• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I’m impressed with the fence cross-braces. :)
That’s a nice roof carrier. Yeah, I want to get an awning as well.
I imagine the new roof carrier is more aerodynamic as well…which is worth the purchase, IMO.
(My Sienna arrived yesterday…pick it up Monday! Does that qualify as a new gear purchase??)
New car day right in time for the season. Certainly counts!

And yeah, new one is about a decade younger than the old so should be a little bit more efficient.

Re:awning: We've been pretty happy with the ARB. Yes it costs at the top end. But quality is worth it. We have the built in LEDs which is very nice for hanging out in the evening. And the one time bozo me didn't bother with guy lines, a big storm came through and knocked it over breaking a plastic leg connector -- we easily got a replacement shipped to our next destination for <$30. A quick bolt and an easy fix.

Mounting it using ARBs L-brackets was pretty simple too. If you don't mind drilling one set of holes in your cross bars.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

And yeah, new one is about a decade younger than the old so should be a little bit more efficient.

Re:awning: We've been pretty happy with the ARB. Yes it costs at the top end. But quality is worth it. We have the built in LEDs which is very nice for hanging out in the evening. And the one time bozo me didn't bother with guy lines, a big storm came through and knocked it over breaking a plastic leg connector -- we easily got a replacement shipped to our next destination for <$30. A quick bolt and an easy fix.

Mounting it using ARBs L-brackets was pretty simple too. If you don't mind drilling one set of holes in your cross bars.

I have long given up on using semi-permanent/permanent awnings in CO. The high winds are the mortal enemy of those things. We moved on to the use of multiple stand-alone large umbrellas which can be conveniently protected. We lost two awnings before I saw the light...

We keep the umbrellas closed until needed. We had a habit of leaving the awnings in place because they were a hassle (or impossible) to temporarily remove/close. And of course that laziness resulted in destroyed coverings.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Your Sienna has a cool factor that mine doesn’t. Mine is technologically cool; yours is adventure-cool. :ogcool:

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Noodler -- interestingly we've had ours up a lot in CO without a problem. It's when I failed to guy-line it in Nebraska that I f***ed up. Certainly some advantages to having a freestanding / mobile shade solution as well.

@Wendy -- yours will get there :).

New skis when I just got home :)

245666684_570010664274220_7256613654437085226_n.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Noodler -- interestingly we've had ours up a lot in CO without a problem. It's when I failed to guy-line it in Nebraska that I f***ed up. Certainly some advantages to having a freestanding / mobile shade solution as well.

View attachment 145160

Ahhh, the new graphics...beautiful.. beautiful....

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 145160
The skis are cool, but I’m kinda partial to the stegosaurus.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Triceratops.

Apologies...

OOF.
And…..my husband is a paleontologist. :rolleyes:

The cool part is actually what is under the triceratops.

The radio is "functional". I pulled out the old guts, and snuck an Alexa in there that is our main hub. Had to add a hole to run some electricity to it, but it's fun to surprise folks when the speaker is still playing tunes.

0CE39D6E-9689-4F5B-8CED-CBD2C0673C6B_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, I got a family 3rd pair of attack2-13, flame yellow. It was a great price and you never know when a new pair of skis might show up. I also still have the old BD Kilowatts which are now without bindings so they won't go to waste either way.

Sponsor

Staff online