• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. I also sweat a lot and have had a lot of success with Halo headbands. Pretty much the same idea as the ones you got.

I have no self control once I make a decision on things. I decided that I was NOT going to upgrade my aluminum 9zero7 Tundra to the Lynx frame this year for money reasons.. my car is in the shop for a bunch of suspension and stabilization bits that have worn out and I don't want to do that much work myself. Anyways, I have hated the stock fork that the Tundra came with because the threaded insert for the thru-axel isn't held in place with anything. Quite literally nothing but the shoulder on the outside holds it in place when the axel is tightened, it's just a sleeve that slides out of the fork and it's easily lost when taking the wheel off. I've had the fork off my wifes fatbike on mine all last winter since hers has a regular thruaxel and doesn't make me hate the world. Only issue is that her bike is a small.. and mine is a large and they have vastly different head tube lengths. That fork on my bike has maybe 33mm of steerer tube sticking out at most. The stem is barley hanging on to it.. Back to my lack of self control, I bought a Bontrager Haru Pro fat fork from my LBS today. I knew they have had one floating around the shop for a while now and I also knew it also still had an old pricing sticker on it. Got it for $349 today instead of the $449 that it is currently listed for from Trek. It's got plenty of steered tube for me to play with and I got it for a good price!

In other news.. the 2023 Fuel EX is a very very good looking bike in both appearance and spec. They let me creeep on the unannounced specs and geometry today. 150/140, 3 position angleset (steep/neutral/slack), High/Low Minolink flipchip, and mullet options. Head angles can be anywhere from about 66* (High/steep/29er) down to 62.9*(low/slack/mullet). I want it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. I also sweat a lot and have had a lot of success with Halo headbands. Pretty much the same idea as the ones you got.

Sadly, I haven't had the same luck as you with the Halo headbands, once they get saturated. Glad they work for you.

Conversely, the Halo skull caps seem to work great, maybe because of the add'l mat'l wicking more.

In other news.. the 2023 Fuel EX is a very very good looking bike in both appearance and spec. They let me creeep on the unannounced specs and geometry today. 150/140, 3 position angleset (steep/neutral/slack), High/Low Minolink flipchip, and mullet options. Head angles can be anywhere from about 66* (High/steep/29er) down to 62.9*(low/slack/mullet). I want it.

I bet this will be a great step forward from the current FEX, but I haven't yet wrapped my head around the few pics I've seen. Has a bit of a Niner look?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
My best "gear purchase" are often not purchases at all.

My riding buddy lives only a couple miles down the road from one of the big Conondale complex. He would ride by their campus once a month or so, not even on purpose. He would then just swing by their dumpster...

He never need to actually go INTO the dumpsters. There're often boxes pile high on the ground next to the dumpster. In those boxes are typically brand spanking new clothing with the wrong graphic, parts that are discontinued, you name it.

But in a bike club of 1000 strong, nobody but me and one other would make use of what he finds! Yeah, I got a lot of good stuff, for free. :)

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

My riding buddy lives only a couple miles down the road from one of the big Conondale complex. He would ride by their campus once a month or so, not even on purpose. He would then just swing by their dumpster...

He never need to actually go INTO the dumpsters. There're often boxes pile high on the ground next to the dumpster. In those boxes are typically brand spanking new clothing with the wrong graphic, parts that are discontinued, you name it.

But in a bike club of 1000 strong, nobody but me and one other would make use of what he finds! Yeah, I got a lot of good stuff, for free. :)
It's sad they would just discard good clothing. I'll wear pretty much anything if it fits. I'm L-XL if your friend happens to be by the boxes again.;)

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
It's sad they would just discard good clothing. I'll wear pretty much anything if it fits. I'm L-XL if your friend happens to be by the boxes again.;)
I'll let him know to keep a couple of the L-XL clothing. He doesn't have any suitable "target" for that size range at the moment.

Yes, it's sad for them to go to landfill. I do sometimes get asked about the various things on my jersey (usually cycling related, but sometimes charity supported) that I didn't know about...

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

When I was a kid we had a small Bachman distribution facility downtown. Though my mother told me I would get sick, many kids would grab bags of chips and cheese curls out of the dumpster. I really did not partake due to my mother’s admonishment.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
On a much smaller new purchase note, due to sweat generation and exertion levels, I've never found a helmet that allowed me to ride with glasses in the summer when training hard or racing.

Now I can: https://wickflow.com/product/2-pack/

Was very skeptical, but these are flat out unbelievable.
Dang it, couldn't resist. My wallet is $20 lighter now. I hope they work as advertised.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dang it, couldn't resist. My wallet is $20 lighter now. I hope they work as advertised.

I'm still happy. Yesterday, for the first time, I did saturate the thing, however I was:

1. Chasing the fastest 100 mile single speed racer I've ever known, who...

2. Happens to be 18 years younger than me, and....

3. Has a bit of fire in his belly, given that most of his target races this year have been busts, through no fault of his own.

:ogbiggrin: :geek:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1192B56F-4174-4749-A8EE-5173EC03F9EA.jpeg

Velocio is having a sale, and I find myself always reaching for one of the two Velocio Concept bibs that I own, so I ordered another pair, and added a Radiator jersey. Knowing I’ll be saving water by doing laundry less often helps me justify the spendy (even with the sale) purchase. I should be set for a while since the two bibs I bought last summer are holding up well.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ahh, good one. Be sure to share how you like them. These are very high on my list.

Eh, when I first put them on I seriously thought I had the wrong rubber. Tight. Tanky.

The casing is ...kinda thick to the touch. Initial promise is that these will be much tankier than the non-NEXT Corsas- even old style Rubino Pros are much more obviously supple. The inside of the tire has a kind of Spiderman webbing texture - I'm guessing to trap uncured latex and carry it 'round with the tire.

So...yeah.

At the 75psi hookless pressure they measure out to - 24.75mm. Like I said, I thought I had the wrong rubber.

Will have to see if I love them more over the next 2K but it's been a tough first date.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will have to see if I love them more over the next 2K but it's been a tough first date.

Bummer! IME, Vittoria doesn't miss the mark that often.

That said, a little Monday morning story: A million years, when Vittoria first started making tires anywhere but Italy, I bought a pair of one kind or another of 25s. Rode a century with them the first day. Front tire blew off the rim spectacularly at 3 mph as I coasted to stop in the parking lot at the end of the day.

Figured it to be an anomaly, but the rear did the same at the end of the driveway the next day.

Everybody stubs their toe once in awhile!

Sponsor

Staff online