• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The end of an eon. Harris Cyclery closes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1623592826893.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's a real shame. I wonder what brought this on? Their website is priceless..I hope someone squirrels away the Sheldon Brown content.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I bought a bike there many years ago and have been in touch with Sheldon over the years, before he sadly passed away. I wouldn't be surprised if the rent went up so much they couldn't afford it, that's becoming a pretty upscale area.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
And yes, his content needs to be archived and made available ongoing.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

scott43

Skier
That's good. Some great stuff from the old days on that site, if you ever run across vintage stuff.

I would have thought they could find somewhere else to operate. Maybe they're just kinda done with it.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Sheldon's website is a how-to for anyone learning about bike repair and bike maintenance. Not outdated for the most part, solid descriptions of everything you might want to know, from tubes, to chains, brakes, etc.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Never met Sheldon Brown in person, but did through online groups and some brief direct conversation. Great guy.

And did a little mail order from the shop, including after he passed. It was a good place.

Muleski

Inactive
Very Sad. If I had known the shop was closing, I would have ventured over there. I live about an hour away.
It was a classic shop. And talk about classic.....that would define Sheldon and all of his material and information. As said, sad.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will echo everyone else’s comments here. My classic and vintage bike obsession began with the purchase of an old Robin Hood — a poor man’s Raleigh from back in the day — and Harris was an invaluable source of information.

Over time I rebuilt British, Italian, French, Swiss, and Japanese bikes. The British were hands down the biggest pains to work on. Harris (and Sheldon Brown) was the go-to place for information and parts.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good to know Sheldon's legacy will soldier on. I never bought anything from Harris, but am saddened by the loss of yet another cycle store. They are getting few and far between in the San Diego area as well.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I saw on another forum that Sheldon's archives will continue. His pages are an invaluable resource to any DIY bike tinkerer.

The Harris Cyclery store was quite the haul for me, or at least was inconvenient, so I never went there.

And, frankly, thanks in large part to Sheldon's pages, the number of reasons I have to go to a bike shop these days for mechanical assistance are few and far between.

I met Sheldon briefly once on a local bike club ride. Any photo you see of him online shows his helmet adorned with an eagle sculpture of some sort, so he was pretty instantly recognizable.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I bought a bike there many years ago and have been in touch with Sheldon over the years, before he sadly passed away. I wouldn't be surprised if the rent went up so much they couldn't afford it, that's becoming a pretty upscale area.

That's a good point on the rent... Bike shops are known for having fairly low profit margins (at least on the bikes themselves) and Newton certainly qualifies as being "expensive".