• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The best pizza in the U.S. comes from....

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone been to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ? It used to be considered one of the best. It’s expanded to many places now, but doesn’t look like they’ve sold the name like Grimaldi’s.

My pizza taste has changed over the years. Quite a few Neapolitan style, wood fired pizza places have popped up in the PHX area over the years and this is the style I have come to like best. The crust is the most important part of the equation IMO, along with good sauce and cheese. Toppings should compliment not overwhelm.

I had not been to Bianco's for several years but after trying most of the competition (some very good options I should say), two recent visits to Bianco have convinced me they are still the best by far (in the Phoenix area at least). Top notch quality, flavors, service. Very much worth a try.

As for the chain places, last year, someone at work ordered in one each pepperoni pie from Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa Johns so we could do a taste test. They were all inedible. Just gross.

As for deep dish, check out John Stewart's Chicago pizza rant - hilarious. (Doh! Link is on page one)

Last edited:

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
If anyone comes to Buffalo, NY and disputes our superiority at pizza. I will buy them a slice from a few local haunts to prove you wrong and then sign them in on a guest pass at the area I patrol at to celebrate you admitting you’re wrong. I am that confident.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
New York ...or really that style that goes up that north east coast line is it's own class. Is it the best? Maybe not, but it is the purest form of pizza to me. I do like a good sicilian, it is thick, crunchy but not as heavy as it looks. I like a brick or wood oven pie. What I don't like is pizzas that are bordering on buffets with everything on them, the more you put on a pizza the less it can cook evenly. No more that two topping.

As far as toppings go...
-Anchovies
-Sausage (slices) and mushrooms
Overated:
-Pepperoni
-Green peppers
Unacceptable:
-Pineapple
-Pinapple and ham

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
What I don't like is pizzas that are bordering on buffets with everything on them

This! And I'd go @Philpug a step further and limit it to one topping.
Dumping every leftover in the fridge on an innocent pizza is the culinary equivalent of child molestation.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mmmm... pineapple and ham pizza.... not all the time, but sometimes it's good.

And pepperoni overrated?!?!?!?!?!? This is why we can't be friends.
Buffalo Chicken is sometimes good. Cheeseburger Pizza is sometimes good. Pineapple and Ham is an abomination.

No, You liking Miracle Whip is why we can't be friends.

I didn't say pepperoni isn't good or I don't like it. I said it is overated. Pepperoni is the fallback meat when someone says "lets get a few pizzas"...one is always pepperoni ... sausage doesn't even get a thought or a mention. At least with sausage, you can still taste the pizza and it is not a greasefest.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I both agree & disagree w/ @Philpug on pepperoni.
The problem is the lack of good pepperoni.
When I was regularly picking up a couple of slices at Queens on Court St, the pepperoni had a kick, and it wasn't overgreased.
Having just spent two weeks in NY, and consumed my full share of pizza, I'd have to agree that generally the sausage slices trumped the pepperoni.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Limit it to one topping.
This is my vote, one topping. One thing many people don't realize is when you put veggies on the pizza you have to cook the pie longer. All the moisture from the veggies go into the dough and prevent the pie from complete cooking in the same amount of time. You have to add several minutes to the cooking time if you want it to cook all the way through. I like my pizza with sausage and a well done crust so for me no veggies, my wife likes it with mushrooms.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is my vote, one topping. One thing many people don't realize is when you put veggies on the pizza you have to cook the pie longer. All the moisture from the veggies go into the dough and prevent the pie from complete cooking in the same amount of time. You have to add several minutes to the cooking time if you want it to cook all the way through. I like my pizza with sausage and a well done crust so for me no veggies, my wife likes it with mushrooms
I don’t have a problem with multiple toppings if it’s done right. A couple places near me make really good veggie slices. I actually like some of the weird specialty slices that push the envelope of what pizza is. One place makes a “spicy Asian chicken” slice that is delicious. They also do chicken bruschetta slices with either breaded and grilled chicken.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I don’t have a problem with multiple toppings if it’s done right. A couple places near me make really good veggie slices. I actually like some of the weird specialty slices that push the envelope of what pizza is. One place makes a “spicy Asian chicken” slice that is delicious. They also do chicken bruschetta slices with either breaded and grilled chicken.
That is the problem with multiple toppings, most places don't do it well. On a bet one day a friend got me to try a buffalo chicken slice of pizza. It was interesting and it keeps with my one topping wish. I am not sure if I would want to have a lot of it but like I said it was interesting. The pizza shop that I tried the buffalo chicken used only white meat chicken on the pie and it was cooked in advance.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The good thing is that you can order as many pizzas as you want. One with extra toppings, maybe a mushroom or anchovie, bacon and onion, sausage, ham, pepper and onion, get one crispy, steak tip calzone, ricotta hmmmm.

At home I usually make and sheet pan spread/roll out bread dough (moms italian bread #1 on google) with 1/4 wheat flour, nice sauce, real mozzarella, and some sauted onion, on convect at 450 until the bottom is light brown and the cheese bubbly.

James

Out There
Instructor
Saying pizza is only one style is just wrong, and certainly not historically correct.
One could argue that Neopolitan is the only “real” style but that wouldn’t be accurate either.
The Romans didn’t have tomatoes, so does that mean any red sauce pizza isn’t real?

NY style uses low moisture mozzarella, ideally whole milk. It doesn’t use fresh mozzarella.

That looks like a lot of crust, how thick is that?
About 3/4 of an inch on the cornicone, the inside is quite thin. Specs are 1-2cm for cornicone, and a max of 4mm for the inside of the pizza. The outer cornicone should be cloud like in structure.
Neopolitan is soft. When you fold the 1/4 slice, you tuck the tip into the fold as it won’t stay up like NY style. Or, you can fold the entire pizza in half then half again and eat it that way. “Portafoglio”, (wallet), style.
Folding, but knife and fork isn’t wrong.

7CA48E14-226B-4A06-8E96-DE17A97FCC16.jpeg

Portafoglio method.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Likely the most appalling thing I've read on Pugski/Ski Talk in 5 years.

Give it a chance with a open mind. You'll be surprised how much flavor anchovies can bring to a dish. Have to admit laying whole fillets on a pie is a bit crude. It can be done with more finesse. Have to say most like it for the shock value.

I like cooking with it. The flavor should not be distinct but married into the other ingredients present. Amazing depth.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Give it a chance with a open mind. You'll be surprised how much flavor anchovies can bring to a dish. Have to admit laying whole fillets on a pie is a bit crude. It can be done with more finesse. Have to say most like it for the shock value.

I like cooking with it. The flavor should not be distinct but married into the other ingredients present. Amazing depth.
I like cooking with anchovies, it's a good way to add depth of flavor ... but ... anchovies as a pizza topping? Hard pass.