• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This thread has been so quiet ... and it's almost Christmas ...

In October, I pestered Phil and Tricia and Susan about a replacement powder ski for my Icelantic Gypsies, which were too much work for me. It turned out powder7.com had demo stock of the Volkl Ones, so I bought those, after much agonizing, in a 166. But the length really didn't sit well with me as a powder ski, and my back of the envelope calculations suggested it wouldn't float me as much as I'd like. I skied them once in powder and I liked them, but I still felt like they were probably going to feel short if I actually took them to anything with pitch. Slowly, with the help of all you fine folk, I began to think that maybe I could ski something in the mid-170s without falling to pieces.

So. I called powder7 last night and said, hey, this is highly irregular and of course I know I already bought these skis and even skied on them once, but do you think I could trade up to your demo Ones in a 176s instead? And ... and this is where I am QUITE impressed ... they said yes! It helps that I am local, so no shipping involved. And then they said, hey, if you're really looking for a dedicated powder ski, what about the Two? At your weight, if you don't want to go longer than a 176, that wider ski is going to give you more float on deep days. And I said I had already sold my Gypsies that were that size, and they explained the differences in how they would ski, and long story short ... later this week I'll be driving over to powder7 to trade in my Ones at 166 for Twos at 176. I feel better about that waist and that length for a powder ski. Some (*koff* @Jeff N *koff) would say I should go even longer, but 4" taller than me is more than enough - I'm not ready to jump to a 186. The Twos are a bit more used and consequently would have been cheaper, but I basically got a one-day demo experience of the One for $40 all said and done. Also, I've always liked Powder7, and now I like them a whole lot more.

AND my husband was looking for something between his Bacons and his Gypsies, so I'll also be picking up a pair of demo JJ 2.0s @ 185 from the same place.

AND some folks around here were talking up the La Nina, which I guess is the women's equivalent to the Patron, and since I like the Santa Ana so much and a ski buddy raves about the La Nina as her daily driver (although she's a much better and more aggressive skier than me), AND since @SkiEssentials gave me such a sweet deal on them, I have a pair of La Ninas @169 (same length as my Santa Anas) coming my way. Last season's graphics, but new.

Nothing like a little retail therapy / dumbo's feather when you have a tough ski day you're trying to erase from memory ...

After the buyer's high had reduced to a mild, pleasant buzz, I looked a little more closely, and damn if that La Nina shovel isn't just as big as the Two shovel. But the turning radius (yes, I know, I know) is half the size. Very different skis. I'm excited to hop on them. Let's hope there are conditions worthy of the Twos this season, especially mid Jan to mid Feb while I'm taking an extended vacation.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Pre-christmas overhaul of the ski-clothing setup for moi, thanks to some friendly mags over at TGR.

Previously I skied in $40 discount "Marker" bibs from STP, and one of the following jackets: Patagonia's low-end Softshell (no hood - spring), GoLite GoreTex Hardshell, old (15+years?) REI GoreTex shell.

Now for $200 shipped, I've got some barely used Trew Trewth bibs and a Flylow Higgins jacket. The material on each feels very durable.

Bibs have tons of pockets (including a zippered pocket inside a Velcro pocket), really awesome cuff guards, and full-length side zips for venting when it gets warm. They're my first uninsulated pant -- so may require some layering adjustments.

The jacket is a bit stretchy, well cut, and DWR is in great shape. Very simple, no-frills. Just well-placed pockets, a couple of snaps for keeping it locked down to my bibs, and a soft lining which is a nice touch compared to other shells I've been in.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Paid for these:
15.16_ON3P_BillyGoat_1024x1024.png

Might end up on something different altogether.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought these last week:
12380162_10208539021139357_524281116_n.jpg

Because it's doing this at Snowbasin right now:
12391967_10208577621384339_6676121196574125512_n.jpg

And I can't really even ski powder. They are my motivation to get out there and start learning it, and to improve on my skill set! I figure I might as well have good tools to learn how to ski it with.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And I can't really even ski powder. They are my motivation to get out there and start learning it, and to improve on my skill set! I figure I might as well have good tools to learn how to ski it with.

