• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_9869.jpeg

Sophie found someone’s baseball on her walk and carried it all the way home

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, she loves chase! Olli can't chase her too much at this point in his life, but she just circles him and they pretend. I will get her down to the dog park soon, it's been so rainy I'm a little worried about mud, so we have just been walking on our road.

Sir Jeb at his first night of school

View attachment 204247

My beautiful Chloe enjoying a freshly mowed lawn. She came to us via the Denver Dumb Friends league about 12 years ago. She prefers snow and colder weather like I do.

This is my other dog, Juno. When she’s not sleeping she likes to eat dirt from my potted plants outside when I’m not looking. Also does a fair job keeping rabbits and squirrels away,.
Nice pups!!

The dna results are in. Any guesses? Archie is 3 years old, 67 lbs. Ernie came home with us from CO, and 2 weeks ago at 5 months he weighed 56 lbs.
I feel like I got behind on this thread a LOT. So many new pups here. fills my heart to see this kind of puppy love!

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Got the makings of a label for a bag of dog food with that image.

The best Charlie could do:

View attachment 205270
Chinook doesn't even belong to me, it's my friends pup. Here we are riding off the top of the mountain at the extreme upper left in the lake photo earlier that day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
PSA:
We have two small dog collars that were give aways at a trade show last year.
We can not use them, but will happily pass them along.
Size is 12" to 16"
Does anyone here with a small dog have a need for these?
I'd really like to pay it forward.

IMG_7528.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA:
We have two small dog collars that were give aways at a trade show last year.
We can not use them, but will happily pass them along.
Size is 12" to 16"
Does anyone here with a small dog have a need for these?
I'd really like to pay it forward.

View attachment 205288
very sweet offer, if no takers there's always local rescues that seek supplies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
very sweet offer, if no takers there's always local rescues that seek supplies.
That's a good idea.
When Ziggy passed, we had some doggie diabetes supplies left that we donated to the local humane society. Glucose monitor and syringes.
They were thrilled to accept the donation.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
eh eh eh .... Glucose monitors.

Our Roxy became diabetic last fall. We doing the curve tests at the vet but picked up a monitor, then when strips ran low and re-ordering, I decided to get that OEMs newest model since as like Human Glucose monitors, they're effectively free if you buy em with strips.

I can only say that mine don't track greatly to one another, typically 40-60 mg/dl different and not consistent if ones does multiple readings at the same time. I use it more as monitoring trend lines with the idea not to go too low, though that hasn't happened. Noted it to my vet who simply agreed that they're better for trend tracking.

I had hoped they performed more accurately but I'll just speculate that there are too many other factors in getting a good clean measure from a pooch vs human.

Human ones seem to be far more accurate and consistent, I'm tempted to try one out and see how it tracks itself and retests, comparing to the pet versions. Maybe my science fair project ...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had hoped they performed more accurately but I'll just speculate that there are too many other factors in getting a good clean measure from a pooch vs human.
@Ziggy 's monitor was barely used because he was extremely difficult to get blood from, and trust me when we say we tried every bit of advice and option available.
We even scheduled an appointment with the vet to have the vet tech show us how she was able to get a sample from Ziggy. When she walked into the room she said, "Ah Ziggy. That little fella is really really hard to get blood from for a test"
IMG_2527.JPG

So we monitored his overall pep, tail wag, energy level...ya know. We did what we could without putting him through the misery of trying to get blood.

He lived a good life and gave us a lot of joy.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ziggy 's monitor was barely used because he was extremely difficult to get blood from, and trust me when we say we tried every bit of advice and option available.
We even scheduled an appointment with the vet to have the vet tech show us how she was able to get a sample from Ziggy. When she walked into the room she said, "Ah Ziggy. That little fella is really really hard to get blood from for a test"

So we monitored his overall pep, tail wag, energy level...ya know. We did what we could without putting him through the misery of trying to get blood.

He lived a good life and gave us a lot of joy.
yeah,

For the Roxy we queue off her overall attitude and in large part, due to getting a sample. The monitors suggest besides a paw pad the ears or inner lip, I just cant see jabbing either of them given she's scream out. Our vet would do these drawing blood with a needle and syringe, something I won't be taking up.

So for now, it's larger lance needle, warm wet towel and massaging the pads for a while till I surprise her ... I guess one benefit since she's gone mostly blind. :(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yeah,

For the Roxy we queue off her overall attitude and in large part, due to getting a sample. The monitors suggest besides a paw pad the ears or inner lip, I just cant see jabbing either of them given she's scream out. Our vet would do these drawing blood with a needle and syringe, something I won't be taking up.

So for now, it's larger lance needle, warm wet towel and massaging the pads for a while till I surprise her ... I guess one benefit since she's gone mostly blind. :(
We were instructed Ziggy's ear but even that was rough to get a sample from so we went by his mood. No screaming out or other such anxiety but he looked extremely uncomfortable.

He lived for almost 2 years with diabetes and pancreatitis, and when we made the decision to pass over the rainbow bridge, it was clearly the right decision.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid