• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The best pizza in the U.S. comes from....

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Consistency is important. Pizza di Roberto e Susan:
Pizza072321.JPG

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If my 2 boys were responding they would say the best pizza is from Flipper’s Pizza in Orlando.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone been to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, AZ? It used to be considered one of the best. It’s expanded to many places now, but doesn’t look like they’ve sold the name like Grimaldi’s.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ok, my last "consistency" post but with yesterday's WSJ to show that it's not a repeat. The dark thing about 3:30 was a crunchy bit that fell off in the oven that I recovered as I took the pizza out and ate immediately after taking the picture:
View attachment 138911
Awaiting a ruling on whether that’s really a pizza since it’s 100% covered. Possible flatbread or foccaccia ogsmile
9321166A-22EC-44E3-BC19-5106A1F08746.jpeg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Awaiting a ruling on whether that’s really a pizza since it’s 100% covered. Possible flatbread or foccaccia ogsmile
View attachment 138960
Oh gawd. I may have to do a further picture next Friday with both top and bottom!!!

Admittedly the following is not evidence that is foolproof, but here is one of the three pizza crusts: I make the crusts in a batch of 3. They cold ferment for 72 hours in the fridge, and the two that won't be used that Friday are then put in the freezer for the following two Fridays ...
1627852238833.png

Recipe is one of J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's - one of my cooking heros - I don't think that I've ever had a bum Kenji recipe.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If they rule it's not pizza, I WILL EAT IT!

FIFY. Looks amazing.

They cold ferment for 72 hours in the fridge, and the two that won't be used that Friday are then put in the freezer for the following two Fridays.

Flag on the play.

Thursday is pizza night. :ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
Oh gawd. I may have to do a further picture next Friday with both top and bottom!!!
Showing the bottom doesn’t change the top.
Still a flying saucer-
5022C126-CD82-4396-84E2-23095B5E1A85.jpeg

The question is, is it a pizza without a cornicone?
Are you using the 1/4inch steel? Does it heat up faster than say 3/4 inch stone?

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Showing the bottom doesn’t change the top.
Still a flying saucer-
View attachment 139017

The question is, is it a pizza without a cornicone?
Are you using the 1/4inch steel? Does it heat up faster than say 3/4 inch stone?
'tis my wife's doing good sir, <forelock tug>, she knows not of cornicones and indeed is afraid of them stampeding through the house, making a clattering noise with their 'ooves and making messes on the carpets. She makes the pizza without same ... I merely 'umbly supply the crust ...

We do indeed use the ¼ inch steel. Never did a comparison with the stone, but with the higher conductivity and heat capacity, I'd expect the steel to be faster than the stone. Having said that, the Baking Steel people suggest letting it pre-heat for an hour. My physics tells me that that is overkill due to the conductivity - just start the oven with the steel in, get a decent oven thermometer (e.g. Thermoworks) and once the oven hits a real 500F as opposed to the idiot government 500F (did you know that as an energy saving measure, domestic ovens' thermostats lie and tell you you have got to temperature early?), it shouldn't take too long for the steel to get there. Check it with an IR thermometer if necessary. We do our pizza for 9 minutes. YMMV.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
'tis my wife's doing good sir, <forelock tug>, she knows not of cornicones and indeed is afraid of them stampeding through the house, making a clattering noise with their 'ooves and making messes on the carpets. She makes the pizza without same ... I merely 'umbly supply the crust ...

We do indeed use the ¼ inch steel. Never did a comparison with the stone, but with the higher conductivity and heat capacity, I'd expect the steel to be faster than the stone. Having said that, the Baking Steel people suggest letting it pre-heat for an hour. My physics tells me that that is overkill due to the conductivity - just start the oven with the steel in, get a decent oven thermometer (e.g. Thermoworks) and once the oven hits a real 500F as opposed to the idiot government 500F (did you know that as an energy saving measure, domestic ovens' thermostats lie and tell you you have got to temperature early?), it shouldn't take too long for the steel to get there. Check it with an IR thermometer if necessary. We do our pizza for 9 minutes. YMMV.

Yeah, an hour seems like overkill for sure. Your method is the way I heat up my pizza stone when I cook pizza indoors via kitchen oven. The mass makes the pre-heat time longer, as it should, as the stone is sucking up the heat. I usually let the oven cycle once back on again after it thinks it's up to temp before I check the temp with IR and deem it good to go.

James

Out There
Instructor
The orchestral piece, “Stampede of the Cornicones”…

After getting the oven to temp for awhile, you can heat soak the stone or steel by turning the broiler on for some time. That way you can get it hotter than the oven. You might have to open the door for a bit when switching back to bake to convince the oven it’s not at temp.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The orchestral piece, “Stampede of the Cornicones”…

After getting the oven to temp for awhile, you can heat soak the stone or steel by turning the broiler on for some time. That way you can get it hotter than the oven. You might have to open the door for a bit when switching back to bake to convince the oven it’s not at temp.

I've done this. I also use the broiler at the end of the bake to toast the top ( you know those small charred spots on the Cornicones) sometimes. This would be to mimic a Neopolitan style without the 800-1000F degree oven. If I'm baking outside in my woodfired pizza oven there's no need for that, the oven will be at 900-1000 F, and the heat exhaust from the fire bathes over the top on the pizza as it bakes.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier

:roflmao:

If you follow Dave Portnoy's One-bite pizza reviews (Barstool sports), he has crowned New Haven the pizza capital. But... he only samples cheese pizza and is not a fan of Neapolitan style of pizza.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Was at Papa's in Robbinsville for tomato pies on Sunday.....solid place that has the accolades and is right in @Uncle-A backyard.

Another pizza from Alessios in Hoboken, NJ.
PXL_20211121_204558017.jpg

I took the first slice before taking the picture, I am sure most people will understand.

Sponsor

Staff online