• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. 23 mm above the rim, 24 and change wide.

Gremlins?

Tuna, I'd send back any 28c tire that measured 23/24.

Or at least call and inquire.

Some companies run a wee bit on the small side, but that's crazy, IMO.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
What internal width rim on those GravelKings? I've got mine on 25mm internal and they are right around 42mm.
Can't recall for sure but I think i recall that they are 27mm. There are different gravel king submodels. I wouldn't expect them to influence shape that much. So likely it is my old eyes.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife decided to get a momentum LaFree as well so I picked them both up last Friday. I’ve since taken the front fenders off after a short trip home so they can fit more securely on the rack.

I plan on cutting the fenders back in the front and putting them back on.
83E6ADA0-A324-466F-BA35-B247FAD6FCD7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Screenshot 2022-09-09 213700.png

I bought this for the wife today, a size small set for 27.5 wheels and it should ride on my LBS's next freight order in a couple weeks. After looking over the things that would be changed immediately (swap out the seat, grips, brakes, rotors, and tires) from the available 7 or 8 spec if we got a complete bike. I figured it would just be better to start with a frame and build it up as she would like it to be. She wants to run her preferred seat off her hardtail, ESI chunky silicone grips, Magura brakes and matching rotors, and we are going to see if her hardtails current 2.8 DHR/DHF tires will fit in the frame. I'm planning on a Shimano 12speed set up, hopefully an XT shifter and cassette with SLX for everything else although it will depend on what I can actually get. Fairly certain it's going to get a Fox 36 or a Lyric for the fork and a set of Hunt alloy wheels. Since our mtb season is just about over, this project has 8 months to work on getting parts and getting it ready for May next year.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Bummer! IME, Vittoria doesn't miss the mark that often.

Everybody stubs their toe once in awhile!

I was planning on having>300km on them by this weekend but...stuff happened. 150km it is.

The dial indicator on these has gone from 'displeased eyebrow' to 'well chuffed'.

Tough, precise, quick. Tough in a 'I would rather ride these on gravel connectors without an insert, than an old Rubino Pro with an insert' way. Also, damp - but only in the rolling direction. They are not damp in the cross-rolling direction, and bikes with high speed shimmy issues won't feel good with these on.

So yeah. I would have no problem recommending this tire as a rough road training tire, esp if your frame has tight clearance issues :D

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20220916_192735.jpg

XT shifter, XT rear derailleur, and a Deore 10-51 cassette. First of many parts for the winter build up of my wife's new full sus bike. 2023 Trek Fuel EX frame should show up at the shop next week. Got all winter to shop for the right fork and wheels. I'm aiming for that goldilocks build of light and durable, but not terrible expensive for her bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_1199.JPG

For those of you that also monkey around a fair bit with their rear suspension, you know that changing volume reducers is pretty quick and easy, BUT pumping the shock back up takes forever.

This has twice the volume of a Rockshox digital pump.......and costs less.

Solstice present to myself! :ogbiggrin:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was just out in Utah for the 5 Canyons Challenge gran fondo and while there picked up a few new bike bits. The best of the lot is this pair of Giro Imperial road shoes that I found on mega clearance at Level Nine Sports. MSRP is $425, bought for $112.25. They're super comfortable, mega stiff, and feather light. Also: bright white!

IMG_7874.jpg

Note that there are transparent bits so whatever socks you wear will create color highlights with the shoes. Given I've got tons of great Ridge Supply socks at my disposal it's not difficult to find something that works well.

Other things acquired were more mundane: cleats, chain lube, etc.

The event jersey from 5 Canyons is a corker, a proper Euro pro cut from DNA Cycling. I'll get a picture of that when I wear it with full kit. My try-on of it had me super happy, to say the least: nice fit, no weird creasing, bunching, or wrinkling. Euro pro cut isn't everyone's cuppa but I love it.

Still waiting for the Velocio Unity jersey to arrive, but I'm sure it'll fit wonderfully when it does. They do make lovely kit, and it seems that SRAM is letting them operate as their own entity which is definitely for the best.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was just out in Utah for the 5 Canyons Challenge gran fondo and while there picked up a few new bike bits. The best of the lot is this pair of Giro Imperial road shoes that I found on mega clearance at Level Nine Sports. MSRP is $425, bought for $112.25. They're super comfortable, mega stiff, and feather light. Also: bright white!

View attachment 178805

Note that there are transparent bits so whatever socks you wear will create color highlights with the shoes. Given I've got tons of great Ridge Supply socks at my disposal it's not difficult to find something that works well.

Other things acquired were more mundane: cleats, chain lube, etc.

The event jersey from 5 Canyons is a corker, a proper Euro pro cut from DNA Cycling. I'll get a picture of that when I wear it with full kit. My try-on of it had me super happy, to say the least: nice fit, no weird creasing, bunching, or wrinkling. Euro pro cut isn't everyone's cuppa but I love it.

Still waiting for the Velocio Unity jersey to arrive, but I'm sure it'll fit wonderfully when it does. They do make lovely kit, and it seems that SRAM is letting them operate as their own entity which is definitely for the best.

Solid stuff! White in road shoes is the red in skis-simply faster.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
After years of banging around on a hardtail I bought, well reserved for October delivery, my first full squish. It will be much easier on my back and probably encourage me to hit some stuff I shouldn't be encouraged to hit. That it is made by a company about an hour's drive from my house is the cherry on top.
1663975947833.png

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I waited literally a year but finally got the Hope lipless pedals I ordered last October. I hope the live up to my expectations (like every other Hope Tech product has).

4BF49858-8EF7-4F04-9A70-F7A29933902A.jpeg

A new pair of Bontrager Foray shoes to go with them. Not big on the color but they fit nice.
F1ADCB04-FCE3-4453-89F4-1A9A0DCDF598.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online