• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a gear purchase thread for skiing. Now there's one for cycling. As a newb in the mtb/ebike world, I like seeing what others are getting, for whatever they're riding. My latest purchase? Chain lube. This thread has to start somewhere!
Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 3.09.11 PM.png

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
6FBDB8C7-EFBE-44C5-8BB0-1BB5BCFE14B0.jpeg

24c for front, 26c for rear after sidewall split on front tire on a road ride. I had 6000 miles on the old tires and I do ride gravel/dirt occasionally, so replaced with same except for width for rear. I got a discount on them due to some bike shop confusion.

I have a long list of bike-related purchases I’ve been contemplating (some for a long time)

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can I just wave at my bike stuff in general? I thought I spent lots of money on ski stuff, then I got into riding bikes a couple years ago... boy was I mistaken. Today I bought a XX1 chain for my fat bike.. Been using the same GX chain for 5 years now. Since it only see's winter riding it's prolly still okay just a little rusty.

Didn't buy it.. but I made it last week! Half frame bag for my 2023 Driftless ALR Checkpoint frame.. which is also new along with the Hunt X-Wide Gravel wheel set, the blue Panaracer GravelKings, and that lovely Bontrager RSL carbon seatpost.... Bars, stem, brakes and drivetrain all came off my CX bike that I was using as a gravel bike for the last few years.
20220822_080207.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, you bought a crown race but not a frame... something from the project stash?

Close. I bought a crown race, for a frame that I'm building up......getting close, stay tuned!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh man, this is gonna be a long thread indeed.

Last week only purchases:

1661630348700.png

1661630394870.png

1661630440021.png

1661630474450.png

and some other stuff...

Cycling is a black hole just as terrible as skiing and fishing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used the tubolitos, how are the scorpions?

Absolutely no idea. These are only to be used as back up, take-me-home solution in case it goes awfully wrong with the tubeless setup or just wrong with the butyl tubes on our bikes.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New Toy Day!!!

Replaces the pure race Supercaliber with a light, racey trail bike in the form of a Top Fuel.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Deets:
XL 9.8 GX AXS "starter kit"
Fox 34 Grip @ 130 mm
XT brakes
Bonty carbon post
Astral Serpentine wheels
XR3 front/Racing Ralph rear

Felt fast and nimble on the quick shakedown ride. Exceptional pedaling. Two-thirds Fuel EX and one-third Supercaliber.

TBD: Can I get the stuff from the Speedsleev (best saddle pack ever) into the down tube's storage locker? Almost certainly. But where does that leave me when I'm riding my beloved OG Slash?! Cue Ray Lamontagne's "Trouble".

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New Toy Day!!!

Replaces the pure race Supercaliber with a light, racey trail bike in the form of a Top Fuel.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Deets:
XL 9.8 GX AXS "starter kit"
Fox 34 Grip @ 130 mm
XT brakes
Bonty carbon post
Astral Serpentine wheels
XR3 front/Racing Ralph rear

Felt fast and nimble on the quick shakedown ride. Exceptional pedaling. Two-thirds Fuel EX and one-third Supercaliber.

TBD: Can I get the stuff from the Speedsleev (best saddle pack ever) into the down tube's storage locker? Almost certainly. But where does that leave me when I'm riding my beloved OG Slash?! Cue Ray Lamontagne's "Trouble".

SAWEEEEEET! Congrats man! Do tell more about that saddle bag.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wait wait wait, where is the dropper post?

I really liked the XR3's on my Top Fuel a couple years ago, surprising amount of grip with how short the tread blocks are.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just ordered my first Ebike. A Specialized Vado 4.0, should be here Wed or Thursday. It's a bit of a step up from my 1995 Trek 930 that's in surprisingly great shape considering it's use. Though the past couple years I've found it too uncomfortable and since I was just towing toddlers in a trailer I used my wife's bike. Of course our old Thule isn't really rated for weight of an ebike, so I also ordered a new T2 Pro XTR and gave the old Thule tray rack to my parents.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SAWEEEEEET! Congrats man! Do tell more about that saddle bag.

Speedsleeve. A size for every need, and a compartment for everything so no rattling. Easy and quick on and off. No seatpost loop, so very dropper post-compatible.

Better pics:

Wait wait wait, where is the dropper post?

I really liked the XR3's on my Top Fuel a couple years ago, surprising amount of grip with how short the tread blocks are.

No dropper personal preference.

XR3 is great. For max effect, it wants to be leaned, to get the XR4-sized side knobs engaged. Once we start getting regular rain, an XR4 will replace it.

Sponsor

Staff online