• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Cadillac of SUV's?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
23CAESCV61030.jpg
"The Cadillac of..." is ... was? a preface of quality or luxury. There was a time when if someone said your product was the Cadillac of, you know you had a top of the line whatever. While that has waned with a new generation, no other brand has taken that rein. No one says The Lexus/Mercedes/Apple/Sony/Rolex/Anyotherbrand of... It has been and still to this day, the Cadillac of.

Cadillac is introducing the Cadillac of SUV's, the new Escalade-V with their most powerful gas motor offered in a production vehicle, a massaged Supercharged 6.2L from the Corvette.

Here is the full article from Autoblog...

Excess? Is a starting price of $149K, to much? Who's to say where the line in drawn. Almost every euro brand has a SUV in this stratosphere of a price and most have 0-60 times sub 5 seconds but none have what the Escalade-V offers and that is a volumous interior, space not only to transport your friends at bullet train speed but also room to carry their stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems over the top to me for an SUV, but if the sellout rate of their recent Blackwings -- which they stated would be the last "pure" ICE versions -- is any indicator, they'll sell every one that they build.

Coincidentally, I rode/drove around in a Roush pickup the past week in Moab. Super cool and fast, but honestly, the novelty of an approximately 650 x 650 pickup kind of wore off......never thought I'd say that! Also, too loud to actually own and use on longer trips.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wife gave the choice between new vehicle or new skis this year. Think I will stick with the skis.
That one is a 'win the Lotto toy'.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Plus can't see the Escalade hacking it in Europe vs the 3.low second DBX 707 and Ursus which are the toys of choice for the modern day planet killing dilletante to get to the PJ.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Obviously, no concern about the fuel costs, let alone the overall carbon footprint.

I was fueling up our Landcruiser a couple of days ago. $85. Which, I noticed. For sure. Not pleased. And ready to be embarrased.

Next to me was a woman filling up her Suburban, and in front of me a guy with a F250. I am guessing that both had big tanks. Her pump went off at $155. She was shaking her head. The guy with the truck said he’d be about the same…..and fills up 2-3 times a week.

Not sure if a DBX driver will even notice. Probably has “people” to take care of that stuff!!

I notice my neighbor’s MB AMG E6.3 sitting idle in his garage a lot more!

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Cadillac of --> something for old people. :)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, than what's for young people?
That was one of my points, there isn't a "The _____ of ...." to replace "The Cadillac of ..."

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That was one of my points, there isn't a "The _____ of ...." to replace "The Cadillac of ..."

Eh not sure about that. I hear "The Tesla of"... quite a lot - to indicate premium price, tech forward and modernistic design.

I submit that the change in touchstone brand also carries a change in implicit qualities. I submit that it is completely appropriate that changing Cadillac to Tesla changes the connotation of the expression.

Changing the combination of premium price and luxury over to the combination of premium price, tech forward and modernistic design is exactly what makes the expression modern.

In other words, it is no longer appropriate for something to be just top of the line. It has to be a modern line.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January