• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Atomic Ski Boot Discussion

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
Two questions regarding the Hawx Prime and specifically the 120.

How is the heel pocket in this boot in this boot? While my feet aren't flippers I tend to fit better in medium volume boots due to forefoot width and height, but my heel is on the smaller side. I am currently in a pair of K2 Recon 120s, and I have had to add foam to the heel pocket to get a somewhat secure feel in the heel.

What is the BSL on a 25/25.5 shell? I believe that I heard on one of the Blister Podcasts in the past couple of years that the inside of the length had extended while keeping the BSL that same. Am I recalling that correctly?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mr. Onenerdykid sir, first of all, thanks for providing more information on here than I've got out of direct mails to companies. On that note, I would like to ask you a race boot question if you don't mind. I'm at the point where an obvious weak spot between ice, a slalom ski and my 90 kilos is a non-plug boot. The issue though is length. With grinding and pushing, I get in a 30.5 recreational race boot. I asked my fitter about downsizing to open up the plug lines, but he was very doubtful given the amount of work we have to do on the size I'm already in. Is there any solution that is not commonly stocked but held back for rare cases, or is it just a case of tough luck and making do with a softer boot?
Many thanks.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Two questions regarding the Hawx Prime and specifically the 120.

How is the heel pocket in this boot in this boot? While my feet aren't flippers I tend to fit better in medium volume boots due to forefoot width and height, but my heel is on the smaller side. I am currently in a pair of K2 Recon 120s, and I have had to add foam to the heel pocket to get a somewhat secure feel in the heel.

What is the BSL on a 25/25.5 shell? I believe that I heard on one of the Blister Podcasts in the past couple of years that the inside of the length had extended while keeping the BSL that same. Am I recalling that correctly?
It's a lovely heel pocket ;) In all honesty, it's probably tighter than the Recon but it's hard to say because there are no straight lines on a ski boot that you can measure and say "oh yeah, this one is larger or smaller than that one" and liners have a huge impact/influence on that as well. You'll need to have your boot-fitter open the shell up, put your foot in it and compare that way.

In a 25/25.5, you'll have a 98mm last width and a BSL of 295mm. And yes, the last of the current Hawx Prime got slightly lengthened vs. the previous generation while keeping the BSL the same.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Mr. Onenerdykid sir, first of all, thanks for providing more information on here than I've got out of direct mails to companies. On that note, I would like to ask you a race boot question if you don't mind. I'm at the point where an obvious weak spot between ice, a slalom ski and my 90 kilos is a non-plug boot. The issue though is length. With grinding and pushing, I get in a 30.5 recreational race boot. I asked my fitter about downsizing to open up the plug lines, but he was very doubtful given the amount of work we have to do on the size I'm already in. Is there any solution that is not commonly stocked but held back for rare cases, or is it just a case of tough luck and making do with a softer boot?
Many thanks.
Hi Zirbl, 30/30.5 is a tough spot for a guy like yourself to be in as most brands (including Atomic) don't make a World Cup or a recreational race boot in that size. Even on the actual World Cup, I don't think we have anyone skiing a size 29/29.5 shell (and very few ski a 28/28.5). So unfortunately even the 29/29.5 is a bit of a bonus offering. I think if you found a 30/30.5 that fits you but it a little soft for your needs, then it might be the best case scenario for you (unfortunately).

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Many thanks.
At 6'6" and 225 lb I ski in 30.5 Hawx Ultras and Lange RS 130. The Hawx was thermomolded to my feet this year. The RS took a lot of work to open up for my right toes with just one small punch for the left. Apparently you can "stiffen" a boot using an upgraded lace up liner. I use an Intuition that is on the softer side, but the RS feels stiffer than the Hawx.

anim

Booting up
Skier
Many thanks.
We should probably start a crowd funding campaign for some brand to produce a run of bigger race shells and buy enough at one go to last the next twenty years

I’m 196 cm/86 kg/US14 shoe and have squeezed myself in size 29 Atomic FIS130 shell (the carbon spine one). It took four winters of punching, grinding and ripping liner toe seams to make it ski ok, but I’m happy it worked out. Length wise the biggest limit seems to be the clearance with binding toe piece.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks a bunch for the swift responses everyone. Particularly if Anim's 29 is at the limit, it does indeed sound like I've just got to get on with it. My bootfitter's main concern was also interference with the binding toe piece.
Thanks Marker for the direct comparison Lange RS vs. Hawx Ultra. Had the latter suggested to me a couple of times as an alternative to the former, very useful info.

HootSki

Booting up
Skier
So I just started a masters race program and wanted to try a little stiffer boot than my Head Raptor 140 RS for racing. I found a new 2020 World Cup 150 in the 25.5 size I needed at a killer price. My Raptors are the same size which required a punch but what shocks me is that I have skied these WC 150s 1 day and can't believe I can ski these off the shelf with no boot work needed!

