• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thing is: @cantunamunch knows how tall I am and a 36" wheeled bike would look to scale for me. 700c wheels look somewhat undersized on a road or gravel bike when I ride mine, and my 26" wheel hardtail looks super weird.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I notice you didn't keep her on 559, 571 or 584 :)

Honestly, so would I, but I suspect this is yet another one of those cases @James is on about - where you have to beg, plead, exhort, chase down and tackle and hold Italian companies down until they actually sell you product they've been advertising.

EDIT: In the meantime, this is the best video to see the frame geo in:

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
GCN's own Conor Dunne made a video about his 36" wheeled bike last year.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pair of carbon "Surly Corner Bars" arrived today! For being something purchased from Aliexpress.. they feel very stiff, solid, and well finished. Had to go an install them on the bike to see how they look. Eventually I'll route the rear brake line through the frame and trim it down about 6", but for now the cables/hoses look like a disaster. Beyond that, I think the bike looks pretty sick, unfortunately I don't get to really ride it or take proper pictures of the bike for another 5 months.
20221205_213731.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Very nice! Can't wait to hear your assessment of them.

3 days in these things and ... the BOA worked fine, esp. with gloves.

NOT a fan of the heel-hold down clip and the sole rubber Lake used is waaaaay too stiff at 5-15F. It's more like a mud sole than a snow/ice sole, you know?

What I really, really want is a version of this boot with 5.10's pin-engagement rubber.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought way too much stuff recently.. so I'll just show you what I made for my fat bike recently. This is the third frame bag I've made for this bike, gets better each time :)
Mrs. K -- truly a pro-level seamstress -- says she approves heartily!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is the back of the car picture I sent my wife today. These are all for her Fuel EX frame I'm building up for her.
Marzocchi Bomber z1 air fork. It'll get sized down to 150 travel soon.
2x Magrua MT5 brakes
GX AXS upgrade kit

Was originally going to do all Shimano 12s.. but she doesn't know how and doesnt really understand adjusting gear indexing. Plus she gets super angry and falls over if something misshifts. I decided that she's better off with electronic shifting, once I set it up, it'll be perfect.
20230111_131013.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online