• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d be all over those skis from Sierra but not so sure about 178 length. I’ve never gone that short with a ski that I intend to use in powder/crud conditions. I already have some unused Forza 2.0….and crazy how close of a match it is to that ski.

So much for the theory that Forza’s aren’t intended to match a ski…. Those will look awesome mounted up.
These skis are for my wife. If they had the 180+ in stock at Sierra, I'd be tempted....but I am also really REALLY interested in the Black Ops 108/110 so thats keeping me disciplined lol

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got some ATK Crest bindings for $300 off the Black Diamond website! After thinking I’d have to pay $400+ on Telemark Pyrenees. It’s a pretty good price for these bindings.

They are blue. They feel super light. I will be mounting them on Volkl Blaze 94 Ws. It’ll be a very blue ski.

Now to find some Pomoca skins on sale…

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Just got some ATK Crest bindings for $300 off the Black Diamond website! After thinking I’d have to pay $400+ on Telemark Pyrenees. It’s a pretty good price for these bindings.

They are blue. They feel super light. I will be mounting them on Volkl Blaze 94 Ws. It’ll be a very blue ski.

Now to find some Pomoca skins on sale…
I am loving this set up
1657803448519.png

James

Out There
Instructor
You bought a pair of Kastle?
Someone with my name found a very good deal on the long one. When the truck showed up, I didn’t turn it away.

This is actually my third Fx, but first new current year model. Also had an Mx83 for some time, Hoping this current one does have dome of the first gen magic. This does seem to be more on the power side than that first gen.

@mdf on my Fx 104, 2015 version. Nearly full camber, with “grudging” rocker.
8E4E01FD-B0CB-40A6-AE1C-CDBB2A8EC804.jpeg

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone with my name found a very good deal on the long one. When the truck showed up, I didn’t turn it away.

This is actually my third Fx, but first new current year model. Also had an Mx83 for some time, Hoping this current one does have dome of the first gen magic. This does seem to be more on the power side than that first gen.

@mdf on my Fx 104, 2015 version. Nearly full camber, with “grudging” rocker.
View attachment 173848

Well congrats then! My 2015 FX94's were my favorite ski for a few years. Not the first gen but magical for me.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
New Kastle Fx 96ti

View attachment 173835

They’re not light. New fangled toilet bowls on tips are not translucent.
If they're anything like the FX106tis I've demoed, they are only partly like a standard Kastle, even the earlier FX ones, because they have some rocker and act like it, lifting up in powder/chop/crud and playful instead of just plowing/carving through it all as if it weren't there. They actually felt to me like modern skis, not race derived sorta throughbacks as per Kastle usual. Hope they work.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
They actually felt to me like modern skis, not race derived sorta throughbacks as per Kastle usual.
The 1st gen Fx line was very different to what it became. They were really geared to side country touring or shortish touring.
Then they became just another boring resort ski.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What an odd comment. Heavens.

I don't know about that. Your post implies you bought each model available from Peak. Most would consider that to be overkill so what's the reasoning for having each model beyond potentially being a completionist who has to have the whole collection of something?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 1st gen Fx line was very different to what it became. They were really geared to side country touring or shortish touring.
Then they became just another boring resort ski.
I owned a pair of, I think, first generation FX84s. (Around 2012s or so maybe?, with a maroon to red purplish tip cutout and a shade of purplish brown otherwise.) They were good in bumps, not pure carvers. One had to add something slightly extra to get them to do a carving turn. Otherwise, they would slightly slarve, just fine and dandy for bumps and irregular off piste. Not sure if that was first generation, though.
I kept them for going on ten years and still liked them. I just stopped using them and would always grab other skis, finally. Still good, though.

I don't know about that. Your post implies you bought each model available from Peak. Most would consider that to be overkill so what's the reasoning for having each model beyond potentially being a completionist who has to have the whole collection of something?
I didn't buy them all. Just more than one. And that's a pretty demeaning comment, seems like. Not worth much more.

They seem very promising, and across the range of them - six, actually - very different from one another, to me, and perhaps as excellent as Bode's Crosson skis turned out to be; also very different from the six Peaks - worth trying, more than maybe 90% of the skis out there right now; almost as interesting to me as the various Augments, only those apparently won't be available for another year, and are substantially more expensive.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't buy them all. Just more than one. And that's a pretty demeaning comment, seems like. Not worth much more.

They seem very promising, and across the range of them - six, actually - very different from one another, to me, and perhaps as excellent as Bode's Crosson skis turned out to be; also very different from the six Peaks - worth trying, more than maybe 90% of the skis out there right now; almost as interesting to me as the various Augments, only those apparently won't be available for another year, and are substantially more expensive.

Well, your post with the photos is confusing at best then. It seemed to me that you bought them all. People don't typically post photos of the whole MX line from Kastle and say they just bought a few of these. Regardless, I don't think his post was demeaning. Respectfully, I think you're reading too much into it.

James

Out There
Instructor

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, that was odd to me too. So almost the same, seemingly - in shape. But the descriptions of how they behave, especially the wider ones, are so different from ski to ski.

I just get the sense that they aren't really describing much of the underlying dynamics of what is going on from ski to ski, and what is going into each ski, the underlying design inputs: it seems likely they are simplifying what they are saying, as opposed to what they did in construction, maybe.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online