• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
7D01A910-A15F-44CA-978C-7A7BAFA29190.jpeg

Jabba the Pug makes an appearance.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Moved from Amarillo, TX. to Taos, NM. Hazeldog helped me move. SuperDog. The UHaul truck and trailer were perfect and no trouble at all 300 miles. Had pro movers help me on both ends and saved 1400+- from moving companies.

1668886810231.png

1668886836252.png

1668886443771.png

1668887308607.png

1668887461911.png

Everything in storage and going all over western USA wiping out my Epicpass and Taos pass. Funny one....the mover (Michael) had the unit next to mine. Stacked it all as I asked. No broken glass or scratches on 1 year old appliances or motorcycle.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for you dog owners. Do you get claw marks on quality manufactured flooring? I have friends that would like to bring their black lab. If they nail trim, can I trust that will prevent marks?

My flooring looks similar to @JeffB 's above.
a smooth gloss or semi gloss finish on a hardwood will show scratches more readily. I haven't really seen any that won't suffer from a pooch, especially larger. trimming the nails definitely reduces the occurrence if the finish/wood is hard. Somewhat like high high heels on softer wood or finish .. more easily damaged.

We opted for hardwood with a baked oxide poly finish, poly will scratch and show this under the right lighting. Some folks may do a light buff on the surface much like one does for scratches in the clear coat of a car. Even some floor cleaners will hide the dullness scratch caused by dog nails.

We also opted for the "sculpted" finish .. it's irregular (lets say rustic) and hides scratches well. Figured if the floors already distressed scratches better hidden

Too, one simple solution is the trusted area rug(s) ... most damage occurs in the middle high acceleration zones.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Moved from Amarillo, TX. to Taos, NM. Hazeldog helped me move. SuperDog. The UHaul truck and trailer were perfect and no trouble at all 300 miles. Had pro movers help me on both ends and saved 1400+- from moving companies.

View attachment 183529

Everything in storage and going all over western USA wiping out my Epicpass and Taos pass. Funny one....the mover (Michael) had the unit next to mine. Stacked it all as I asked. No broken glass or scratches on 1 year old appliances or motorcycle.
nice, I will credit your co-pilot!

Too, I see your wisdom shine with the skis near door for easy quick access. :roflmao:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I took the dogs out for stroll this afternoon. Tule came back through the bushes hackles up, which is weird. She didn't look concerned about anything so we kept going. We got around the corner and I looked up the hill. Turns out we had some company. He was a couple hundred yards off and just watching. Our loop takes us around above where he was sitting but we didn't see him again. Not uncommon to see yotes around here and usually where there is one there are more. You see a lot of "menus" on the light poles and sign posts around here.
20221120_160454.jpg
20221120_154943.jpg

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yea; you have to be careful with them. A pack of 3 coyotes almost took one of my (60 lb.) dogs out right in front of the house. Coyotes went after her hamstring first, and almost severed it, but she got away. $3000+ vet bill to fix.
They are extremely wily predators and seem to have a remarkable ability to coordinate their hunting actions.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yea; you have to be careful with them. A pack of 3 coyotes almost took one of my (60 lb.) dogs out right in front of the house. Coyotes went after her hamstring first, and almost severed it, but she got away. $3000+ vet bill to fix.
They are extremely wily predators and seem to have a remarkable ability to coordinate their hunting actions.
Yep, we lost a pup years ago. One will tease the dog out to play and the others will descend. Then it's probably too late.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Coyotes have been known to "play" with a dog only to end up leading it to the pack for a snack.

Around here they decimated the bunny population and routinely kill peoples cats, dogs and calves. We had a neighbor years ago that was close to their home, and small dog, and a 'yote ran up and took the dog.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been surrounded by coyotes for pretty much my entire life. Which means outdoor cats and rabbits rarely survive in my vicinity. In Laguna, I used to work out in my garage at night. When the door was open there was often a coyote at the bottom of the driveway watching. There was a den on the hill behind my house, they’d come into my yard at night to hunt rabbits. I’d sometimes awaken to the scream of the kill.

Where I’m living now, there’s less tolerance for unruly natives. Coyotes here sometimes get “relocated”. It’s good that your dogs retreated. The ones that don’t usually don’t fare that well.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’ve been surrounded by coyotes for pretty much my entire life. Which means outdoor cats and rabbits rarely survive in my vicinity. In Laguna, I used to work out in my garage at night. When the door was open there was often a coyote at the bottom of the driveway watching. There was a den on the hill behind my house, they’d come into my yard at night to hunt rabbits. I’d sometimes awaken to the scream of the kill.

Where I’m living now, there’s less tolerance for unruly natives. Coyotes here sometimes get “relocated”. It’s good that your dogs retreated. The ones that don’t usually don’t fare that well.

Speaking of coyotes....did anybody see this article!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/dec/06/casper-georgia-dog-protects-sheep-coyotes

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20221123_161526.jpg

Jack turned 17 right before Thanksgiving, I meant to post this earlier. He is not doing good right now. Its hard watching him decline.

Sponsor

Staff online