• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The hardwood floor dilemma

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have engineered bamboo hardwood flooring, i.e. a thin bamboo veneer laminated to a plywood substructure. Overall we're very pleased with the product. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to clean it without leaving streaks or a haze. The floor manufacturer says vinegar and water so that's what I use with a clean swiffer-type mop. It has a flat, washable, sturdy terry cloth-like head. I see products that claim to be safe for "all" hardwood floors. Who uses what and to what degree of success? I'm not looking for a high gloss shine, just a brighter appearance than I'm getting.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used Bona brand and been pleased but my floor finish is an Alum Oxide on scrapped saddle color Hickory. I use a Rubbermaid Microfiber floor mop and I like the results, however this a personal opinion.

The best I can describe the "shine" is that it's bright but not glossy, the finish color is a "gunstock" or as noted a "Saddle" color.

the shade may make a significant difference. I have a co-worker with dark Bamboo engineered finish, I'll as her what she uses and it's results.

(heard Bellawood is a good product too as noted by @Pat AKA mustski )

ps, the microfiber mop is what you generally see used commercially. I'm a fan of commercial products for flooring and mopping tools.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My wife used vinegar and water in a spray bottle on the bamboo kitchen floor in our old house. We still use it in the new house but it is not bamboo flooring but engineered hardwood. She uses one of the polyester cleaning clothes on one of the pad type mops and I think it does the trick so you don't get streaks.

Sponsor

Staff online