• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hi Everyone, I figured I would create a thread where you can drop any questions you may have about Atomic alpine & touring boots and I will do my best to address them. I just made a thread for our new Atomic Professional Series, but this will serve as something more general.

I hope you find it helpful and look forward to helping out!

I'll start with a bit of the hype train for the new 21/22 Hawx Ultra 130 S

Hawx Ultra Key Visual.jpg

Last edited:

erdz

Booting up
Skier
Hi Everyone, I figured I would create a thread where you can drop any questions you may have about Atomic alpine & touring boots and I will do my best to address them. I just made a thread for our new Atomic Professional Series, but this will serve as something more general.

I hope you find it helpful and look forward to helping out!

Cheers
Matt
Are the new 3 thickness tongues the same for the entire range of Professional series boots? (Ultra, Prime. Club Sport, STI)

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Are the new 3 thickness tongues the same for the entire range of Professional series boots? (Ultra, Prime. Club Sport, STI)
Yes, the same V3 Tongue System. Boots & liners come with one tongue and the other two volumes are available aftermarket if needed.

Hawx boots/liners come standard with the Medium Volume Fit (MV) tongue and Redster boots/liners come with the Higher Volume Fit (HV) tongue.

The HV tongues are 3mm thinner top to bottom than the MV tongues, but use a denser/firmer foam construction. This thinner construction is what our World Cup racers prefer to have and why they come stock in the Redster family.

The LV tongues are 3mm thicker over the instep & throat areas vs. the MV tongues. This thicker construction is a great way to decrease volume if needed.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ooo, a pic of my next boots.

I'm assuming that the red color will be good for at least a slight increase in speed and ability!

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Kid,
I'm skiing in ten year old Atomic B Tech 120 HVL shells with Intuition liners.
This setup is getting long in the tooth but, after a lot of work, they fit and ski well.
I have very wide feet but a narrow heel and need a relatively short cuff with my 28" inseam.
Both shells required a big medial navicular punch and some toe box work to accommodate my feet.
The boots have been planed and plated for alignment.
What boot would you recommend in the 120-130 stiffness range that would work with my weird duck feet?
Thanks....

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Kid,
I'm skiing in ten year old Atomic B Tech 120 HVL shells with Intuition liners.
This setup is getting long in the tooth but, after a lot of work, they fit and ski well.
I have very wide feet but a narrow heel and need a relatively short cuff with my 28" inseam.
Both shells required a big medial navicular punch and some toe box work to accommodate my feet.
The boots have been planed and plated for alignment.
What boot would you recommend in the 120-130 stiffness range that would work with my weird duck feet?
Thanks....
I would start with a Hawx Prime 130 S or Hawx Magna 130 S and see which one of those was a better starting point for your foot. Both are made with high end PU plastics and can be molded to your feet in the hands of a competent boot-fitter.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nerdy Overkill Question: How tight should the cuff pivot bolts be on my Ultra XTD 130s? Three of them pivot with what feels like the appropriate level of a little bit of friction. The fourth pivots much more easily than that.

It's tough to check, since the inner "bolt" head is very thin, so a regular socket doesn't really get purchase on it. I suppose I could grind the lead-in chamfer off a socket, but thought I would check with the expert first.

I admit to being a bit OCD about this. An old pair of Fischer boots that I loved constantly came loose in this area -- despite every trick in the book I could throw at it -- so I tend to check it a lot.

Second question: How many cuff bolts get stripped by people trying to tighten the torx head fittingf with a hex head wrench?!

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Nerdy Overkill Question: How tight should the cuff pivot bolts be on my Ultra XTD 130s? Three of them pivot with what feels like the appropriate level of a little bit of friction. The fourth pivots much more easily than that.

I have a mental image of you skinning in circles...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How come men's Ultras are so good looking and girls' ones come in such dull colours? My wife is due for new pair of boots next season which I will make sure are as customized as they can get but she'd rather be dead than seen in black/gray boots.
You might wanna think about that.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

It's tough to check, since the inner "bolt" head is very thin, so a regular socket doesn't really get purchase on it. I suppose I could grind the lead-in chamfer off a socket, but thought I would check with the expert first.

I admit to being a bit OCD about this. An old pair of Fischer boots that I loved constantly came loose in this area -- despite every trick in the book I could throw at it -- so I tend to check it a lot.

Second question: How many cuff bolts get stripped by people trying to tighten the torx head fittingf with a hex head wrench?!
You will need a thin-wall socket to fit on the inner nut. Then you'll be able to snug it up nicely.

Everything should just be Torx and the world would be a better place ;)

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
How come men's Ultras are so good looking and girls' ones come in such dull colours? My wife is due for new pair of boots next season which I will make sure are as customized as they can get but she'd rather be dead than seen in black/gray boots.
You might wanna think about that.
Selecting colors is definitely my least favorite part of the job. No matter what I do, someone hates it haha. But I will say that black boots are by FAR better sellers for women than other colors. That will be tough to change. What would she like to see?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What would she like to see?

White or light grey would be nice. Honestly, this particular girl would love turquoise but I dare not ask for it. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Sigh....well, perhaps I can use some solid technical arguments to sway her towards the Ultra. This approach did not work the last eleventy gazillion times but who knows, I might be lucky this time.:ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EDIT: I just realized that I have only been looking at the 115 SW but it turns out the 95 SW do come in just the colours we need/want-one grey and one white. Can the new Professional liners be fitted into these shells? 95 will be even better than 115 because at 150 cm and 43 kg how aggressively can one ski really?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
EDIT: I just realized that I have only been looking at the 115 SW but it turns out the 95 SW do come in just the colours we need/want-one grey and one white. Can the new Professional liners be fitted into these shells? 95 will be even better than 115 because at 150 cm and 43 kg how aggressively can one ski really?
A turquoise 115 might be difficult to get through ;) But, as you noted we have other colors lower down. And this is exactly what I did for my girlfriend too. Got her an 85 shell and a Professional liner and she is over the moon.

Sponsor

Staff online