• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oohhhh, that's a KEEPAH!!! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

I'd be bit concerned about her taste in designer stuff, but hey, you will just work more, no biggy...:roflmao:
She buys everything with her own money as I could never afford to keep up with her spending! I do pretty well but shes in another planet! Think the movie Notting Hill and that would be pretty accurate. Lol

She has bought me skis before and expanded the watch collection. Definitely a keeper!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think a lot of the high priced stuff is a result of the Veblen Effect and I try to not be over impressed by the hype.
Agreed as even within the prestige bags brands, the “entry level/base” versions are almost frowned upon vs the their upper end versions. There have been many articles written about the high return on investment of high end bags. My GF has had bags double in value within a year because they were so rare and in demand. :huh:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
When I worked at a high end stereo store, it was comical how often we would swap out stereo components while the “wife was at yoga” or would make up fake cheaper receipts on paper(actual receipts would be done on the computer system) for the husbands to show their wives. “It was only $500 for those speakers honey” :roflmao:

Was with a female customer one time and someone was asking for a “fake receipt” for his wife and my customer laughed as she sold very expensive cookware that average $5k plus for set(15 years ago) and she did fake receipts for the wives! “These pots only cost a few hundred dollars honey”
haha

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When I worked at a high end stereo store, it was comical how often we would swap out stereo components while the “wife was at yoga” or would make up fake cheaper receipts on paper(actual receipts would be done on the computer system) for the husbands to show their wives. “It was only $500 for those speakers honey” :roflmao:

Was with a female customer one time and someone was asking for a “fake receipt” for his wife and my customer laughed as she sold very expensive cookware that average $5k plus for set(15 years ago) and she did fake receipts for the wives! “These pots only cost a few hundred dollars honey”
haha
High end stereo, is that still a thing with the streaming music business through your phone or computer? I know that I can connect my laptop to an amplifier and push the music through some speakers. But the music data files are not anything that special that you need sophisticated equipment.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
High end stereo, is that still a thing with the streaming music business through your phone or computer? I know that I can connect my laptop to an amplifier and push the music through some speakers. But the music data files are not anything that special that you need sophisticated equipment.
Music files are now available for downloads that have higher resolution than even cds have, so there’s actually an even larger need for high quality DA(digital to analog) converters in your music streamers.

Most people have no idea how good a digital system can sound if they have just heard compressed music files through a computer sound card which would have a very mediocre DA converter.

Most internet radio stations are compressed music files but there are services like Tidal that offer better than CD sound via the internet. Upgrading the sound card and using a better external DA converter would vastly improve a computer’s sound quality along with the better quality, non compressed signal.

I left the hifi business about 14 years ago to start my car detailing business full time and steaming was just starting then. Same companies doing great CD players started doing streamers instead. Everyone stored their existing CD collection uncompressed on a NAS hard drive and then could stream even higher res versions online.

Home theatre drives the market but a streamer or turntable could be added as a source on those too.

Go4Mikester

Booting up
Skier
Haven’t lived in snow country for 10+ years…. time to get serious

Mine:
Scarps Maestrale RS
Shift bindings

Oldest:
Nordic JR Team skis 130cm w/bindings
Salomon used boots

Kid 2-3:
2 rental setups

Wife:
Nothing

Next course of action is skis for me…. currently between Fischer Ranger 102 FR and Black Crows Corvus Freebirds (no I’m not TRYING to buy pink skis lol).

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Music files are now available for downloads that have higher resolution than even cds have, so there’s actually an even larger need for high quality DA(digital to analog) converters in your music streamers.

Most people have no idea how good a digital system can sound if they have just heard compressed music files through a computer sound card which would have a very mediocre DA converter.

Most internet radio stations are compressed music files but there are services like Tidal that offer better than CD sound via the internet. Upgrading the sound card and using a better external DA converter would vastly improve a computer’s sound quality along with the better quality, non compressed signal.

I left the hifi business about 14 years ago to start my car detailing business full time and steaming was just starting then. Same companies doing great CD players started doing streamers instead. Everyone stored their existing CD collection uncompressed on a NAS hard drive and then could stream even higher res versions online.

Home theatre drives the market but a streamer or turntable could be added as a source on those too.
I like good quality music and the majority of my collection is saved as FLAC files. But I haven't had a dedicated speaker system since I got married (unrelated to the marriage, it's simply the same time as when we moved a couple times in a summer before buying our house). I now mostly listen via bluetooth in my car or bluetooth earbuds. Which does not do full justice to the music cause of the limitations in bluetooth bandwidth.. oh well. I just really like the convivence of wireless now.

