• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Cadillac of SUV's?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I would argue that the styling of the 2000s Cadillac saloons has a direct lineage, egg crate grille, tapered wedge body form, strong swage lines and all, to the 1980s styling of the Allante - by Pininfarina.
Meh - Not being familiar with the Allante I note it doesn't look different to the 89 LeBaron I was driving in Canada in the early 00s classy red velour seats and all....

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's probably the best looking Escalade I've seen in a long time. I wish they had produced an SRX-V before they changed it from a Cadillac to another rebadged Chevy.

Where's my 712hp supercharged V8 minivan?
1652374175879.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The fact that MBs are used as cabs in other countries would blow a lot of folks minds in the US. I know it did mine a bit the first time I travelled to Europe (Denmark specifically, around 2001) and saw it.

I think MB would take a big hit in the US reputation-wise if they went that direction here.
Well think of all the other shit Europe has had to deal with car-wise for decades.. MB's were somewhat reliable and robust.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I think the decline in Cadillac started when they went to badge engineering (not that the Escalade isn't) then peoples expectation of luxury changed from barcaloungers to firm riding european then high end Japanese cars. From then it was really tough to get those customers back.
Well that was GM in general..Japanese did it as well..and Euros... Some just do it better than others. You know better than anyone Phil..the idea of nationalistic brands is pretty much dead. It's a Peyton Place parts orgy under the sheets(metal)...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's probably the best looking Escalade I've seen in a long time. I wish they had produced an SRX-V before they changed it from a Cadillac to another rebadged Chevy.

View attachment 168998
Ha! But Dodge hasn't actually done that. That's a computer render of a vehicle someone else made, and Dodge says they won't make. Someone else, I think, is making a one-off or custom/aftermarket one.

James

Out There
Instructor
Talk about ugly, Rolls has produced some exquisite turds. Since 2003 even it’s BMW ownership has been unable to shed the boat anchor styling weight of that grill. They make some weird stuff.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ha! But Dodge hasn't actually done that. That's a computer render of a vehicle someone else made, and Dodge says they won't make. Someone else, I think, is making a one-off or custom/aftermarket one.
There were companies swapping hemis in to wrangled and Stellantis finally wised up and built the Wrangler 392 so there is still some hope for a Pacifica Hellcat

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There were companies swapping hemis in to wrangled and Stellantis finally wised up and built the Wrangler 392 so there is still some hope for a Pacifica Hellcat
Someone can probably do it, sure. But Dodge has said they looked at it and won't do it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Current ad:
C28EB890-736F-46D2-8D36-4B8E02E9B628.jpeg

Cadillac is supposedly going towards all electric.Going to be tough to cough up the 6.2l supercharged motor. That’s quite a hairball.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Off course :)
But the phrase is generally used for something over the top exensive, not really as a positive.

I know :) my point was that the kind of person who does see it as a positive is a Captain Slowly sort of person ;)

At a meta level my point is also that, at this point of tech, cars and language, car metaphors tell more about the worldview of the people using them than the thing being spoken of.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The problem is the phrase itself changed meaning, so it isn't something that means anything. Back in the 60s it meant the best, most desirable, but by the year 2000 it came to mean to many people an expensive unreliable piece of junk and an unless money pit as it ages. I don't know if the management at Cadilac wrt QA/QC or the GM stealerships wrt to maintenance and repair are at fault, but that's the problem.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know :) my point was that the kind of person who does see it as a positive is a Captain Slowly sort of person ;)

At a meta level my point is also that, at this point of tech, cars and language, car metaphors tell more about the worldview of the people using them than the thing being spoken of.
True

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

So are participants in this thread the Saabs of punditry?

Y'know once sleek and desirable with a certain cool and a tangential connection to real excitement (like fast jets) but ultimately broken down, obsolete and disontinued.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So are participants in this thread the Saabs of punditry?

Y'know once sleek and desirable with a certain cool and a tangential connection to real excitement (like fast jets) but ultimately broken down, obsolete and disontinued.

The only fly in this soup bowl of genius is that you wrote 'thread' :)

Sponsor

Staff online