• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The end of Ski Magazine is on the horizon

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm missing Powder mags this season. They had their finger on the pulse of ski culture. They provided a round up of everything that was happening that mattered in skiing and now that isn't really available imo. It is like a little town that loses their only newspaper and the social connections that come with that. Skiing culture is a little worse off without the mags.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw the last Ski magazine gear guide at @Philpug's house the other day. Not one front side ski under 82. I'm pretty sure there are one or two decent narrower skis out there. Lots of ads, not a lot of content.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not only this but the ski reviews were useless in my opinion.
Yeah…was it Ski Magazine that named the original Soul 7 ski of the year? In its defense, maybe an editor struck the word Worst.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not only this but the ski reviews were useless in my opinion.
What is odd, I usuall recognize and know many of their reviewers, there was not one name I knew.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah…was it Ski Magazine that named the original Soul 7 ski of the year? In its defense, maybe an editor struck the word Worst.
Can’t really fault them for that one. Pretty much seemed to become the industry’s, My First Fat Ski. Sold gobs of units.

itcomestoosoon

Booting up
Skier
Where do you guys go for good print-level-quality journalism about skiing? Only so many nick paumgartner articles I can read in the new yorker

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you guys go for good print-level-quality journalism about skiing? Only so many nick paumgartner articles I can read in the new yorker
Did this - The Ski Journal - not appeal to you?

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
The internet is killing all sorts of print journalism.
Yes but the weapon used is short-sighted management.

Just read a Nov. 17 news- post on "Thetrek.co" by Penina Crocker, that Outside, Inc. has laid off another 12% of staff on Tuesday (Nov. 15), including the editors-in-chief of Cyclingtips and VeloNews, two of the leading content providers for pro road-racing and other cycling news and equipment info.

This is after laying off 15% of staff in May, 2022.
Outside Inc. has also purchased and cut back Backpacker, Ski Magazine and others. All of this, as reported by TheTrek.co, from an email from Outside's CEO, Robin Thurston, is part of a major push to focus on profitability.
  • Also from the blog: In a 2021 Bicycle Retail article, reporter Steve Frothingham wrote that Thurston envisioned his media group becoming “the Amazon Prime of the active lifestyle: a connected, holistic ecosystem of resources — including content, experiences, utilities, community, commerce, education, and services — that can be customized for each active lifestyle enthusiast.”
Ooh am I now acronymized into an "ALE"? I can do my own damn customization myself, thank you very much, and much prefer to choose to spend my hard-earned armchair and experiential cash on vendors who are not pigeon-holing me into some or other category for max-short-term bottom-line results.

Yeah X2: What a lousy ski! ( for me especially, demoed at Snowmass on a hard-pack day - one of a few skis in my limited demo experience). But great marketing, I was subjected to considerable risk of purchase without demoing first.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Purely speculation but, I am guessing that these moves by Outside have something to do with the Nastar sanctioning fees doubling this season, the Nastar website has not been updated since last spring and no mention what so ever of this season's National Championships. Sad.

James

Out There
Instructor
What a lousy ski! ( for me especially, demoed at Snowmass on a hard-pack day - one of a few skis in my limited demo experience)
It’s a Soul7 for god’s sake, not a carving ski. For such a “bad” ski, they sold a helluva lot of them. It was also a great foil for indie companies to make anti-Soul 7 bro skis.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have never skied on the Soul 7 and I'm totally in the dark on why there's the hate. Could someone enlighten me?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The were fun in fresh light snow, very playful and pivoty. And absolutely no good anywhere else, too floppy and flexy, no stability, no decent edge grip. I think “wet noodle” was the description.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Soul7 was one of the few demo skis I've actually hated. And I tried it in several inches of new snow, where it should have shined. I described it as feeling vague.