My ski related purchase today is a deposit on a set of Intuition Pro Tour Wrap liners for my 3 year old Solomon S/Lab MTN boots. Powderhound hopes they will arrive in December and I'm tentatively planning a quick trip to them to get them cooked in January. Wish Powderhound was closer to me, but hopefully I can wrangle a day or two of skiing at Alyeska when I go to get them cooked into my touring boots.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

I can cast mp3s from windows media player on my computer to my receiver (denon) on the home network and play music that way. This uses the wifi connection, not bluetooth. It sounds pretty good to me! I have no idea if the sound card plays any role in this process. All my CDs were ripped to mp3 format and fit on a thumbnail size flash drive (128GB capacity on that drive).

That receiver is about 8 years old - probably better stuff out there now.

Seahaven

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been looking for a decent deal on a pair of 172 Elan Wingman 82 CTI skis. I just came across just that at OutdoorXL- they have a pair that were used as test skis. $394 and they are mounting the bindings, $461 with shipping to the US (OutdoorXL is in the Netherlands). Pretty good price for essentially brand new skis and new bindings. Pictures to come when they arrive!
IMG_2372 (1).jpg

Not a scratch on them. They aren't essentially brand new skis and bindings, they are brand new. Pretty pleased! It's Friday, and they have already made it from the Netherlands to my living room. Now if there was some snow...

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can cast mp3s from windows media player on my computer to my receiver (denon) on the home network and play music that way. This uses the wifi connection, not bluetooth. It sounds pretty good to me! I have no idea if the sound card plays any role in this process. All my CDs were ripped to mp3 format and fit on a thumbnail size flash drive (128GB capacity on that drive).

That receiver is about 8 years old - probably better stuff out there now.
Last post that’s not ski gear buying related!

MP3 is a compression format, so the sound would not be as good as if you played the actual CD into the system but allows for a lot more album or song storage on smaller hard/USB drives. FLAC or Apple Lossless would be the uncompressed way of storing cds onto a hard drive.
I use a similar USB stick for my car music using MP3 compression settings less than a typical internet radio/Sirius radio station so the CD is closer to “CD quality” but still get lots of albums on there.

You’d be using the DA converters in your receiver in your scenario and not the Sound Card of the computer. The better the receiver, the better the converters, amplifiers etc and Denon makes solid units still with a large range of options.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Got them home tonight. Bindings mounted and ready to go. Mounted the Atomic Warden 13s on them. First trip of the year is scheduled for next month. Let it snow!
View attachment 146800
You are in good company, the guy on my right was also on them today.
54A5C658-DAF2-48BC-BEB3-DD98D84196AA.jpg

Last edited:

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am now trying to track it down.
Wish the NSSRA wasn't so tight with the list. I've found last year's list with the exception of Elan online, but then found Elan's current list in their tech manual. Actually, I wish the manufacturers would make their own lists readily available and undercut the NSSRA.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This was waiting for me when I got home from the first day on the hill..never got shipping notice or tracking despite it being my most expensive piece of ski gear ever. Scott E1 Patrol 30. I couldn't justify not carrying an airbag pack any longer, especially with a week-long Level 2 in a Canadian hut just 3 months away. While there are some cheaper canister style systems available, the supercapacitor/fan design seems like a piece of gear I'll hold onto longer.

I also ordered just the 40L bag (the E1 Airbag system is swappable.) Couldn't find anyone in the states with it so got a UK hookup.

EDIT: And already pulled the trigger for the first time. Worked a charm. Plugging in to a USB to recharge (and/or AA batteries) means the limits to using the system is primarily your patience for repacking the bag (~5min). What's the advantage of canisters at this point besides price?

251297704_1040661796721694_7414984718243980579_n.jpeg

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Scott E1 Patrol 30.

As an electromechanical engineer, I'm pretty impressed with this airbag system design and execution. It looks very well done. I stick to the inbounds, so this is not for me. But it is very cool to see airbags designed well.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As an electromechanical engineer, I'm pretty impressed with this airbag system design and execution. It looks very well done. I stick to the inbounds, so this is not for me. But it is very cool to see airbags designed well.
Yeah -- the supercapacitor based system made the most sense to me as a non-engineer. The same travel/reuse advantages other battery/fan based systems like the Black Diamond. But with lighter weight and no impact of the very cold.

Sponsor