• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Great "Boot Parts Are From England" Mystery

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thoroughly bent up a buckle mount on the stairs, like an idiot. I also need some longer bails or ladders. Not asking the hive to solve that problem. It's more that I'm curious about something else. It's something I've wondered about before when looking online at parts and also at things like aftermarket liners: Why are so many of the hits for these items on sites in the UK, and not in the US? Is there some kind of trade conflict going on here? US boot dealers don't want parts to be sold direct, but they can't do anything about what British vendors do? Is that it?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thoroughly bent up a buckle mount on the stairs, like an idiot. I also need some longer bails or ladders. Not asking the hive to solve that problem. It's more that I'm curious about something else. It's something I've wondered about before when looking online at parts and also at things like aftermarket liners: Why are so many of the hits for these items on sites in the UK, and not in the US? Is there some kind of trade conflict going on here? US boot dealers don't want parts to be sold direct, but they can't do anything about what British vendors do? Is that it?
Bumping this thread with a different angle. What is the best place to order boot parts on relatively short notice (i.e., not in England)? Thanks in advance.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Customer service ethic? We happen to have a few very good ski/boot shops: Solutions4feet (@cem), the Piste Office, Ski Bartlett, Anything Technical spring to mind and in the case of the first three you'll generally be speaking to the boss/ owner

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Try calling your local ski shop?
That is not a good option for me for several reasons. Just take it at face value.

Edit: For starters I'm not up to having to explain and justify ad nauseam. I know what I need and why I need it. I don't need a consultation. I just need the damn parts.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK. Just sayin' I've had surprisingly good luck in the past.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK. Just sayin' I've had surprisingly good luck in the past.
You're probably not as cranky as I am, username not withstanding.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I’ve gotten free used buckles from Surefoot but you gotta be at the store.

dm

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I think maybe it's a little bit of a different reason. The UK or flatland EU countries have worse local ski shop networks. It therefore makes sense to set up online sales for minor parts. Especially if they are tariff free, but let's not get into that mess.

The US is too good at reaching the end consumer*. Also, all parts need to be imported to the US and warehoused. Combine those two factors and it makes no sense to both supply parts to LSS, and import and maintain separate stock for direct order.

There are just too few @Tony S in the US :)

*for ski goods. for things like bike goods, well, there are far more Tonys.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
You need a consultation! (With the local 19 yr old)
Heh- doesn’t get any different around the world. Some years ago I went to a well known boot shop in Chamonix. Been there before, knew they mounted bindings with inserts.

So, I wanted some shims taken out of the look toe, then I need shorter machine screws for the inserts. So I bring the skis in, tell the guy what I want.

“Those aren’t inserts”
- Yes they are
“No, they’re definitely not insert screws”
-They really are
“How do you know?”
-Because I mounted them myself. Let’s just get a screwdriver and take one out.

Grudgingly gets the driver, finds out they really are machine screws.

So, turns out the reason he was
so adamant, and shifted into “customer is a moron” mode, is Quiver Killer screws look like regular binding screws. The stuff they use doe not look like a binding screw from the head. They had a hard time getting quality screws. I forget the details, but there were customs issues. I eventually talked with the owner on another visit.

I’ve got boot buckles I’m about to dispose of somehow. You could have a whole set if they work.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What brand and model boot are we talking? Not that I have any sources, just curious.
Late model Lange Z series.

I’ve got boot buckles I’m about to dispose of somehow. You could have a whole set if they work.
Thanks. I'm going to stop by a shop tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere. My online attempts have failed. (I can order what I need from the UK for a mere $94 US. The parts are worth about $40 tops. Probably about $3.29 if you look at what they actually ARE.) I'll let you know if I strike out.

PS: Never try to email a brick and mortar store. Just don't. I don't know why I never learn this lesson. Signed, Hates To Talk On The Phone Guy.

James

Out There
Instructor
You have to show up with beer.
They don’t know what to do with wine. Doesn’t spray, doesn’t burn.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You have to show up with beer.
This is the 21st century, not all shop guys drink and many are under 21, as you referenced above. Baked goods go a much longer way, as does a pizza or even a nice fondue.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Late model Lange Z series.

Thanks. I'm going to stop by a shop tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere. My online attempts have failed. (I can order what I need from the UK for a mere $94 US. The parts are worth about $40 tops. Probably about $3.29 if you look at what they actually ARE.) I'll let you know if I strike out.

PS: Never try to email a brick and mortar store. Just don't. I don't know why I never learn this lesson. Signed, Hates To Talk On The Phone Guy.
Will Rossi Z series buckles work? I have several, black or orange, take your pick! Do you need a longer one or shorter, or?? (If they'll work.)

ETA I think James is offering you beer AND buckles if you show up at his house!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, this is GREAT. Thanks @Philpug , @AmyPJ , and @James . I've got all these offers and now I don't really need them. I dug around in some boxes for the SECOND time and discovered that I had a victim I could cannibalize. So I did. It ain't pretty but it will work for the moment.

Sponsor

Staff online