• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The best pizza in the U.S. comes from....

James

Out There
Instructor
So, 12 pages of people rejecting the premise of the article in the OP, which is that there is some truly excellent pizza in parts of the country that are known for being foodie towns. And further that they know what’s “best” based only on their individual experience.

Carry on.
Good thing we don’t tune skis with pizzas or it would be worse.
Though we do have the fat pizza vs thin pizza arguments.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You have to broaden your horizon/palate.
Oh, sorry. You are the miracle whip guy from VA. I fully understand (not really.)

I know it's really difficult to appreciate anchovies when we exist in alternate universes.
E.g.

When you think of fish.
View attachment 149253

When I think of fish.

View attachment 149254
That is a North Atlantic Black Sea Bass and it is one of the best tasting fish you are ever going to eat. My personal favorite and one I enjoy catching for dinner.
PXL_20210605_163739709.MP.jpg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That is a North Atlantic Black Sea Bass and it is one of the best tasting fish you are ever going to eat. My personal favorite and one I enjoy catching for dinner.
View attachment 149307

Black sea bass is one of our favorite also. Great texture, not fibrous at all. We normally reverse spatchcock it. 9 minute in a steamer. Top with ginger, cilantro, scallion, sugar, soy, salt and pepper. Flash the whole thing with hot oil and it's good to go.

James

Out There
Instructor
So what you're saying is, someone desperately needs to invent an anchovy pizza helmet.
Don’t know about the helmet. Maybe 20 years ago was in Naples on the Assunta, Aug 15 iirc. Of course I had no idea that the Ascension of Mary was such a big holiday. Most everything was closed. I stayed in some little dive, across the street was a small restaurant. Too tired to go searching for dinner that night I ate there, the only one in the place.
I kind of had no idea what I ordered, other than some sort of fish. Out comes a plate of little silver fish, heads and all. I guess they were anchovies. Delicious. I ordered another plate.
Looked kind of like this-
561EBBD9-360C-4313-9549-B3839814BD61.jpeg

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
and now, back to the pizza - Kinchley's Tavern, Ramsey, NJ
20211119_180839.jpg

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Chicago, Detroit and then gasp

CO. I like mountain pies out here, especially from Beau Jos

i agree I like anchovies…

Green Olives, onions, mushroom

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Don’t know about the helmet. Maybe 20 years ago was in Naples on the Assunta, Aug 15 iirc. Of course I had no idea that the Ascension of Mary was such a big holiday. Most everything was closed. I stayed in some little dive, across the street was a small restaurant. Too tired to go searching for dinner that night I ate there, the only one in the place.
I kind of had no idea what I ordered, other than some sort of fish. Out comes a plate of little silver fish, heads and all. I guess they were anchovies. Delicious. I ordered another plate.
Looked kind of like this-
View attachment 149337

Where I'm from, it's called 'girice' and every cookout has to have them. Fish popcorn.

NOT anchovies. Smelt. Sprats are also popular done like this.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where I'm from, it's called 'girice' and every cookout has to have them. Fish popcorn.

NOT anchovies. Smelt. Sprats are also popular done like this.
Yeah, popping anchovies, even deep fried, would be like eating a condiment.

So far, amongst some great entries, I’m giving the pizza photo award to @x10003q. Almost worth a trip to NY when Omicron isn’t raging.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why must we choose? So many good pizzas, not the same, but equally good depending on your mood. The pizzas I remember from the tiny hole in the wall places in Coppola Pinetamare and Casertavecchia when I was 8, and the pepperoni and onion from Eli's in Attleboro as a teen are different creatures. But both delicious. The pineapple and green chili pizza I had in Taos, I'll gladly go back. Don't remember what I had on it, but I remember a great slice from Taos Pizza Out Back as well. I won't say no to a square slice of Sicilian here in the Boston area. I do have to say the "Big Max" pizza DH has been choosing lately is a bit questionable though (pickles and burger sauce? really?)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Having spent years as a poor grad student qualifies me as a pizza expert.
Best pizza I ever had came from a Chinese restaurant in Paris.
Go figure?
What would make you order a pizza in a Chinese restaurant in Paris??? When I was in Germany I went to a Chinese restaurant but I did order Chinese food. It was a little different to watch the Chinese waiter speak German and take the order of Chinese food.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid