• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The best pizza in the U.S. comes from....

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anchovies are right behind mushrooms as my favorite pizza topping but they have to be done right as @KingGrump says. They can't just be pulled from a can and dropped on a pizza. Yechh. For that matter, when mushrooms are thick and sauteed separately first they're amazing. But if you chop 'em and drop 'em on the pie they come out like a cardboard/rubber hybrid.

I seem to recall pizza didn't originate in Italia, it was here, but at some point Italians latched onto it.

Well... I shouldn't be here...heading back to the weight loss thread now.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
[/QUOTE]
For that matter, when mushrooms are thick and sauteed separately first they're amazing. But if you chop 'em and drop 'em on the pie they come out like a cardboard/rubber hybrid.

Wasting perfectly good mushrooms with lazy 'cooking' habits is another pet peeve. Needs its own thread.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why not. Many so called pizzerias on in the suburbs of NYC put bake ziti on top pizza. :nono:
Another example is tacos. I'm pretty sure hundreds of years ago Mexicans weren't sending expeditions a thousand miles north to harvest salmon. And they look down at our surf, please don't suggest Mexican surfers were bringing it back.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
The best pizza region in the U.S. is probably the Northeast— just by sheer volume of pizzerias per capita over a fairly broad area. The average, strip-mall pizzeria found everywhere in the Northeast makes excellent pies. We take it for granted, maybe.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We take it for granted, maybe.
You don't appreciate them until you are gone. I miss even a Bravissomo/Bravo pizza now that I moved out of the area.

For a different treat, Drexel Hill Pizza on WCP/Rt3 in Broomall makes a "Greek style" pizza that is a great variation. I used get the one with feta, spinach and anchovies, really good. Or even just the plain cheese one. Not New York, but legit.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The surprising part is not how much flavor they have... it's how bad it is.

You have to broaden your horizon/palate.
Oh, sorry. You are the miracle whip guy from VA. I fully understand (not really.)

I know it's really difficult to appreciate anchovies when we exist in alternate universes.
E.g.

When you think of fish.
1637769888688.png

When I think of fish.

1637769930507.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You have to broaden your horizon/palate.
Oh, sorry. You are the miracle whip guy from VA. I fully understand (not really.)

I know it's really difficult to appreciate anchovies when we exist in alternate universes.
E.g.

When you think of fish.
View attachment 149253

When I think of fish.

View attachment 149254
I love fresh fish, cooked a variety of ways. But that's not anchovies. Granted, I've probably only tried them straight out of a tin and just slapped on a pizza, when they smell terrible to start with.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I love fresh fish, cooked a variety of ways. But that's not anchovies. Granted, I've probably only tried them straight out of a tin and just slapped on a pizza, when they smell terrible to start with.

Like I said up thread. Laying out the fillets in a sun burst pattern on a pie is rather crude. Anchovies are more of as condiment than protein. Few fillets at the start of a marinara sauce makes all the difference. You'll will not taste the anchovies but the flavor of the sauce is so much deeper.

Think @James and his fish sauce shots vs cooking with it.

James

Out There
Instructor
People say they don’t like anchoives yet consume Worscetershire sauce, which is essentially gringo fish sauce and fish sauces are usually made with anchovies.

Anchoives and other small fish on “pizza” are far older than tomatoes, and esp tomato sauce.
ranch seems to be popular for some reason.
That’s just disgusting on salad let alone pizza.
Let’s just kill two birds with one stone and put ranch flavored Doritos on top of pizza.
I'm pretty sure hundreds of years ago Mexicans weren't sending expeditions a thousand miles north to harvest salmon.
I don’t think tomato sauce in Italia is that much over 150 years old. Tomatoes were not well regarded for a long time after introduction by the Spanish from the New World in the 16th century.

This is interesting-
—————-
In 1831, Samuel Morse – inventor of the telegraph – described pizza as a ‘species of the most nauseating cake … covered over with slices of pomodoro or tomatoes, and sprinkled with little fish and black pepper and I know not what other ingredients, it altogether looks like a piece of bread that has been taken reeking out of the sewer’.
————————-

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, 12 pages of people rejecting the premise of the article in the OP, which is that there is some truly excellent pizza in parts of the country that are known for being foodie towns. And further that they know what’s “best” based only on their individual experience.

Carry on.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is interesting-
—————-
In 1831, Samuel Morse – inventor of the telegraph – described pizza as a ‘species of the most nauseating cake … covered over with slices of pomodoro or tomatoes, and sprinkled with little fish and black pepper and I know not what other ingredients, it altogether looks like a piece of bread that has been taken reeking out of the sewer’.
————————-

He didn’t really feel that way, he was speaking in code.

Sponsor

Staff online