• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Bicycle is the Slow Death of the Planet.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have seen this one some time ago, but I thought it's joke. Can someone confirm it's for real and it wasn't meant to be joke? Because if it's real, guy should be shot on spot, even though purely from economic perspective, he's probably right, but I guess everything can't really be seen purely with such calculations.
But considering he's suppose to be from EU, where we have fully paid sick leave, following is completely wrong too:
"Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don’t buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country’s GDP."
Fact is, that healthy people are the one working. They might not buy medicime or go to hospitals, but they build houses, they work in factories, internet is running because of them and they in general create way more GDP then those on fully paid sick leave and their doctors.
Because of nonsenses like this, I though all this is joke.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After my engineering degree, i studied economics, and it is at best a pseudo science, and at worst a damaging theory that makes life worse for billions of people.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But considering he's suppose to be from EU, where we have fully paid sick leave, following is completely wrong too:
"Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don’t buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country’s GDP."
Fact is, that healthy people are the one working. They might not buy medicime or go to hospitals, but they build houses, they work in factories, internet is running because of them and they in general create way more GDP then those on fully paid sick leave and their doctors.
Because of nonsenses like this, I though all this is joke.

It doesn't work in the US either. Take 2014 as an example recent, pre-Covid year. Fuel taxes, both state and federal, came to less than 91 billion US dollars. Total spending on highways and transportation projects in the same year? 416 billion.

For every $1 a fuel vehicle driver contributes, he is being subsidized $3.5 by the cycling homeowner's real estate and income taxes.

Put another way, US fuel vehicle drivers would have to pay another ~$1.60 per gallon (in 2014 prices) just to pay for the roads they use. That's assuming 15K average/yr and 20mpg.

Notice that:

Actually in Washington state there is an extra surcharge on you annual vehicle registration to make up the lost road tax revenue from fuel sales. I think paid an extra $300 for my car because of that.

combined with the fuel tax rate shown here:

Means Washington State expects their drivers to drive around 12K miles per year at around 20miles per gallon. So my 2014 numbers are not far off.

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It doesn't work in the US either. Take 2014 as an example recent, pre-Covid year. Fuel taxes, both state and federal, came to less than 91 billion US dollars. Total spending on highways and transportation projects in the same year? 416 billion.

For every $1 a fuel vehicle driver contributes, he is being subsidized $3.5 by the cycling homeowner's real estate and income taxes.

Put another way, US fuel vehicle drivers would have to pay another ~$1.60 per gallon (in 2014 prices) just to pay for the roads they use. That's assuming 15K average/yr and 20mpg.

Notice that:

combined with the fuel tax rate shown here:

Means Washington State expects their drivers to drive around 12K miles per year at around 20miles per gallon. So my 2014 numbers are not far off.
Super interesting.
I do get tired of US drivers bitching about the price of gas.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The rise in gas prices is only since November 2020. They were low before that for maybe four years.
I’m recalling around 2008, when they went up to or exceeded $4 a gallon. Still then, people complained like crazy. The *high* gas prices now aren‘t high, relatively speaking. I guess I’m thinking of us compared to Europeans, where they pay a lot more.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I’m recalling around 2008, when they went up to or exceeded $4 a gallon. Still then, people complained like crazy. The *high* gas prices now aren‘t high, relatively speaking.

It's a sneaky problem, because US gas prices are close to immediately reflected in consumer goods prices, and that tends to be recessive as anything. Especially if people who drive using disposable income drive less - as opposed to those who have to for day to day survival and don't have the option to change.

Anyway, back to bikes.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was wondering if you compared the price of some bike tires and the price of say a compact car tire that might be closer than you would think.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just drove my car with 3 bikes 200 miles, same as i did last weekend.

Fuel taxes are one of the most regressive.

Mtb tire prices are some sort of racket.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I should point it out before someone else does, you are only buying two for the bike and four for the car.
Well, except that if there are two people, you need two bikes so 4 are needed. :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well, except that if there are two people, you need two bikes so 4 are needed. :ogbiggrin:
My wife does occasionally ride with me, so you are correct four tires. Although I change her tires more due to dry out and not ware out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife does occasionally ride with me, so you are correct four tires. Although I change her tires more due to dry out and not ware out.
My bike tires rarely need attention, however, @Philpug and @Andy Mink are always fiddling with their bike tires for one air leak, or flat, or ...
Maybe I'm just gentle on my tires. :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tannus inserts y'all. Never fix a flat again. Even in the desert.

Hehe. Just after using mine
IMG_20210703_175222.jpg

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
The General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:

“A cyclist is a disaster for the country’s economy: He does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi lane highways. He does not get fat. Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don’t buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country’s GDP.

On the contrary, every new McDonald’s restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself.

Choose carefully: Cyclist or McDonald’s? It is worth considering.

PS. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don’t even buy bicycles.

Proudly announce to be a disaster to the economy.

On a more serious note though: SHOOT 'EM ALL !!!

Sponsor

Staff online