• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The best pizza in the U.S. comes from....

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
tru'dat!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Begs the question, is there such a thing as scrapple bbq.
Never crossed my mind. But there is this....
1626967439822.jpeg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Pizza in CT is to me what Asian and Mexican food in California was when I lived there. So many good places, mostly can't go wrong. We are in the middle of nowhere in northwestern CT when we aren't in VT and we've 2 really good pizza places on Main street right around the corner. Now good pizza in southern VT is a whole different story, it's called buy a pizza stone and make it at home.

James

Out There
Instructor
FIFY - seriously, the improvement is incredible. I'm an ex-pizza stone man and I ain't never going back!
That comes from Nathan Myhrvold actually.

I've been to Schoalls and Ken's in Portland. Good but nothing special. New Haven pizza from establishments (Pepe's, Modern, Sally's) that have been executing to perfection and set the bar for the rest of county for 50+ years w/ a superior product is the gold standrad. It's that easy.
Yeah, that’s why I used to rank New Haven quite high. I’d say it’s standards are still higher in general. I’ve had better at the Yorkside diner than Modern recently. And Yorkside I’d only give a decent rating. Frankly the Modern was near inedible, and I used to love that place.

Sally’s currently has a huge tent outside. Possibly 10x their tiny inside space. It does beg the question if they’re able to maintain quality.

Pepés I haven’t been to in years. Last time I went I was fairly disappointed. In the mid 90’s I once took college kids there on a trip to NEw Haven from NYC. Bit of a lark, we took the long way with the ferry, hid two under the van seats to save money.

In the past I’d rank BAR the top in NH, but haven’t been there in years.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

Yeah, that’s why I used to rank New Haven quite high. I’d say it’s standards are still higher in general. I’ve had better at the Yorkside diner than Modern recently. And Yorkside I’d only give a decent rating. Frankly the Modern was near inedible, and I used to love that place.

Sally’s currently has a huge tent outside. Possibly 10x their tiny inside space. It does beg the question if they’re able to maintain quality.

Pepés I haven’t been to in years. Last time I went I was fairly disappointed. In the mid 90’s I once took college kids there on a trip to NEw Haven from NYC. Bit of a lark, we took the long way with the ferry, hid two under the van seats to save money.

Bar is FANTASTIC. I've always been a little disappointed in Pepes.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier

Frankly the Modern was near inedible, and I used to love that place.

Sally’s currently has a huge tent outside. It does beg the question if they’re able to maintain quality.

Pepés I haven’t been to in years.

That's disappointing to hear that about Modern. I was at Sally's and Pepe's last fall and ate on the hood of my car. Both were solid but not mind blowing. Pepe's has expanded around CT and I've tried pizza from 2 of the different locations. Again, very solid, not mind blowing but better than the pizza here in Minneapolis......there is a pretend pizza scene here.

Maybe as New Haven as a city has changed so have these pizza establishments. It's easy to see how quality can change as the demographic shifts occur. I want to believe that New Haven pizza is the standard, but its easy to see how tastes and preferences change (maybe people don't appreciate the char of New Haven style pizza, no one likes burned and there is a difference) but its easy to see how the pizza scene in other cities like Portland evolve and attract the spotlight.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's disappointing to hear that about Modern. I was at Sally's and Pepe's last fall and ate on the hood of my car. Both were solid but not mind blowing. Pepe's has expanded around CT and I've tried pizza from 2 of the different locations. Again, very solid, not mind blowing but better than the pizza here in Minneapolis......there is a pretend pizza scene here.

Maybe as New Haven as a city has changed so have these pizza establishments. It's easy to see how quality can change as the demographic shifts occur. I want to believe that New Haven pizza is the standard, but its easy to see how tastes and preferences change (maybe people don't appreciate the char of New Haven style pizza, no one likes burned and there is a difference) but its easy to see how the pizza scene in other cities like Portland evolve and attract the spotlight.

I actually don't consider New Haven to be the staple any longer. New Haven is an amazing city with amazing food but it's not necessarily the hub any longer. We have amazing pizza all over the state.

I don't recall having grand pizza when I lived in Minneapolis, same as California. Pretend pizza, scene, I like that lolol.

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
Best slice I ever had was from a small mom and pop in Clearview, WA called "A NY Pizza" (no longer in business). When I walked in it smelled fantastic and I said: "Smells just like a NY pizza parlor"! The 70+ year old guy behind the counter responds: "Just like? It is a NY pizza parlor". Turns out he and his wife had owned a pizza joint in Brooklyn for 35 years and moved out here because their daughter was pregnant. Simple pie, tasted great!

Surprised he didn't throw me out though!

Sponsor

Staff online