• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Can I use the mimic xtd liner in an older ultra boots? I feel the normal ultra is still stiffer and better for icy east coast, but I love the new liner
As others have said, this will work. The Mimic liner for the regular Hawx Ultra has the same fit as the Mimic liner for the Ultra XTD - the only difference is the flex zone in the back of the XTD. So, there is no issue using the XTD version of the liner in the regular shell.

richddt

Booting up
Skier
I am not clear on the context of your post (do you have an XTD mimic liner and want to use it in an Ultra boot?), but I bought a set of mimic liners this year to put in my XTD's and I love them. The XTD mimic and the non-XTD (just ultra) mimic liner are the same except the XTD has a flex zone above the heel in the back and the std does not. They would fit and work the same except the std would not be as flexible in the XTD boot. Hope that helps. You can go online to the Atomic website and I think go to ski boots and then spare parts and you can see a pic of each.

thanks Scott B and nerdyone yes, I have the 2021 xtd with mimic liners, and want to use the same linright in the 19 hawx ultra in groomer and icy days, one liners two shell

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
@onenerdykid What are are the differences between the Hawx Ultra 130 and the Club Sport 130 (beyond the slightly narrower last)? I'm in the original version of the Hawx Ultra 130, and the liner has started to pack out (and of course, the boot remains a bear to put on in a cold parking lot). Thanks in advance.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid What are are the differences between the Hawx Ultra 130 and the Club Sport 130 (beyond the slightly narrower last)? I'm in the original version of the Hawx Ultra 130, and the liner has started to pack out (and of course, the boot remains a bear to put on in a cold parking lot). Thanks in advance.
It's probably easier to list the few similarities rather than the list of differences :)

Club Sport boots evolved from World Cup race boots. The plastic is thicker, there is more forward lean, the cuff is slightly lower (Ultra has the highest cuff on the market), the internal last runs straight down the ski (it is not abducted), the liner is a little less cushiony & more of a firmer handshake, and the boot does not come with replaceable soles (those need to be added if wanted).

Hawx Ultra evolved from our 100mm Hawx Prime all mountain boot. The plastic is thinner & lighter, there is less forward lean (but it can be adjusted to arrive at a similar angle to Redster), the internal last is ever-so-slightly abducted from the heel so it stands more like how you stand (a couple of mm in size 26, and you probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't say anything), the liner is a little more cushiony & less firm, and the boot comes with replaceable soles.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
the cuff is slightly lower (Ultra has the highest cuff on the market),

Why does a race boot have a lower cuff than an all mountain boot? Not judging, just curious. Racers have bigger calf muscles?? I ski a lot, but find my calf muscles either ain't huge enough or they are too high and very rarely do I fill in the cuff of a boot.

there is less forward lean (but it can be adjusted to arrive at a similar angle to Redster),

That similar lean can achieved via the "Power Shift"?

I doubt I can swing the $$ for two pairs of boots next season and I need to get a new pair of 'touring boots' so I'm pretty set on trying(with the fitter) the Hawx xtd 130's to complement my Raptors for next season, but I'm always thinking about the next-next pair of boots....

I have notoriously skinny heels, not crazy high but Sensitive mid-high insteps. Do the Hawx Ultra and Redster have different heel pocket sizes/fits. I assumed the Redster heel pocket would be tighter just because the last is skinnier? The Redster clubsport in 26.5 has a 96mm last, while the Hawx Ultra 26.5 has a 98mm last. But I do like a boot with a taller cuff(sounds like Hawx wins there). Although the lighter boot does concern me abit. That slightly cushiony liner of the Hawx doesn't sound horrible and I wouldn't mind a warmer boot also! While my local Atomic shop is planning on doing the Pro line of Hawx next season they aren't planning on bringing any Redsters in, but would happily order me a pair. I've NEVER ordered boots, that I wasn't able to try on at least something in that product line, so that's a whole different issue to wrap my head around. decisions...

Thanks again!
-Chris

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Why does a race boot have a lower cuff than an all mountain boot? Not judging, just curious. Racers have bigger calf muscles?? I ski a lot, but find my calf muscles either ain't huge enough or they are too high and very rarely do I fill in the cuff of a boot.

That similar lean can achieved via the "Power Shift"?

I doubt I can swing the $$ for two pairs of boots next season and I need to get a new pair of 'touring boots' so I'm pretty set on trying(with the fitter) the Hawx xtd 130's to complement my Raptors for next season, but I'm always thinking about the next-next pair of boots....

I have notoriously skinny heels, not crazy high but Sensitive mid-high insteps. Do the Hawx Ultra and Redster have different heel pocket sizes/fits. I assumed the Redster heel pocket would be tighter just because the last is skinnier? The Redster clubsport in 26.5 has a 96mm last, while the Hawx Ultra 26.5 has a 98mm last. But I do like a boot with a taller cuff(sounds like Hawx wins there). Although the lighter boot does concern me abit. That slightly cushiony liner of the Hawx doesn't sound horrible and I wouldn't mind a warmer boot also! While my local Atomic shop is planning on doing the Pro line of Hawx next season they aren't planning on bringing any Redsters in, but would happily order me a pair. I've NEVER ordered boots, that I wasn't able to try on at least something in that product line, so that's a whole different issue to wrap my head around. decisions...

Thanks again!
-Chris

Redster CS forward lean can be set to 16° or 18° and cuff spoilers add more. Hawx forward lean can be set at 13° or 15° or 17° and cuff spoilers add more.

