• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
New chain...
IMG_2511.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I remember those..

I suspect you remember the Cinelli Campione Del Mondo bars or the old Nitto Olympiade - this is very much like a 66-40 except 1 cm longer and with a modern clamp area. And lighter, if you can believe that. The bend is tighter than on the Olympiade.

It's going on the Lemond of course - the 3T bars that are on there now are just wrong from both fit and aesthetic viewpoints.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
$10 for a 10s Ultegra 50/34 crankset at the local bike swap this morning. Either gonna get used as a 1x system on a project in the future or gifted to my sisters fiancé's road bike that seriously needs some maintenance. The rings look a bit worn, but not bad to me.
20230603_200350.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep an eye on the bonding of the crankarms on the Ultegra crank. They can suffer from galvanic corrosion and fail - mine (of a newer generation) did. If these are hollow bonded aluminum you'll need to keep an eye on them - and I think they are.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep an eye on the bonding of the crankarms on the Ultegra crank. They can suffer from galvanic corrosion and fail

Also an issue with the chainring bolts. It may be a mechanism other than galvanic corrosion (is there any other kind?) but I've cracked two chainring bolts on that vintage of Ultegras, and never done that on any other crankset over the billion years I've been riding.

Side Note: That was a dickens of a creak detection event. :eek:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also an issue with the chainring bolts. It may be a mechanism other than galvanic corrosion (is there any other kind?) but I've cracked two chainring bolts on that vintage of Ultegras, and never done that on any other crankset over the billion years I've been riding.

Side Note: That was a dickens of a creak detection event. :eek:

Yup: I'd pull them, check them, and then use blue Loctite or some kind of anti-seize compound on them, just to be safe.

Or you can replace them - plenty of aftermarket options.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yup: I'd pull them, check them, and then use blue Loctite or some kind of anti-seize compound on them, just to be safe.

:D OK, not the copper-based stuff, eh? That can rot adjacent alu metals in like ... one sweaty warm day ride.

I know most people will not have ready access to it - but its funny how it makes dyed anodization corrode faster than plain oxide.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ED1B8D4B-BFCB-4270-93C8-849FB1540E8E.jpeg

I was trawling Craigslist to see what might be worth getting excited about when I found this XS-sized road bike. Wasn’t really thinking I needed a road bike but I was willing to part with $250 for what I got in exchange. It’s old — it has rim brakes — but it shifts great and is noticeably lighter than my gravel bike. Needs a little bit of tuning up and could use prettier bar tape, but I have a willing mentor who will help me with wrenching.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
View attachment 205224
I was trawling Craigslist to see what might be worth getting excited about when I found this XS-sized road bike. Wasn’t really thinking I needed a road bike but I was willing to part with $250 for what I got in exchange. It’s old — it has rim brakes — but it shifts great and is noticeably lighter than my gravel bike. Needs a little bit of tuning up and could use prettier bar tape, but I have a willing mentor who will help me with wrenching.
That's not a turd. Good catch!

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmf. I got up at 5:15 to go skate, walked out, couldn't see the water tower that's actually blocking my cell signal, and walked back in. AQI 245 then, no idea what it is now.

Near my flat in Dupont Circle it maxed out at 319 around 9:30am. It then dipped as low as 156 but is now back up to 193. It's expected to get back up near 300 in the morning before backing off gradually over the weekend until the wind shifts to a SSW origin as opposed to the NNW train it's had over the past few days.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given the price of replacement rings for that Ultegra crankset I've found so far, I think it's going to become the base for a 1x ring at some point. I don't particularly like front derailleurs anyways. Or I'll get lucky on ebay at some point and pick some good ones up for cheap.

I did talk to my LBS today, my new gen 6 Fuel EX 9.8 GX AXS (not transmission) will be here by the end of next week. I just had to pick a size an color that wasn't in stock back in early May.. Since it's not the newest one with Transmission on it, I still got it at the Trekfest sale price of 6k instead of 7.7k. It's still a crapload of money for a bike.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Near my flat in Dupont Circle it maxed out at 319 around 9:30am. It then dipped as low as 156 but is now back up to 193. It's expected to get back up near 300 in the morning before backing off gradually over the weekend until the wind shifts to a SSW origin as opposed to the NNW train it's had over the past few days.

I have great hopes for that tiny bit of rainstorm today. Gah. Even my eyes hurt on Weds.