• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Resized_20230207_211018(1).jpeg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
New puppy for my wife and I. Petra is almost 10 weeks old. Please send suggestions regarding puppy training, house training, dealing with sharp puppy teeth and playful biting. It’s not clear that we can leave Petra alone for extended periods, for example two hours. If this is possible, my wife and I can ski from 9-11am.
Photo, waiting for my wife to return home.

View attachment 194373
This is your first puppy? Look into crate training.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New puppy for my wife and I. Petra is almost 10 weeks old. Please send suggestions regarding puppy training, house training, dealing with sharp puppy teeth and playful biting. It’s not clear that we can leave Petra alone for extended periods, for example two hours. If this is possible, my wife and I can ski from 9-11am.
Photo, waiting for my wife to return home.

View attachment 194373
Definitely agree to look into crate training. Our pup loves his crate and it’s where he retreats when he wants some time alone, so he clearly feels safe there. Also gives you peace of mind that you won’t come home to destruction or worse.

For puppy teeth & biting, we were told to think like a dog and decide what the “reward” for a behaviour is. They want you and your attention, so if they nip you need to “be a tree” - stand up, hands tucked into armpits so nothing to jump at, back to them with no eye contact, and no talking. As soon as they stop nipping, lots of cuddles and talking to them again. Once we got all of us in the house doing that, our dog stopped nipping for attention.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely agree to look into crate training. Our pup loves his crate and it’s where he retreats when he wants some time alone, so he clearly feels safe there. Also gives you peace of mind that you won’t come home to destruction or worse.

For puppy teeth & biting, we were told to think like a dog and decide what the “reward” for a behaviour is. They want you and your attention, so if they nip you need to “be a tree” - stand up, hands tucked into armpits so nothing to jump at, back to them with no eye contact, and no talking. As soon as they stop nipping, lots of cuddles and talking to them again. Once we got all of us in the house doing that, our dog stopped nipping for attention.
while a bit silly sounding, I'd noted when pooches nip or bite too hard, giving out a yelp helps.

Many pooches (mine or fostered) seem to recognize the noise as pain and ease up or learn restraint.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
It’s not clear that we can leave Petra alone for extended periods, for example two hours. If this is possible, my wife and I can ski from 9-11am.

Leaving your puppy at home in a crate for 2 hours should be very doable, but will take some time to get the pup acclimated to the crate. If you feed them in the crate, they quickly associate the crate with 'good things.' If you rush it, they may start to think it's a punishment.

Leaving for the day takes longer. Puppies cannot hold it for long time until they get to ~6 months old. Varies per dog I guess.

There will be accidents as you all figure it out. Get a crate that is easy to clean. That wire one in the picture is a bad idea for a puppy (in my opinion). Soft bedding is also not good. They can shred it and choke. Best to let them sleep on the plastic floor.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Leaving your puppy at home in a crate for 2 hours should be very doable, but will take some time to get the pup acclimated to the crate. If you feed them in the crate, they quickly associate the crate with 'good things.' If you rush it, they may start to think it's a punishment.

Leaving for the day takes longer. Puppies cannot hold it for long time until they get to ~6 months old. Varies per dog I guess.

There will be accidents as you all figure it out. Get a crate that is easy to clean. That wire one in the picture is a bad idea for a puppy (in my opinion). Soft bedding is also not good. They can shred it and choke. Best to let them sleep on the plastic floor.
Our puppy likes her crate. She sleeps in her crate for about 7 hours, from 10pm (last outside visit) to 5:20 am without any accidents. We feed her in the kitchen with a gate to keep her on the wood floors and avoid our area rugs. We put her outside after she eats and drinks and go on a long walk 2-3 times day. On my walk, we work on "sit" and "here" (come). She responds well to these commands and gets lots of pets and the occasional treat.

@pete I will try the yelp when when nips me with her super sharp puppy teeth and will will use @Mel advice on nips and jumping on us. Keep the suggestions coming.

FYI, another fun powder day at Red Mtn and we are getting a refresh everyday.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As soon as they stop nipping, lots of cuddles and talking to them again. Once we got all of us in the house doing that, our dog stopped nipping for attention.
That’s the trick- getting everyone to go along with the training. Pups especially, are like kids, they figure out who the “ Softy” is real quick. :D

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Varmintmist

Sorry to hear about Wolf. Fully agree, it's the hardest part. I at times think pets help to temper us on losing our human loved ones. Doesn't ease the pain in either case but helps me understand love a bit more.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is the wood a pick up or is it there for a barrier/stop point for your pooch?
Good observation! It was a pickup from Lowe’s on the way. Sulley loves to ride, so he’s a perfect gentleman in the car.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
My Dog is SOOO HAPPY- A foot of snow to dive in, she took a snow bath, and now zonked from jumping and playing in it while we cleaned up. her pile on the deck is now a satisfactory amount.. she barks at the shovel when I push it off the deck LOL
I'd be as happy but I can't ski yet.. It turned in to "gack" pretty quickly was light at 7am now thick and sticky
IMG_20230304_063849_943.jpg
IMG_20230304_063912_607.jpg
IMG_20230304_071134_863.jpg
IMG_20230304_071138_419.jpg

Last edited:

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
So sorry for your loss. What a beautiful face.
What's your dog's name?
Originally when my daisy and brownie scouts brought him home while dealing cookies as "A German Shepard, just like I always wanted"... It was Buddy. A bunny hunting neighbor found him under a bush. Pretty sure he was a drop off as no one close claimed him. He had separation anxiety bad
After that , it was Fuzz, Buddyfuzz, when he refused to come inside when it was -20 out and I had finished refilling the wood burner, and he would howl at me every time I called him it was Wolf, Tufel Hunden, Buddy Wolf. As he got older he started picking guard positions in the yard to which the answer to "where is Bud"? was "Position 1" (2 or 3) When the back deck became a favorite OP he became "The Protector of Castle Wolfenstien". Since he had a little French stash, Mr Mustache was used, along with each time we had pizza he would get closer, his favorite. When that happened it was Buderino Fuzzoli.
There were others less used like Skunk dog...

travel1.jpg

This one is Elvira, Mistress of the Bark

Sponsor

Staff online