Every dimension of the CS last is lower/tighter than the Hawx Ultra, but it's very easy to make a CS fit you if an Ultra fits you (I just needed some grinding at the navicular and a big toe punch. I probably didn't need the toe punch but more toe room is a plus in my opinion). And with the Mimic Professional liner, you can get different tongue thickness to solve your instep woes.

I would try on a regular Hawx Ultra 130 and get a feel for it. If it jives with you, then the Professional version will be even sweeter and going with the CS 130 Professional won't be a gamble in the least. I wouldn't have any reservations about a CS 130 provided the Ultra was already working for you. But, try on a Hawx Ultra 130 first and go from there.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

Forgot that part. Redster boots are built solely on what the racers like and this is what the racers like. And when I say the Redster cuff is lower, it's only in relation to Hawx Ultra. It's on par/within a couple mm of Lange RS, Head Raptor, etc.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hawx Ultra evolved from our 100mm Hawx Prime all mountain boot. The plastic is thinner & lighter, there is less forward lean (but it can be adjusted to arrive at a similar angle to Redster), the internal last is ever-so-slightly abducted from the heel so it stands more like how you stand (a couple of mm in size 26, and you probably wouldn't notice it if I didn't say anything), the liner is a little more cushiony & less firm, and the boot comes with replaceable soles.

Is this abduction similar to the old Fischer Soma thingamajig?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
There's an interesting threshold there - the fine line between "I can change this through training" and "This is clearly the boot's job"
At a certain level, with timed comparisons when A/B-ing equipment, it's hard to argue with the athlete when they say a certain boot or setup is faster than another one.

Is this abduction similar to the old Fischer Soma thingamajig?
Fischer's SomaTec has the last abducted from the midfoot, whereas our last is abducted from the heel. Take a pen and pivot the pen from the middle and then from the end. Doing from the middle results in a more aggressive/obvious way, whereas doing it from the end is more subtle & less aggressive.

Cuff height—I’m tall and skinny. I’ve always wished for a taller cuff on my tech race boots. Why the taller cuff on the Hawx?
Going too low is a problem, going too high is a problem. We wanted to have a cuff height that was still in the "green zone" but on the higher side of that zone. Feels good, feels comfortable but without causing issues. Redster height is the height it is because that's what the racers like and don't want anything higher (for the moment).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Fischer's SomaTec has the last abducted from the midfoot, whereas our last is abducted from the heel. Take a pen and pivot the pen from the middle and then from the end. Doing from the middle results in a more aggressive/obvious way, whereas doing it from the end is more subtle & less aggressive.

We saw a similar pivot point difference back in the (pre-historic now) Tritech 11.50/10.50 era, when the Fischers had 9000/8000 numbers, no?

Snowrider2U

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey!

I'm planning on buying a pair of Redster Team Issue boots, but I'm not sure whether to choose the 130 or the 150. Could you give me some advice on which one to get?

Some background info which might help: I'm 21, around 180cm, 70kg and have been racing once a week for 10 years now (mostly in Snowworld in the Netherlands and on average 2-3 weeks in Austria). I stopped doing races a long time ago but kept training for the fun. I'll be using them mostly in the slalom, but they should be comfortable enough to use on a normal day skiing day in the alpes. I'm a fairly aggressive skier, but I'm not the strongest. I'm almost always skiing on a pair of Redster Fis S9's.

Hopes this helps!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hey!

I'm planning on buying a pair of Redster Team Issue boots, but I'm not sure whether to choose the 130 or the 150. Could you give me some advice on which one to get?

Some background info which might help: I'm 21, around 180cm, 70kg and have been racing once a week for 10 years now (mostly in Snowworld in the Netherlands and on average 2-3 weeks in Austria). I stopped doing races a long time ago but kept training for the fun. I'll be using them mostly in the slalom, but they should be comfortable enough to use on a normal day skiing day in the alpes. I'm a fairly aggressive skier, but I'm not the strongest. I'm almost always skiing on a pair of Redster Fis S9's.

Hopes this helps!
Telling you if a flex is right for you without seeing you flex the boot is impossible. This is something you will need to work with your boot-fitter on.

Have you ever skied a World Cup-level ski boot before? What boot are you coming from?

Snowrider2U

Skier
Telling you if a flex is right for you without seeing you flex the boot is impossible. This is something you will need to work with your boot-fitter on.

Have you ever skied a World Cup-level ski boot before? What boot are you coming from?
My previous boots were a pair Head Raptor 115 Rs, but I bought them when I was 16 and because they were the only pair my parents could afford at that moment. I feel like they are way too flexible now I'm stronger and heavier.

I'll go to the Atomic store in Amersfoort and ask them, thanks!

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
My previous boots were a pair Head Raptor 115 Rs, but I bought them when I was 16 and because they were the only pair my parents could afford at that moment. I feel like they are way too flexible now I'm stronger and heavier.

I'll go to the Atomic store in Amersfoort and ask them, thanks!
A Redster TI 130 is a very substantial boot - far stiffer than any "normal" 130. You should start here and see how it feels :beercheer:

Snowrider2U

Skier
Thanks, I'll start there :).

On a side note, I was looking through your catalog and noticed you sell lifter plates. If I were to install the 3mm ones on my shoes, would they need to be grinded to iso spec? The only reason I want the plates are to protect the shoe from damage when walking, since you can replace the plates when worn.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January