• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The best pizza in the U.S. comes from....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First Park City Utah has the Lobster Roll and now the best pizza comes from... PORTLAND, Oregon????

(I had to clarify Oregon...because I almost would have accepted Portland Maine)

Say it isn't so.

Thoughts?

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I read this this morning and I’m not completely surprised-the same mindset that brought us craft beers has also been applied to pizza.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thoughts?

Stating asinine 'opinions' = clicks. Clicks = $$$.
Yes, you figured us out...we are looking to put an addition on the home office and nothing makes that possible like a what's the best pizza thread. Post about pizza...profit. :roflmao:

We are just trying to make the summer/off season engaging. :rolleyes:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You'd have to have done an awful lot of traveling and pizza eating to answer this question in any meaningful way. It's not like lift served skiing where the number of plausible candidates is very limited.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Yes, you figured us out...we are looking to put an addition on the home office and nothing makes that possible like a what's the best pizza thread. Post about pizza...profit. :roflmao:

We are just trying to make the summer/off season engaging. :rolleyes:
I didn't realize YOU were CNN? That's news to me. Since I have your ear- Do Better, news is really important, stick with facts and cut down on the talking head opinion bullshit. I undestand that you pioneered the '24 hour news cycle', but that almost singlehandedly made the entire country dumber. Go stand in the corner and consider what you've done.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You'd have to have done an awful lot of traveling and pizza eating to answer this question in any meaningful way. It's not like lift served skiing where the number of plausible candidates is very limited.
According to the article, they visited 250 pizzerias. The article seems to say that this is the full list of cities they visited, but then later talks about some international places, so not sure if this is a complete list:

Chicago
Detroit
Los Angeles
New York, New Jersey and Connecticut Tri-State area
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Portland
Quad Cities in Iowa and Illinois
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Who are you eating pizza with and how much beer is involved? Important questions.
Much more research is needed on yhis topic.
Will throw Pizza Rita, here in Spokane and their 5 pounder into the fray. Whatever most people choose to put on a pizza this thing has.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
According to the article, they visited 250 pizzerias. The article seems to say that this is the full list of cities they visited, but then later talks about some international places, so not sure if this is a complete list:

Chicago
Detroit
Los Angeles
New York, New Jersey and Connecticut Tri-State area
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Portland
Quad Cities in Iowa and Illinois
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis
My point was that if I, for example, as a reader, were to toss some candidates into the ring it wouldn't mean much beyond "these are some pretty good pizzas in northern New England." I don't have a significant frame of reference.

What I do know is that there is an embarrassment of great pizza now compared with thirty years ago. That can only be a good thing!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cafe Marmi in Rome- best pizza I ever had. I got there early and when I was leaving there was a line halfway up the block - locals who know their pizza.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
... "these are some pretty good pizzas in northern New England."...

A pizza maker from Portland MAINE, Otto pizza, opened a location this year in Andover, MA, a couple of miles from our house. We tried it and we were very impressed. We were even more impressed after googling and discovering the large number of locations they have (7 in Maine, 9 in Mass). So far, they've avoided the common trap of over-expanding into mediocrity.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't realize YOU were CNN? That's news to me. Since I have your ear- Do Better, news is really important, stick with facts and cut down on the talking head opinion bullshit. I undestand that you pioneered the '24 hour news cycle', but that almost singlehandedly made the entire country dumber. Go stand in the corner and consider what you've done.
I would agree with you if it had a title like "Here are the top 10 Pizza cities in the states, You won't believe number 4..." but It's a CNN article, not one of the "Sponsored" ones at the bottom.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:ogcool:
hahah...there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to pizza. New Haven is pretty good
@Erik Timmerman , if you like coal fired pizza. It's like any southern Italian food brought in from immigrants to this country in the early 20th C: "no one makes it as good as my nonna!"

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
First Park City Utah has the Lobster Roll and now the best pizza comes from... PORTLAND, Oregon????

(I had to clarify Oregon...because I almost would have accepted Portland Maine)

Say it isn't so.

Thoughts?
Seems they have to separate pizza from tomato pie that some people call pizza. I have tried pizza in many states and from Italy, although Oregon is not one of them, you are going to tell me that it is better than NY & NJ. I think there's some back room payoffs going on.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is where I want to puch the guy in the throat...

New York City is relying way too much on tradition and living off reputations instead of trying to present the best pies possible today.

IMHO, the beauty of a New York pie...or slices... IS the simplicty and tradition and it falls under "less is more". When I order pizza, rearly do I order toppings...if I do it is usually a singular one like sausage or anchovies. The article feels like it is from someone who call everything "pasta" and not linguini, fettuccini or even just macaroni and every beer he drinks is an IPA.

Sponsor