That's the great thing about fat skis - you don't have to be as good at skiing powder. I like to think it allows you to learn without being punished quite so harshly. Honestly every habit/quirk that makes skiing powder difficult is a habit/quirk in your overall skiing - it just doesn't punish you as badly.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the great thing about fat skis - you don't have to be as good at skiing powder. I like to think it allows you to learn without being punished quite so harshly. Honestly every habit/quirk that makes skiing powder difficult is a habit/quirk in your overall skiing - it just doesn't punish you as badly.

That's what I figured. I feel like I'm already making strides in my skiing to be able to handle it better this year than I ever have. And boy, do we have it this year! I think a pow lesson is in order...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Saw a TNF fart bag that caught my eye in eBay just now. Fifty bucks delivered. I've had a Descente one for years, doesn't really match any of my other gear though, only worn it a couple times. But, something to be said about being able to just step in to one then boots and hit the trail when staying on the mountain. Also not beyond throwing it on over jeans then stepping out of it for the 3 hour drive home instead of wearing ski pants over thermals.

$_3.JPG

$_3.JPG

m-0LdTXXhbEIX_dB7FhLmEA.jpg

I've got jackets and pants along the same color scheme, matches a lot of my skis too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's a weird one I bought today. I've used the same waxless XC touring skis for about 20 years. They are Kneissl Pentron 59's (59 being the width of the tip!) I picked them up in a summer sale , and found they were just right for knocking around on the trails here.

Last year I broke one. I slogged two hours on one ski, got home, and put them on the rack. I've been using Mrs, Newfy's since then because her boots for those bindings have been eating her feet, but it has been clear that once she find a boot, I've got to find something else. Problem is, as alpine skis got short and wide, market pressure forced XC skis to do the same, even though there was no good reason for it. I prefer the older skis.

She now has the boots on order, so I need to find something. I thought, heck just google them---they were obscure 20 years ago but who knows?

I got some mentions in German. A pair was sold on ebay in 2010. A pair was advertised in a Detroit paper sometime. And a mint pair was listed on Craigslist about a mile from my house two days ago! And it was not a pair from Bend, but rather they were bought in North Carolina, by a Norwegian guy who is moving to Turkey to be closer to Norway. No, I did not make that up.

New condition, same bindings, $39. The only available pair in America. A mile from my house. Merry Christmas.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm on the SNS Back Country binding, the same one still used in current heavier Salomon boots.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was under the possibly mistaken impression that there were two different Solly BC, the older one called BC and the newer 'X' - are they one and the same, just with a name change?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The BC and the XA are different binding designs but they fit the same boots. The BC has a flip lever, the XA is pseudo- step in with a spring you can push down on with a pole.

Salomon has lost out to the NNN people though. They are so similar, it is a shame they are not compatible.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a weird one I bought today. I've used the same waxless XC touring skis for about 20 years. They are Kneissl Pentron 59's (59 being the width of the tip!) I picked them up in a summer sale , and found they were just right for knocking around on the trails here.

Last year I broke one. I slogged two hours on one ski, got home, and put them on the rack. I've been using Mrs, Newfy's since then because her boots for those bindings have been eating her feet, but it has been clear that once she find a boot, I've got to find something else. Problem is, as alpine skis got short and wide, market pressure forced XC skis to do the same, even though there was no good reason for it. I prefer the older skis.

She now has the boots on order, so I need to find something. I thought, heck just google them---they were obscure 20 years ago but who knows?

I got some mentions in German. A pair was sold on ebay in 2010. A pair was advertised in a Detroit paper sometime. And a mint pair was listed on Craigslist about a mile from my house two days ago! And it was not a pair from Bend, but rather they were bought in North Carolina, by a Norwegian guy who is moving to Turkey to be closer to Norway. No, I did not make that up.

New condition, same bindings, $39. The only available pair in America. A mile from my house. Merry Christmas.

Now that's pretty amazing! your only mistake is you should of bought a Lotto ticket the moment you found em!! :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$200 for new 2014 Nordica Wild Belles with integrated bindings, shipped.

14009217-.jpg

Funny, my best deal is similar. $225 off eBay for a pair of Nordica Infinite's for my wife. Bindings included. They remain her favorite hardpack ski ever. Big edge hold on the nice pitches and firm snow at Sun Valley.

Sponsor

Staff online