Then after I got the WC 150s, I came across another killer deal on some new 2020 Club Sport 130s so I bought those too. The CS 130s are a 25.5 size too but what is surprising is that they feel tighter than the WC 150s. In fact my feet were numb most of the day in the CS 130s and I had to remove them a couple times throughout the day to get the circulation going again (which is what I usually expect on a new boot day based off my previous boots). I know the CS 130s will be fine after another day or two on the slopes but I was just surprised that I had less pain with the WC 150s then the CS 130s off the shelf!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the same experience as you between the WC 130 and the Club Sport 130 when trying them on in the store. I had both on my feet for 30 minutes or so. The liner is a lot higher volume in the CS 130. I found it more comfortable in the CS 130. The liner will pack out a bit as you know, I heat molded mine at the shop on the pair I bought. My CS's weren't too tight, but I could use the buckles to "over tighten" and make my feet numb.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks a bunch for the swift responses everyone. Particularly if Anim's 29 is at the limit, it does indeed sound like I've just got to get on with it. My bootfitter's main concern was also interference with the binding toe piece.
Thanks Marker for the direct comparison Lange RS vs. Hawx Ultra. Had the latter suggested to me a couple of times as an alternative to the former, very useful info.
@ScottB put the Atomic thought in my head with his talk about the CS 130, but I wanted an all mtn boot since my Lange's still had life in them. Thus the Hawx Ultra. The bootfitter for the Lange's said there was no more room to play with on the right foot for the reason you mentioned - binding toe piece - so I can't imagine getting down to a 29.5. The Hawx were easy peasy with the thermomolding.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
So I just started a masters race program and wanted to try a little stiffer boot than my Head Raptor 140 RS for racing. I found a new 2020 World Cup 150 in the 25.5 size I needed at a killer price. My Raptors are the same size which required a punch but what shocks me is that I have skied these WC 150s 1 day and can't believe I can ski these off the shelf with no boot work needed!

Then after I got the WC 150s, I came across another killer deal on some new 2020 Club Sport 130s so I bought those too. The CS 130s are a 25.5 size too but what is surprising is that they feel tighter than the WC 150s. In fact my feet were numb most of the day in the CS 130s and I had to remove them a couple times throughout the day to get the circulation going again (which is what I usually expect on a new boot day based off my previous boots). I know the CS 130s will be fine after another day or two on the slopes but I was just surprised that I had less pain with the WC 150s then the CS 130s off the shelf!
As Scott mentioned, it's the liner. "World Cup" models use a race room liner that is much thinner, more supple while the CS (at that time) used a thicker, more "Hawx" style liner construction. What a lot of skiers were doing was taking the World Cup liner and putting it into their CS boots. So for the 21/22 season (and beyond), the CS 130 comes with a Mimic World Cup liner. Same build as what the athletes are using, just lasted for the CS shell. (Covid note: We were supposed to launch Mimic World Cup liners in all 21/22 Redster boots (STI, TI, & CS) but we were forced to carry over the 20/21 TI & STI boots due to Covid chaos. So finally in 22/23, TI & STI are available with the Mimic World Cup liner that racers have been using since 2019/20).

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where can I try these things on? I go between New Mexico and Winter Park, CO. I am at a loss to find someplace that carries both the Hawx Ultra 115 and the Redster STi 110. I have very narrow feet and a high instep. I need to try before buying. Both of these were recommended by my boot-fitter along with the Lange or Rossi ZJ+ or ZSoft.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where can I try these things on? I go between New Mexico and Winter Park, CO. I am at a loss to find someplace that carries both the Hawx Ultra 115 and the Redster STi 110. I have very narrow feet and a high instep. I need to try before buying. Both of these were recommended by my boot-fitter along with the Lange or Rossi ZJ+ or ZSoft.

I believe Boot Doctor (Taos) is a Atomic dealer. I have ordered Atomic boots parts through them in previous years.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks KG. I called them. They have the Hawx Ultra but don't carry Redster. My bootfitter said to try the Hawx but thought it would not be narrow enough. So I'll go in during our gathering. I tried Alain too and they never heard of the Lange or Rossis I wanted to try.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Level Nine was having serious issues fulfilling my order. I canceled it and picked up another Rossi ZJ+. The shells with the Zipfit work so well for me. I'm going to take baby steps getting the fore/aft and canting dialed in this time around. I'm fortunate that I can get on the hill several days per week to test things out.
I was bummed to see this. I was curious how the Atomics would work out for you. I've been loving my Atomic STI 70 LC so far, and I'm even able to use the stock liner for now. Which is amazing, because normally I'm in the same boat as you with needing an aftermarket liner like Zipfit or Intuition to take up space, particularly in the heel area.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was bummed to see this. I was curious how the Atomics would work out for you. I've been loving my Atomic STI 70 LC so far, and I'm even able to use the stock liner for now. Which is amazing, because normally I'm in the same boat as you with needing an aftermarket liner like Zipfit or Intuition to take up space, particularly in the heel area.
I’ll put a pair on one of these days just out of curiosity. It’s a tough year for inventory.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’ll put a pair on one of these days just out of curiosity. It’s a tough year for inventory.
I got lucky in that mine were leftover from last year's stock.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had booked a few hours at atomic pro center today for us, my work was a fairly quick fix and mostly measurments / notes for the plastic work, so lots of time for my GF to test, she has broken her ancles a few times and hates when there is too much room and if its not tight, our plan was to test out a pair of 110 CS, but what did we end up with? :) We were there just to test, but the process was so good she bought them.

One of our best customer services experiences in a while, so friendly, and extremely knowledgeable, and nothing was rushed. They did alot of adjustments for her, things I had no idea could be done. Need to finish up another meeting and we are hitting the slopes! New atomic FIS SL 155's for her as well... :)

2022-01-13 12.46.12.jpg

Sponsor