) and the flex feels fine. They feel rather different to my old Hawx.

I wasn't totally sure about the lurid red before I actually got them, but I'm in love with them now, haha!

1659399024271.png

(cheers to my bootfitter Ally at Gnomes, New Zealand! he had to make an educated guess about what sub-98mm boots would fit my feet without being able to try any on, and picked these)